Jan 17, 2014, 05:19 PM
M Seid
Thread OP
Build Log

Super Freak NXT - A right, proper, thread about a the newest Tom Siler Model Airplane

Tom sent me over a new NXT. I picked it up last nite. I have one day to build it, and Im just getting started. I assure you, it will be launched in round 1, heat 1 tomorrow morning. What a complete kit. Ill post some pictures as I get started... Stay tuned.
Last edited by M Seid; Jan 28, 2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: for seriousness and stuff like that
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2014, 05:29 PM
Just an earth-bound misfit, I
Very Cool...... Can't wait to see pics.... Good luck at the JEM.
Jan 17, 2014, 05:47 PM
Very cool M Seid you guys are going to kick but with that airplane.I bet the Snipes are scaaared lol.Go gerimmm
Jan 17, 2014, 06:50 PM
Yikes! Can't wait to see it Mike!
Good luck on "Round 1"
Kevin
Jan 17, 2014, 07:52 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
So a bit of history on Mike's NXT. It's the number one pull from the molds. The wings were pulled separately (right and left) then joined outside the mold so I could see how the molds closed / aligned etc. The fuse is also the first pull. The canopy… first pull… tail mount…. first pull… tails… first pull. The only thing that was NOT a first pull was the throwing blade.

I've never let the #1 parts out of my shop before but we had a deadline and Mike needed that ship. Cosmetically she's probably not my best work but she's not bad.

Weights were (from memory)

Wing - 109g before joining
Fuse - 39g with slip nose
Tail mount - 1.3g and substantially over built
Tails - 14.2g and (again) substantially over built

I'm betting that Mike puts this one in the air at around 250g, which was the design weight. According to XFLR5, it should be happy being built as light as 230g.

His ship is full Textreme, which will be the standard layup. Fuse is IM carbon boom and kevlar / glass forward for 2.4 friendliness. The fuse is surprisingly roomy for as small as it is. Nose is 215mm from LE, horizontal tail LE is 610mm aft of the wing LE.

Mike, if you need anything during assembly, my cell is on all weekend. Good luck out there.
Jan 18, 2014, 03:36 AM
M Seid
Thread OP
Well Tom,

They certainly are not your first pulls period. Really a fantastic looking wing. I really took my time with the peg, and tip. Its the thinnest Ive ever built. The build is standard, and Tom supplies everything you need to complete the kit. Hes got a new (to me) peg that looks like a seagull when viewed head on. Feels really comfortable, but I havent used anything but a flat peg, and choose to forego the NXT peg in favor of whats on all my other planes.

So, the NXT is done. I started about 2 pm. Just me an my 18 moth old in the house until about 6.

I was thinking about doing the shortest build log ever and just post a picture of the final plane, but then, I thought you guys deserved more than silly posts from me once in a while.
Jan 18, 2014, 03:45 AM
M Seid
Thread OP
Tom,

Thank for the effort it took to get this out. Great talking to you tonight. With the pink on the tail I had to add a little more to the nose. Its under 255 grams with the cg about 67.

The build was really straight forward. If you sat down and ran the build right through, i think its about 5-6 hours start to finish, with the silly trim I added to the tail, and gap seal.

I used ATX 600s in the fuse by mounting them on balsa wedges,and 802s in the wings. Nothing stuck out. There is just enough room for the 802s in the servo bays.
Jan 18, 2014, 03:51 AM
M Seid
Thread OP
I few basic steps are followed for top drive install. I leave room fore and aft for the servo to move so I can get the pushrod over the hingeline properly. I try to get the pushrods the exact length, but sometimes its off just slightly. I use epoxy and micro balloons and while the servos are setting I make sure they are right over the hingeline. The left side is moved a bit off the hinge midline to illustrate. On the final set, I moved the servo back a tad so the left and right side were the same.
Jan 18, 2014, 03:55 AM
M Seid
Thread OP
This is the last shot of the nite. gotta get up in time to test fly it before the JEM.

Fuse has plenty of room. Love the work on the fuse. Its a perfect size. Ill post some pics and flight reports from the contest tomorrow.
Jan 18, 2014, 10:08 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid
This is the last shot of the nite. gotta get up in time to test fly it before the JEM.

Fuse has plenty of room. Love the work on the fuse. Its a perfect size. Ill post some pics and flight reports from the contest tomorrow.
Mike, if your Mom sees this picture you will be in big trouble. Clean up that room as soon as you get home from the contest

Good luck with the new plane! Looking forward to your reports.
Jan 18, 2014, 10:11 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I thought that was the baby's play room
Jan 18, 2014, 10:27 AM
Nice job Mike. Let me know if you want some wing covers for those beauties.

Good luck at the JEM.

Dan
Last edited by danfitz; Jan 18, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Jan 18, 2014, 08:42 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
What's the chord and area? Area approx. 310 sq "?
Jan 18, 2014, 09:19 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Root chord is 162.5mm and area is a bit under 310 in^2. IIRC it was 307sh. Span is actually a full 1.5m

Quick Reply