Jan 30, 2014, 07:53 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Beer Carrying Drone story...Then the FAA called...
check it out

https://www.yahoo.com/food/drone-bee...966526266.html
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2014, 10:36 PM
Cranky old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcmac View Post
one more important thing is that aileron on a helicopter causes it to fly sideways unlike an airplane where its used to bank.. the nice thing about it is that it helps to stabilize hovering against the wind no matter which way its facing..
Ailerons are most certainly used for banked turns with a heli. You can't bank turns with just the rudder, you need both.
Feb 01, 2014, 12:19 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Ailerons are most certainly used for banked turns with a heli. You can't bank turns with just the rudder, you need both.
I to thought the same thing, as it moves, it tilts or banks while turning ?
Feb 01, 2014, 06:24 AM
Cranky old fart
That observation was meant for general knowledge, it isn't going to effect what you are doing. You aren't going to do much banking with a coax. Two things happen if you try to bank too far:

1. blade strikes
2. lose lift and crash.

The coax design limits bank angles to about 5°, depending on the model.
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 01, 2014 at 06:32 AM.
Feb 01, 2014, 02:24 PM
aileron by itself will not turn the heli, will cause it to drift to the side. but aileron combined with elevator will allow you to do a banked turn. combining aileron elevator and rudder you can perform some pretty extreme moves that can cause blade strikes and sudden loss of altitude.... the x2 is set up with a pretty fair amount of space between the upper and lower rotor, a lot more than most coaxials that would need an extended shaft to help reduce blade strikes..

blade strikes are one of the most dangerous things that can happen, I have destroyed many sets of blades and damaged my heli's from falling out of the sky..

upgrading the rotors with stiff blade grips, stiff damage resistant blades, locking the blades in position and extending upper rotor are things that flyers have been doing to get their v4/cx's to perform better..

I only fly outdoors and after doing these mods to my 4v I went from breaking a set of blades each time I flew to replacing them about once a month, just because I wanted fresh blades.. I still have minor blade strikes but breakage is very rare.. I also use a heavier than normal battery, about 60g, that increases what I call the pendulum effect... basically the physics of doing a sudden directional change and the weight dangling below the rotor wants to keep traveling the same direction swinging the helicopter in to an extreme angle.. once an angle of about 45° is obtained if you apply full power some pretty impressive speed can be obtained..

a lot of these things have already been worked out on the stock x2, its a whole new ball game, only time will tell what else needs to be done to improve its survivability..

Last edited by mihcmac; Feb 01, 2014 at 02:51 PM.
Feb 01, 2014, 07:24 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Makes sense.
Feb 01, 2014, 08:40 PM

X-2

I can tell you from flying my X-2 you can bank it to the right or left combing the throttle. It's very agile for a coaxial and it does well outside. While a brisk wind will effect it I doubt you will loose it. My only crashes were due to pilot error and I can tell you the X-2 can take some punishment without serious damage. Be careful when first flying as it can get real high real fast. It's a much faster bird than the small coaxials . It's like a Blade msr being flown in your living room, very fast. It is much easier to fly than a fixed pitch and is a ton of fun. I'm lucky that I live in Florida and can fly twelve months of the year. Now if I will only get my x-2 back from Global I'll be a happy camper. In the mean time I'm flying my MSR working towards flying my Blade 450x. I'm am rapidly learning that in the world of RC helicopters you better have deep pockets. Oh, well. Our toys are worth it.
Feb 02, 2014, 04:07 PM
my friend roger was flying his new x2 at the park this morning. he got it up really high and almost lost it.. he handed the transmitter to me, it was in high wind mode, I gave it full forward elevator and backed off the throttle a bit till it started going into a good nose dive with its tail high and applied throttle.. man that thing is fast.. I buzzed the field a couple of times and set her down.. then noticed that roger was still kind of pale from his experience.. time for a pre- superbowl cold one I think..

oh.. I think stock configuration of the x2 is more than adequate for most flyers..
Last edited by mihcmac; Feb 02, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
Feb 03, 2014, 12:55 PM

X-2

Well I received a phone call from Russ of Global telling me my X-2 is fixed, flying great and on its way to me. I suspect I'll get it Thursday or Friday and with weather in the 80's here in central Florida I'm ready to fly. It appears that in addition to the bad 5 in 1 board one of the brushless motors was bad. Global stood by their product and replaced and repaired it with out any problem and Russ from their service department called me every few days with an update. No complaint with this kind of service. Now I just wait.
Feb 03, 2014, 08:51 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur2crsh View Post
Well I received a phone call from Russ of Global telling me my X-2 is fixed, flying great and on its way to me. I suspect I'll get it Thursday or Friday and with weather in the 80's here in central Florida I'm ready to fly. It appears that in addition to the bad 5 in 1 board one of the brushless motors was bad. Global stood by their product and replaced and repaired it with out any problem and Russ from their service department called me every few days with an update. No complaint with this kind of service. Now I just wait.
Now that is Service...not many who will do all that.

