Jan 18, 2014, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Question

Easy to fly balsa kit

I want a balsa kit that's easy to fly beau we I'm learning how to fly and I want to build something I want it to be a full build not just wing and fuselage putting together and if possible looks pretty good like a high wing Cessna or cub everything washouts be under 250$
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2014, 02:20 PM
Are you primarily interested Building OR learning to fly ?
Yes it's a real question
IF learning to fly is your primary goal
Seriously..suggest reading this
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389
No, not balsa and it doesn't even look like a Real airplane...But ...and it's a big But Learning to fly means trying to fly , immediately crashing, trying again and again and again etc...usually Dozens of times... unless a prodigy or a preteen

Balsa models that look like planes don't suffer crashes overly well, usually requiring serious repairs after most crashes..
Often overnite, to even week long repairs.
It can take weeks or even months to build up a very few hours of Airtime experience.
With a simple stoopid foam contraption, one just picks it up and tosses back into the air... Priceless imo.
This will dramatically speed up the airtime/learning process.

Once flight capable you can go on to build fabulous Scale Balsa models and even enjoy them
Just my 2 cents.
Jan 18, 2014, 03:03 PM
Try the SIG LT-25. It is a very easy build and flies great. Balsa is easy to fix and building your own plane means fixing is just an extension of the skills you learn when you built it. Plus those skills will help you in building future projects.

It is easily converted to electric or keep it glow. I have built and flown them both ways. If going glow use a .25 to .32 engine. DO NOT put a motor smaller than a .25 in it.

You can use less expensive standard size servos and radio gear, no need for mini or micro gear. If going electric I can give some advice. Of course if learning to fly it is best to look at joining a local club for instruction.

Stephen
Jan 18, 2014, 04:16 PM

easybuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtownhobby
I want a balsa kit that's easy to fly beau we I'm learning how to fly and I want to build something I want it to be a full build not just wing and fuselage putting together and if possible looks pretty good like a high wing Cessna or cub everything washouts be under 250$
for something to learn on the balsa usa stick forty is by far the best, rugged and durable easy to build and repair, and they are loads of fun to fly, as an instructor we always had one ready to go in the clubs, in the winter most of us just flew them so we could fly and not wreck our hanger queens. while your having fun with the stick , you can take your time to do the full build, flaps, lights, brakes, retracts, remember a full build can get expensive, and you won't fly it as often because its too nice to risck it on iffy weather, where as the stick you'll fly
Jan 18, 2014, 06:04 PM
Neophyte hacker
Mountain Models or Stevens Aero.

They have a variety of easy to build and easy to fly kits.

charlie
Jan 19, 2014, 10:01 AM
Closed Account
Two come immediately to mind for excellent high wing candidates.
Mountain Models Cub for something scale that flys as good as it looks.
Mountain Models Tyro 150 for a high wing plane that looks kinda sorta like a Cessna. The Tyro 100 is smaller but still an excellent choice.
If you decide on a low wing plane then everybody here that has one will tell you that the only choice is the Mountain Models SwitchBack Sport.

There's such a huge Mountain Models fan/support base here that you'll never have a build question go unanswered.

If you've never flown then get a flight simulator or human help BEFORE attempting to fly on your own! You'll have a much greater chance of success. Also put your city and state in your profile and you may have someone local to you offer information like good places to fly or the best hobby shops in the area.

Joe
Jan 19, 2014, 03:19 PM
Ditto's on Stevens Aero. Check out their FREDe's, and others. An easy build and fun and easy to fly. Also look on utube for them.
http://www.stevensaero.com/
KFC aka Bill
Jan 19, 2014, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepmfromcrashen
Ditto's on Stevens Aero. Check out their FREDe's, and others. An easy build and fun and easy to fly. Also look on utube for them.
http://www.stevensaero.com/
KFC aka Bill

+1 on StevensAero Kits. Built the Fred-e after the Herr Starlite - also a good first time balsa kit since it's so inexpensive. The Fred-e, after four years is still a fun, solid flyer.

-H
Jan 19, 2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks Huey for posting the picture of your FREDe. I have been helping a friend build his, not finished yet. No hurry with this Ohio weather we're having.
I would have a FREDe if I didn't have my '90's Clancy Lazy Bee with an Eflite 10.
Just to much fun.
KFC aka Bill
Jan 19, 2014, 08:14 PM

kit

theres another good looking kit thats easy to build and easy to fly is the Carl Goldberg Anniversary cub, and there's one in the classified, its the plane I started to learn on a good 48 fs and it'll just about fly itself
Jan 19, 2014, 10:00 PM
Heads up...
The Alien Aircraft Cub is a nice one.....http://www.alienaircraft.com/k302.htm I built this for fun flying..............Everything you need minus servos,receiver and covering for $155.99. You can get the servos from hobbypartz.com for $24 or so and your choice of reciever $...?
Jan 20, 2014, 01:23 PM
The Cub package looks good also. Can't beat a Cub with some dihedral. At first you could even fly it rudder & elevator. (no ailerons)
KFC aka Bill
Jan 20, 2014, 01:55 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtownhobby
There is no question in my mind. The SA Buzz 400.

There is even a complete build video series on it; https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post26061171

And nice build thread; https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1490916

Here is what I wrote about it the other day:

Quote:
Tried an experiment today.

I gave 5 clicks to the right on the rudder trim and 2 clicks down on the elevator trim and set my Tx down on the bench. She did lazy circles for 5 minutes and probably would have continued them until the battery ran out. What a sweet flying plane the Buzz 400 is.

After that, we had a father and son visit us today. I flew the Buzz 400 up high and gave the Tx to the son. This was the first time he had ever flown an RC plane and I talked him through the flight without any problems. He did very well and was very happy.

If anyone wants an excellent flying plane, the Buzz 400 is it.
The Buzz 400 is even good for some mild aerobatics.

Frank
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 02, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Jan 20, 2014, 02:07 PM
Neophyte hacker
FWIW, my Mountain Models Dandy Sport would do the same thing if trimmed correctly. It was the plane my son learned to fly with.

I have also done the same thing with the Mountain Models Cessna 180. Trained my brother-in-law to fly with it.

Many slower flying planes can be trimmed to fly that way. The C-180 could be flown as a 1 channel plane. Add some throttle for take off, let it orbit for a bit, drop the throttle a couple of notches and it would descent and land (orbiting in the opposite direction from takeoff).

Most of the Old Timer designs are good for that kind of flying, especially since many were designed as free flight. One reason their LG was way out in front of the CG.

Do all that on a calm day. Add wind and it can become more exciting

charlie
Jan 20, 2014, 06:09 PM
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Just about anything with a parasol wing, like the many "Piper Cub" style planes are dreams to fly, and there are many balsa kits of this type. My first woody was a Miss Stik Sr. (one of three or four such designs). and it remains to this day the easiest plane I have ever flown. whether mine or someone else's. This is also a very easy plane to build, as it is basically a flying Tinkertoy; it's all sticks!

Quick Reply