This thread is privately moderated by ecks, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 18, 2014, 11:03 PM
Knowledge prevents flyaways
Thread OP
Build Log

Pure CF 550mm frame, 120g

Updated version:

New prototype of 550mm Full Carbon Fibre quadcopter, excuse the cutting, the little notchs will be corrected on future frames

I've never liked tube clamps but have found some that will not let the tube turn under any pressure, there are 2 rubber O rings in the clamp that:

A: Grab onto the tube
B: Add dampening from the motors

This frame is rock solid, I will be moving a few screw holes in future frames though.

Size: 550mm Motor ro Motor, with a little tube sticking over to protect the motors, You want a smaller quad? Just get the hacksaw out.

Weight 120g including screws and clamps, Ive never used aluminium screws before and these weigh next to nothing. I still need to cut off 15mm from each screw so weigh will be less.

Usuall holes, Nanowii and of course KK2, esc fit in the frame, with PMU if using NAZA. I will also be adding another top plate for a naza GPS, also legs for a gimbal.

Last edited by ecks; Jan 28, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2014, 06:20 PM
Very cool! Are you planning on putting this into production?

I'd be defiantly interested

I'm currently just waiting on the mail for my ecks frame!
Jan 28, 2014, 02:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks binlagin, yes im planning on producing these in a cheap aluminium glass fibre option and the lightweight carbon fibre version. This prototype has now been updated to allow legs and camera boom.
Jan 30, 2014, 02:15 PM
This looks great Cam. any chance of a center plate option to allow hex configuration?
Feb 02, 2014, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by achiii
This looks great Cam. any chance of a center plate option to allow hex configuration?
Ideally this would become my main AP rig... I'd defiantly rock a hexa if that was available.
Feb 02, 2014, 05:47 AM
Thread OP
I did think of a hexa, in fact I have an amazing hexa design. BUT...... I thought to myself, ive got my big 1080 hexa for my sony nex, what would a smaller hexa actually achieve?

I then became hooked on making a perfect AP as light as possible, easy portability and able to film in tight spaces.

A good small AP machine has to have the Gopro3. It also has to have a 3 axis gimbal.

To be light as possible it has to be made of carbon fibre, in the simplist design and obviously the less arms, the less weight.

Ive never tried to film good quality AP before. And in fact had my first job yesterday, filming a couple of shots for a music video (new band) in a forest.

One shot was the machine hovering over a subject and then shooting up in between the trees out of the forest. I could never have done this with a larger machine but the effect of the camera looking down while flying up with treesall around is amazing.

I can see that this lightweight machine is going to become my filming rig, and my large machine will be used for photos.

I have plenty of power with small 2212 1000kv motors and 11 inch props (a surprising combination that doest even get warm) 3s battery that can power the gimbal FPV gear, gopro and machine.
Feb 02, 2014, 11:48 AM
Yes ecks, your reading my mind EXACTLY, inregards to the GoPro. That would be a sweet machine!

I'm using some RC Timer BC-5010 530kv with 4s, 12inch prop, with alum frame to carry my GoPro, it's got 5-7min flight time....

I'd like to step this up to a 'smaller' Hex running 6s with same motors and props.. I bet it could carry a Sony Nex and gimbal with 5AH 6s battery.
Feb 02, 2014, 01:56 PM
I can appreciate that. Im just looking for a 550ish sized hex frame for being a smaller portable AP machine (and I have a smaller hex parts setup waiting to be to put to good use).
Feb 02, 2014, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Ill have to see, I do need an excuse to get this one built. This would be using a new ultra light rigid CF composite ive got my hands on.

Feb 02, 2014, 03:41 PM
Thread OP
Or I could use the plates from that hex design with CF tube arms.
Feb 03, 2014, 12:59 PM
That does look pretty good, but tube arms might be better for breaking it down for transport in a box.

Quick Reply