Update us when you get her and fly her again.

That's Great news.
Feb 07, 2014, 07:06 PM

X-2

Today I received my x-2 back from Global. It is all repaired and they did a nice job of cleaning up all of the loose wires I left after installing the brushless system. As you may recall I installed the brushless upgrade and I just could not get it to work. Turned out it was a bad 5in1 unit and a bad motor. I won't be able to fly until late tomorrow as it is raining here in sunny Florida. I did crank it up and it seems to run very nice. I'll post some photo's tomorrow of their repair work and it flying if the weather clears up. I'm not happy I had to send it back but they do support their product and they called me every few days to give me an update on the repairs and to notify me when it was shipping back. Russ from Global was very nice and kudos to Global for having such good customer service !! Thanks, Russ !!!
Feb 07, 2014, 08:26 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Today I received my x-2 back from Global. It is all repaired and they did a nice job of cleaning up all of the loose wires I left after installing the brushless system. As you may recall I installed the brushless upgrade and I just could not get it to work. Turned out it was a bad 5in1 unit and a bad motor. I won't be able to fly until late tomorrow as it is raining here in sunny Florida. I did crank it up and it seems to run very nice. I'll post some photo's tomorrow of their repair work and it flying if the weather clears up. I'm not happy I had to send it back but they do support their product and they called me every few days to give me an update on the repairs and to notify me when it was shipping back. Russ from Global was very nice and kudos to Global for having such good customer service !! Thanks, Russ !!!
Can't wait to see it.....Nothing like great customer service....now days it is rare to have....only few have it.
Still snowing here..so no flying yet in any manner.
Feb 09, 2014, 03:26 PM

X-2

It was windy today but I couldn't wait to try out my x-2. It flew great and boy does it cut through the wind. Buttttt like we all know it only takes a second to crash and I had a hard landing nose first that broke the little fitting for my flybar. This looks like a weak link as it seems to be easy to break. Anyway I looked into my box for a spare and I had about every part but that. Ordered a new one (two) and they will be here Wednesday but I can't fly until Saturday or Sunday. Let me tell y'all who are grounded due to weather you will love this thing. It is very responsive and is a racer in the sky. Mine handled the wind without any problem. The front dipped into the wind and cut right through it with authority. It was my bad landing that caused the damage, I can't blame the bird. I would suggest ordering a set of blades ( I have not damaged them but just in case) and a flybar or two and a pack of links. Anyone who has been in this hobby knows you will always need spare parts. When I receive the flybar a I will have at least one of almost every spare part they sell. That way I can be right back in the air after a crash. Can't wait until next weekend when I can get back to flying.
Feb 09, 2014, 04:12 PM
I've been on the fence for awhile between buying a new larger coax, or buying a multi-rotor. Coaxes appeal to me because I like the visual appearance of a coax over head with the rotors rotating in opposite directions on the same plane. Always liked seeing that, even if just hovering overhead. May have to give this one some consideration. It's cheaper than most of the multi-rotors anyhow.

Might break down and order one today, they're at $149.95 currently at hobby People, the link in the OP. Nice.
Last edited by cbxer55; Feb 09, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
Feb 09, 2014, 07:05 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
It was windy today but I couldn't wait to try out my x-2. It flew great and boy does it cut through the wind. Buttttt like we all know it only takes a second to crash and I had a hard landing nose first that broke the little fitting for my flybar. This looks like a weak link as it seems to be easy to break. Anyway I looked into my box for a spare and I had about every part but that. Ordered a new one (two) and they will be here Wednesday but I can't fly until Saturday or Sunday. Let me tell y'all who are grounded due to weather you will love this thing. It is very responsive and is a racer in the sky. Mine handled the wind without any problem. The front dipped into the wind and cut right through it with authority. It was my bad landing that caused the damage, I can't blame the bird. I would suggest ordering a set of blades ( I have not damaged them but just in case) and a flybar or two and a pack of links. Anyone who has been in this hobby knows you will always need spare parts. When I receive the flybar a I will have at least one of almost every spare part they sell. That way I can be right back in the air after a crash. Can't wait until next weekend when I can get back to flying.
That is Great you got to fly it . Sorry you had a crash.

I ordered extra blades, never thought about the flybar. I ordered lights to fly late evenings come summer. Can't wait till the weather clears up and warms up to give it a try.
Will go back and buy a flybar and some links and some blade mounts perhaps, just in case.

Of course yours has the upgrades, I am sure that made it somewhat faster, and a little more responsive, than what you flew before with the normal set up.

Let us know how it does next weekend.

Quick Reply