Feb 09, 2014, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty12
Er, I had some problems..
I am very sorry for you!
Your video and I 'liked,beautiful location.This is the first video I see of the Dragonfly,seems to take flight easily.
Can you tell me if the structural failure occurred where I circled in the picture
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2014, 07:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapp68
I am very sorry for you!
Your video and I 'liked,beautiful location.This is the first video I see of the Dragonfly,seems to take flight easily.
Can you tell me if the structural failure occurred where I circled in the picture
Yes, definitely at that joint. It's possible that the gluing process isn't really great, the starboard wing wasn't really damaged, I just reglued it but added a CF spar. Of course the port wing will take a bit more repairing.

I would recommend reinforcing the joint but that's not really possible without removing the covering film.

It does fly nicely but it is defiantly limited to a 3s 2200, it can't really handle any extra weight.
Feb 16, 2014, 09:58 AM
UK finally got a break in the weather and I managed to get the first flights of the Dragonfly in. Despite what was said in earlier posts the thrust from the NTM 2836 on a 10x6 was more than ample for the climb out, why would you want it climb faster than mine did today. It needed a lot of aileron trim to fly straight, the original twist in the fuselage may not have been totally cured. It flies OK, need to see what it is like in a thermal. I must admit that I have had better experiences with a new model. To be honest the fact that Hobbyking supplied the model with a twisted fuselage has not helped. Then they have compounded the problem by ignoring my request for assistance with the problem and then finally doing absolutely nothing about solving the problem. OK Hobbyking's prices may be low but no customer support when you need it is not good.

I also flew my trusted Valbella which I have just converted from brushed 600 to a brushless Turnigy Gliderdrive 3850 3.5 960kv. A good day.
Last edited by Andy1248; Feb 16, 2014 at 02:19 PM.
Feb 16, 2014, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1248
It needed a lot of aileron trim to fly straight, the original twist in the fuselage may not have been totally cured. It flies OK, need to see what it is like in a thermal. I must admit that I have had better experiences with a new model. To be honest the fact that Hobbyking supplied the model with a twisted fuselage has not helped. Then they have compounded the problem by ignoring my request for assistance with the problem and then finally doing absolutely nothing about solving the problem. OK Hobbyking's prices may be low but no customer support when you need it is not good.
Actually,the problem tail is a beautiful trouble
I am still assembling my model,correcting and improving the various errors!
Certainly not recommend it as a first modelview also the bad after-sales service....
Have you checked the incidence of motor 2-3DX and pitch?
Last edited by Grapp68; Feb 16, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
Mar 10, 2014, 03:11 AM
Got another good break in the UK weather and got 20C in London. Wind a bit gusty but Dragonfly flew nicely with a couple of clicks of down trim for the wind.
Once again it climbed strongly on the NXT 2836 and 10x6 combination. The model feels very light at launch and in the air so hoping that it will thermal well, it can certainly turn tight.
Nice to be getting something back from it after the troubles it has had.
Mar 14, 2014, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Have you been flying Andy?
My Dragonfly is coming back together nicely, wings and fuse are pretty much together now, just a bit more strengthening then I'll cover the wings and place the motor. I'm looking forward to getting her back in the air, I'm hoping the extra strengthening will help. I also plan to use a smaller 1600 3s battery, I hope to shave a bit of weight off the 1000g I had.
Mar 20, 2014, 10:34 PM
I have ordered a Dragonfly, won't be home for another three weeks though... It will be waiting at home for me!!
Mar 28, 2014, 01:32 PM

The end

After more 'than a month of work to fix the model here is the result....
Mar 28, 2014, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Oh no! I'm so sorry! Will you repair it?
Mar 29, 2014, 12:15 AM
So that's two in flight wing failures? Not good. Not good at all.
Mar 29, 2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Oh no! I'm so sorry! Will you repair it?
I do not think to repair,the fuselage is cracked and the wings would to reinforce
and repair. Too bad because I had set really well!!
You should redo the wings from zero,they are too weak.It happened in a steep turn,which I considered a normal curve
Apr 01, 2014, 10:14 AM
I think stepped on a glider a bit more robust
Mystique 2.9m ARF
Apr 27, 2014, 08:59 PM

wing joint

hi guys awesome thread

planning to get this glider.but just want to know how do you keep the 2 wing together ?how do the joint work?
maybe some photo will help

thnx
Apr 27, 2014, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
No problem with keeping the wings together but you may have a lot of problems keeping the wings straight, they have a tendency to fold on this model. Fly it gently, no aerobatics or hard turns!
Apr 27, 2014, 10:22 PM
Quote:
No problem with keeping the wings together but you may have a lot of problems keeping the wings straight, they have a tendency to fold on this model. Fly it gently, no aerobatics or hard turns!
folding wing isnt a good sign.

so what other glider that in the price range?

how about hobbyking deamon or the hobbyking spectar.
any of u got experiance with them.

Quick Reply