Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 23, 2014, 07:48 AM
Discussion

Spektrum DX8/DX7s -> DX9/DX18 conversion tool (back conversion is also supported)

UPDATE: See here for details of conversion utility:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4#post27279760

I purchased a DX9 at the end of last year, but decided not to use it until I'd written a tool that could convert my DX8 models. It's good to have an incentive when working on a software project.

I'm currently on paternity leave, so I've had time to work on it (between jiggling and feeding the baby). It turns out the problem is similar to a conversion project I worked on in the telco industry, so I have a good idea of how to tackle it.

At the moment the tool can convert all 23 of my airplanes (I'll work on helicopters and sailplanes later). The ones I've flown so far have have worked without so much as a trim adjustment! Some of them have complex mixes and these work fine as well.

I'm now looking for a few guinea pigs. If you have complex airplane setups then all the better!

All I need is a ZIP of exported SPM files from your DX8. The tool will ignore helicopter and sailplane SPMs, so there's no need to filter them out. Please send them to the following email address and I will return DX9 compatible SPM files.

Subject: <your rcgroups name>
Email: jcansdale+spm@gmail.com (include the '+')

The models will be numbered and appended to the end of your DX9 model list, so they will be easy to compare against the original models.

Report back here with how the conversion goes!
Last edited by jcansdale; Mar 08, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2014, 07:51 AM

What converts

Model Types: Airplanes, Helicopters and Sailplanes

All settings as far as I know!

=== Common ===
Servo Setup
D/R and Expo
Throttle Cut
Mixing
Timer
Trim
TrimType (FMode/Normal)
Warnings

=== Airplane ===
Wing Type
Switch Select
F-Mode
Differential
Throttle Curve
Flap System

=== Helicopter ===
Swash Type
F-Mode Setup
Throttle Curve
Pitch Curve
Tail Curve
Gyro
Governor
Cyclic > Throttle mixing
Swashplate mixing

=== Common ===
Telemetry
Frame Rate
Trainer
Last edited by jcansdale; May 29, 2014 at 05:52 AM.
Jan 23, 2014, 07:52 AM
I've uploaded a simple interface to the conversion utility here:

http://mutantdesign.co.uk/spm/

Simply put the DX8/DX7s SPM files you wish to convert into a ZIP file, select DX9 or DX18 and hit convert. I'm also requesting a contact email address in case there is an issue with the conversion process and I need to let you know.

Let me know how you get on!
Last edited by jcansdale; Feb 16, 2014 at 04:18 AM.
Jan 23, 2014, 08:17 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Why not post your conversion tool here for others to test?
Jan 23, 2014, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Why not post your conversion tool here for others to test?
It's not ready yet. Once I've converted and sanity checked a load of models I'll package it up nicely.

For the moment I need a good sample of models for integration testing. I'm sure there will be corner cases that won't convert properly, but I need to get a feel for what features the majority of people are using and therefore what to invest time in.
Jan 23, 2014, 01:32 PM
What you're doing is good news!

Strange that Spektrum has not done this, wonder why?

Than you!
Jan 23, 2014, 01:43 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Probably because they are so easy to program, plus having to reprogram existing models from one radio to the other is an excellent way to learn how to use your new radio.

Plus with every update something like this might have to be updated everytime which becomes a lot of work for the programmer.

20+ planes probably would of taken less time transferring manually then it did to program this converter and test.
Jan 23, 2014, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Probably because they are so easy to program, plus having to reprogram existing models from one radio to the other is an excellent way to learn how to use your new radio.

20+ planes probably would of taken less time transferring manually then it did to program this converter and test.
True, but I learnt even more by writing the converter!
Jan 23, 2014, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2
Strange that Spektrum has not done this, wonder why?
Because we HAVE to support the corners and the places where things are very different, and all versions of from/to including deprecations. Doing a complete job is way bigger than some might think. Doing the easy part is, um, easy.

Andy
Jan 24, 2014, 04:14 AM
I'm starting work on heli support.

Does anyone have a collection of models that includes helicopters? Most of mine are simple flybarless setups (NanoCPX/mCPX/130X/300X). I'd really like something a *little* more exotic.

The holy grail would be DX8 SPM files alongside their faithfully converted DX9 equivalent. I'd still be very happy with just the DX8 files.

If you're up for sharing, please ZIP and send them here:
jcansdale+spm@gmail.com

Thanks!
Jan 26, 2014, 07:01 PM
I've now added support for helis and have made some good progress on the UI.
Jan 27, 2014, 12:11 AM
rrg
rrg
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Because we HAVE to support the corners and the places where things are very different, and all versions of from/to including deprecations. Doing a complete job is way bigger than some might think. Doing the easy part is, um, easy.

Andy
Well said......
Jan 27, 2014, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrg
Well said......
Would you be up for sharing your DX8 model files and helping me find the dark corners that Andy speaks of?
Jan 27, 2014, 06:58 AM
BMFA 190658
Can you not download them from the Spektrum comunity site?
If you have a DX8 then you can register it and get all kinds of templates, both Acro and Heli, though I don't think there are any Sailplane templates for the DX8.

Andy, if your monitoring this, I for one would really appreciate a Sailplane template for my DX8
I do use the Acro 6ch glider setup but a purpose made Sailplane version with flight modes already done would be nice!!!

Tony
Jan 27, 2014, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Can you not download them from the Spektrum comunity site?
If you have a DX8 then you can register it and get all kinds of templates, both Acro and Heli, though I don't think there are any Sailplane templates for the DX8.
That is an excellent idea, thanks! I was hoping there would be equivalent files for the DX9 (that I could sanity check the converted files against) but alas not.

Not to worry though, I can go through and compare them by eye. There might be a few DX9 users who would appreciate the converted files.

Quick Reply