GyrOne (New) - Page 4 - RC Groups
Mar 19, 2016, 06:15 AM
Hi Jimmy

Thanks for the compliments I am here to help, anything you want to know just ask away Mine is spruce. I actually weighed some aluminum and some wood, the wood was lighter! Go figure. I'd love to see those 20cc's in the air, get a nice sound from those blades.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2016, 07:57 AM
Working on the glass body today
Mar 20, 2016, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadandrews
Hi Jimmy

Thanks for the compliments I am here to help, anything you want to know just ask away Mine is spruce. I actually weighed some aluminum and some wood, the wood was lighter! Go figure. I'd love to see those 20cc's in the air, get a nice sound from those blades.
That's what got me going on all the autogyro thinking. As I've said elsewhere, I've always had an interest in them but when I found the vid on YouTube of the Magni 16 with a twin cylinder DLE 60 and 10' rotor, I was totally hooked. If they were still making them, I'd be saving up. In the mean time, the GyrOne appeared to still be in production. I found one in Quebec, and here we are. I never could get warmed up to the light little trainers that you usually see but I fully understand the advise I've been getting to go that route before trying to fly my G1 so that's what I'll do.

Chad: Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of rpms your gyro is turning in flight? The instructions that came with my G1 says it needs to be turning between 450 and 550 for take-off. The implication in the wording (it's a questionable translation so I'm not entirely sure?) is that the prerotator needs to bring it up that fast. The only problem I have is, I don't have a rotor tach that will go that slow. The one I have for my helicopters only goes down to 800. I'm a bit surprised that it is turning that slow. We've tached our helicopters in autorotations for a number of years now and they generally stabilize out around the 1400 rpm range but I know this is an entirely different setup and airfoil.

Thanks & Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Mar 20, 2016, 10:20 PM
Yep, around 8-900 rpm. I am surprised too, that sounds slow,. Are you sure they are not talking about the prerotator speed? My prerototor is a little fast, but that makes it great for take off in a few feet, its capable of 1100 rpm. So I press the button and give it some fuel and away she goes. Yep the Canadian company that sells them is just one province over.

Have a look at your prerotator motor Kv/rpm. Multiply that by the bat voltage you using to run it. Thats rpm. Count the teeth an the big gear and count the teeth on your little gear, divide those. Thats your gear ratio. Take the rpm divide the gear ratio and see if its around 500. Could be what they are talking about.
Mar 20, 2016, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Yep, around 8-900 rpm. I am surprised too, that sounds slow,. Are you sure they are not talking about the prerotator speed? My prerototor is a little fast, but that makes it great for take off in a few feet, its capable of 1100 rpm. So I press the button and give it some fuel and away she goes. Yep the Canadian company that sells them is just one province over.

Have a look at your prerotator motor Kv/rpm. Multiply that by the bat voltage you using to run it. Thats rpm. Count the teeth an the big gear and count the teeth on your little gear, divide those. Thats your gear ratio. Take the rpm divide the gear ratio and see if its around 500. Could be what they are talking about.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about prerotation rpms, not actual flight rpms. I've calculated the gear ratios. I had a very hard time finding a motor that matched their recommended specs in terms of Kv's and wattage output. The motor I found is a bit higher on the Kv scale than recommended so I'm hoping to not have any problems with that. Something I'm thinking of doing at some point is tying the bird down in the back yard so that it can't tip over and testing the prerotator a little at a time. So far, all I've done is test the system in the house without the rotor on it but that doesn't tell me much. If the prerotation system I bought works as I hope it does, it should be fine. That's a ways down the road at this point though.

Thanks for the reply,
Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Mar 22, 2016, 03:34 AM
I am sure Britinoz (Chris) has done that and posted a video.
Mar 22, 2016, 12:33 PM
Hi Chad,

I stumbled on the conversations over on the Emy's prototype thread. You've got a lot of videos posted there that I hadn't seen before. I was wondering, are you going to put floats on the bird when the lake thaws out?

Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Mar 22, 2016, 12:57 PM
Hi Steve,

I was thinking about it, but I am not that good a pilot really. I wonder how it would perform? You don't need a lot of forward speed so that's a good thing, float drag wise. I also wonder about "bobbing" fore and aft in the water and what affect that would have of the take off roll with respect to the rotor disk angle to the relative wind. And, the other issue is the gyro spinning in the water due to prerotation torque....Just a few things I have thought off...With the prerotation, it can't be no worse then on the ice. In a few of my videos you can see the gyro spins on the ice and I just release the button when its in the right direction and nail the throttle, haahah, it works! Any thoughts?
Mar 22, 2016, 12:58 PM
Oh, BTW, lots of videos on my Youtube channel "Hunt4fish2"
Mar 22, 2016, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Hi Steve,

I was thinking about it, but I am not that good a pilot really. I wonder how it would perform? You don't need a lot of forward speed so that's a good thing, float drag wise. I also wonder about "bobbing" fore and aft in the water and what affect that would have of the take off roll with respect to the rotor disk angle to the relative wind. And, the other issue is the gyro spinning in the water due to prerotation torque....Just a few things I have thought off...With the prerotation, it can't be no worse then on the ice. In a few of my videos you can see the gyro spins on the ice and I just release the button when its in the right direction and nail the throttle, haahah, it works! Any thoughts?
I've seen videos of the full size birds flying off of water. Here's a couple of examples I've seen before:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...01D6&FORM=VIRE

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6A63&FORM=VIRE

I think your concerns about rough water are valid. You'll notice in both of those videos, the big boys are flying off of essentially smooth water, especially the Sportcopter Vortex which is flying off of glass. The Calidus doesn't show the prerotation process from the start but the Sportcopter does, almost anyway. I noticed that they are both using inflatable pontoons that are very broad and flat. That might help mitigate the torque problems associated with prerotation and the Sportcopter video specifically mentions the water rudder. Both are ideas you might consider if you attempt to go that route. I'm sure everyone here would love to see the videos you might come up with in your attempts!

On another note, and I not trying to give you a fat head or anything, but from what I've seen of the videos I've watched, you handle the model about as well as anyone. You've obviously paid your dues and I hope I do half as well!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Mar 22, 2016, 04:28 PM
Thanks Steve!!! For the compliments and videos!!! Would you look at that, very nice. I am familiar with the full lotas floats, having built 4 homebuilt aircraft thats what we used on them. Ahhhh Look closely at the sport copter video, full left rudder during prerotation and a set of water rudders....So cool. yep thats in the future design for sure. Neat how they are the full length of the gyro...I bet my carbon z cub floats would do the trick.
Mar 22, 2016, 04:39 PM
Jimmy,

You here? You get my drawing? I'll post it up here so other can look too
Mar 22, 2016, 05:44 PM
Yes I'm here. Thanks that is a lot of information in one drawing. I can build it from that. Will increase it by 20% and have at it. I sawed some poplar last fall and it is very straight grain 1 1/4 think boards. I'm going to use it. Working on a couple of projects to take to SEFF in a couple weeks. Will start on the Woody as soon as they are done.
Jimmy
Mar 22, 2016, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a project Jimmy , Anything you need just ask
Mar 22, 2016, 05:53 PM
Steve, What are you doing to me. After watching those vidios, I think I need floats. It looks like that would be a lot of fun. Going to need a lot more flying time first though.

Jimmy