Jan 24, 2014, 11:09 AM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Discussion

Tucano 40 by Phoenix

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBGZU&P=ML

I've got this model ordered and will soon begin assembly. I can't find much discussion on RCG about it. Only an old, dead, assembly log.

I'm planning to power it electric. Probably with a 46 size motor and either 4 or 5s battery. Does anyone have any experience with this plane, especially with electric power?
Last edited by dbc; Jan 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2014, 09:16 PM
DBC
You will really like this plane.Had mine for a year now and flys like it is on rails with no bad habits. Only mod I did was to fiberglass the motor box just for insurance. The fit and finish on this airplane is really good considering the price. The nylon wing bolts are a little long, but I didn't want to take a chance cutting them and messing up the threads.
The nose gear is a work of art, I didn't put retracts on mine but did add the Robart scale plastic main gear covers. Didn't like the looks of the wire gear showing.
I am flying on a Value Hobby G46 motor with 12X6 apc prop, Hurc 100amp speed control, castle 10 amp bec and 5S 4000 Fire Power 50C battery and all Futaba standard servos.
I tried a 4 cell, not enough juice for this plane the 5S is perfect imo.
Give yourself plenty of room to land on your maiden flight as she doesn't slow down very fast.Take-Off is a non event, tracts straight and climbs right out.
Last edited by xmech; Jan 25, 2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: add photo
Jan 26, 2014, 03:15 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Hey, xmech, thanks for the post! My plane will be here in a couple of days and I'll probably assemble it fairly quickly as I'll be homebound for recuperation from a medical procedure.

I really don't need another plane, but I do need something to keep me busy for a while.
My power system will be very similar to yours - good to hear that it performs well on a 46 with 5s. Your inflight picture looks great. It's got me eager to get started on it.

Any particular assembly issues to watch out for?
Jan 26, 2014, 06:16 PM
"Any particular assembly issues to watch out for" ?

Not that I can remember. I did go over all the glue joints I could get to. It's been holding up well with no issues.
Jan 26, 2014, 07:11 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
It looks like the battery actually goes partially thru the firewall. Was their enough room in the compartment to move your 4000 5s forward/backward? Did it balance on the correct CG easily?
Jan 27, 2014, 01:24 AM
Hello,

Do you have to remove the wings to change batteries, or is there access through a hatch?

Thanks? Mickydee
Jan 27, 2014, 08:47 AM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
The online manual shows a removable canopy hatch. I'm counting on this being correct!

A previous version of this plane did not have this and required cutting a hatch or wing removal for battery access.

Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow - know more about it then.
Jan 27, 2014, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hello,

Do you have to remove the wings to change batteries, or is there access through a hatch?

Thanks? Mickydee
You do not have to remove the wings, there is a huge top battery hatch secured by two nylon screws at the aft end. It will not come off in flight.
Jan 28, 2014, 03:24 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
My plane came today. And all I can say is - WOW!

I have assembled many balsa ARF's - but this is possibly the nicest one I have ever seen. The build quality on it is just superb.

Fully sheeted and radiused fuselage top and bottom. A beautifully detailed and precise fitting canopy. No warped surfaces anywhere. And one of the nicest covering jobs imaginable. I just marveled as I unwrapped one beautiful piece after another.

I am going to put my very best effort in on this one. It will make an absolutely stunning model when completed. If it flies anywhere near as nice as it looks - it will be a winner.
Jan 28, 2014, 04:40 PM
She sure is pretty and it flys just as well, you'll like it ! You can't find many arfs as nice as this for the price.
Enjoy !
Last edited by xmech; Jan 28, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Jan 28, 2014, 06:56 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Xmech you mentioned your model has two screws at the rear holding the canopy/ hatch. Mine has a built-in spring loaded latch. The lever protrudes at the top center just behind the canopy, it's visible in one of the pictures. Quick, easy and secure. Maybe they made a running change to the design.

Further study of the design and I find there's plenty of light ply reinforcement around the forward fuse/firewall and the wing root area.The wings are sheeted about the forward 1/3 of the chord. The wing tips are rounded and radiused solid wood with continuous covering. All of these are really nice, quality, construction techniques. The plane appears to be a solid value for its very reasonable price.

Hopefully it will "build" as nice as it appears to be designed.
Jan 28, 2014, 07:38 PM
Hi,

I would be interested in knowing if the EP conversion is a simple, bolt up affair, or if you have to do any modifications.

Thanks! Mickydee
Jan 28, 2014, 09:58 PM
It is a simple bolt up conversion and I didn't have to add any weight to get the c/g . Well I may be a little nose heavy but I like it like that. The canopy spring latch sounds like a good update.
Last edited by xmech; Jan 28, 2014 at 10:04 PM.
Jan 28, 2014, 10:08 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Actually, it's got a nice electric conversion kit included. Motor standoffs and bolts. These fit the blind nuts already installed in the firewall. The flight battery will fit nicely in the fuel tank space. I've already test fitted a 4000 mah 5s with room to spare.

The electric conversion should be super easy.
Jan 28, 2014, 10:25 PM
dbc
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I was happy to see all the stickers on a separate sheet. I'm liking a cleaner look than with all the "gingerbread" applied. Xmech, did your sticker sheet have the the large cutout area mine has? I wonder what was removed?

Quick Reply