Jan 23, 2014, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
Question

Covering Materials for Balsa Models?

Hey everyone. I'm working on a Guillows Cessna 150 kit ATM, and I have two more Guillows models to do after that (FW-190/Hurricane). I've always just used the tissue paper provided with the kit to cover my models, but since I'm converting this Cessna to R/C, I want to cover it with something a little tougher, and hopefully be able to use it on my two other models. So what do you guys normally use? I've heard of doculam, but I don't know where one would buy it ... Thanks guys!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2014, 10:33 AM
The Junk Man
A quick search on the word "Doculam" will turn up about two billion references and sources.

Tom
Jan 23, 2014, 11:36 AM
Hobby King Hater
This is what we use on our lite models. Easy to use once you learn the secret.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGDV9&P=0

Jan 23, 2014, 08:42 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
THAT, is beautiful!
Jan 23, 2014, 09:07 PM

covering

I've covered models with most coverings out there and am recently trying doculam, well I'm committed to 1000' of doculam, I've covered 1 plane wing and a small dr1 with it, the only drawbacks are a low shrink rate and you have to paint it, which really isn't a drawback
Jan 23, 2014, 11:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
For the little stuff, like Guillows, Dumas, and Herr kits, Coverite Microlite (also called Solite, Aerolite, or Litefilm) is the best stuff (IMHO).

If you must have opaque white or yellow then Solarfilm or Parklite will work (painted doculam is good too) but you have to be careful when shrinking on those light frames.

If you want more of a tissue look then Litespan (Coverite Coverlite) works well. Doesn't shrink much and will warp light structures if not careful.

charlie
Jan 23, 2014, 11:10 PM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555
I've covered models with most coverings out there and am recently trying doculam, well I'm committed to 1000' of doculam, I've covered 1 plane wing and a small dr1 with it, the only drawbacks are a low shrink rate and you have to paint it, which really isn't a drawback
Actually, it has quite a high shrink rate... it just takes way more heat than people expect to do it.

Tom
Jan 24, 2014, 08:43 AM
Hobby King Hater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel
THAT, is beautiful!
Thank you, Little Bogie, Mountain Models.
Jan 24, 2014, 05:22 PM

doculam

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_om
Actually, it has quite a high shrink rate... it just takes way more heat than people expect to do it.

Tom
I'm still playing with it and I've only covered one model but its a dr1 so plenty of wings to practice on lol
Jan 25, 2014, 10:03 AM
Frequent Flyer
I like Doculam too. It shrinks nicely and does not loosen over time. It's especially compatible with electric power where fuel proofing is not paramount, and it is definitely much tougher than tissue. The 1.5 mil (1.5, 3, 5 and 10 mil is available) thickness appears to be the most appropriate for smaller models. It should not warp lighter frames if you are careful.

Scuffing it with 000 steel wool seems to help the paint flow and adhere better. Many different effects are possible depending on the paint used and how it's applied. I've used discount artist acrylics in tubes thinned with water with good results. If it's brushed on, it looks much like doped tissue.

I've had good luck with USI Laminate:
https://www.usi-laminate.com/store/w...601&Level3=663
Jan 25, 2014, 06:08 PM

doculam paint

I've been trying different paints, with different results, the best right now is latex, lowes has sample cans that can be tinted to whatever color you need ans there only 3 dollars for more paint than you need, I'm trying some interor- exterior latex paint that I have at home now, I'll know next week if it works well,I brushed the sample and it turned out good, I'm very impressed, it seems to solve all my issues with taping and so forth
Jan 26, 2014, 08:09 AM
CH Spring
WRT covering materials, I use Japanese tissue. Old school I guess. I simply like the challenge. I also like the satisfaction of a nice job.

Cheers!
Jan 26, 2014, 07:28 PM
IMO, the small Guillows kits should be covered in tissue. I recently finished my 1st "larger" aircraft in silkspan and dope. There really is nothing that looks as good as tissue/dope on a vintage plane. And, it really doesn't matter what you cover them with, because a poorly placed screwdriver will puncture any covering.
Jan 26, 2014, 09:22 PM

covering balsa

thats true and a patch is a patch lol
Jan 26, 2014, 09:41 PM
Hobby King Hater
Everyone has seen this, but I'm going to post it again.

1935 Quickie, enlarged 50%, originally rubber FF, recently converted to
electric RC. Covered with Japanese tissue, sealed with polyurethane.

Quick Reply