Jan 13, 2014, 08:04 PM
Fly Fast or Die Hard
Poll

Gain setting on DJI Phantom products

Ive been looking for good info about this subject and it is sparse...

This thread seeks not only to find out what gains are working for what prop combos...assuming everyone is using the stock motors on the phantom v1...but also to discover what gain controls actually do...

Ive got a Phantom v1 which came with the stock silver 920kv motors...I flew on the stock white props with the deafalt gains and it flew well....now Ive got some 9.4 x 4.3 carbon fiber props and it flies badly with the current gain settings...So, I have to change them ...

I found some good info on another thread...it gave some gain numbers that it used on different "9 inch" props...but I found it really lame that they didn't give the exact prop size...or the pitch at all...

So it's important to post all the info with your gain numbers....what motors, what props, what aircraft, what battery....

here is the info I found
"Our first batch of 9" carbon fiber props had a very sharp pitch with swept tips at the end to reduce the noise. With these props we concluded that the gain settings should be adjusted to (Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Vertical) set at (190 / 190 / 150 / 150) and the (Attitude) set at (70 / 70). The Phantom tested in GPS mode flew pretty steady with very little wobble.

Another batch of 9" carbon fiber props had a less drastic pitch and did not have the swept tips at the ends of the props. These had a small DSLR Pro's logo printed along the top edge of the props. We achieved the most stable of flights when the gains had been adjusted to (Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Vertical) set at (170 / 170 / 125 / 125) and the (Attitude) set at (90 / 90). Again the Phantom tested well in GPS mode.

Our latest batch of 9" carbon fiber props have our DSLR Pro's logo printed in the center of the props and have a very slight swept tip at the ends. These props tested well with (Pitch / Roll) between 200 and 205, and the (Yaw / Vertical) between 170 and 175. The (Attitude) was set to (90 / 90). All of the flights tested within these parameters were successful.

Each Phantom and each set of props may have slight variances to the suggested gain setting stated above. Different loads and different accessories will alter the Phantoms flight characteristics. While these gain settings can be helpful to find a good place to start, it may be necessary to alter the gains in very small increments until the flight of the craft has stabilized. I certainly hope that this information is helpful and as always..."

So I set mine up with (the layout corresponds to the NAZA assistant software layout...)
170 170 125 125
90 90

What I gather is that for larger props, the altitude gains numbers need to go down...and the control gains need to go up...

at these numbers, mine sank at mid throttle and was very twitchy and out of control (almost)...

So im going to boost the altitude gains and the control gains....

I am flying the 9.4x4.3 carbon fiber props from Maytech on a phantom v1...

Im really interested to know the factory default setting that come with the v2 because they come with larger props to begin with...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2014, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ogre

This thread seeks not only to find out what gains are working for what prop combos...assuming everyone is using the stock motors on the phantom v1...but also to discover what gain controls actually do...
(clipped)
So I set mine up with (the layout corresponds to the NAZA assistant software layout...)
170 170 125 125
90 90

What I gather is that for larger props, the altitude gains numbers need to go down...and the control gains need to go up...

at these numbers, mine sank at mid throttle and was very twitchy and out of control (almost)...

Im really interested to know the factory default setting that come with the v2 because they come with larger props to begin with...
You are right on target. Here's the factory settings on my DJI Phantom 2 with their 9 inch props (also wider than the P1 blades):
Basic / Gain
Pitch: Basic 120% Attitude 220%
Roll: Basic 120% Attitude 220%
Yaw: Basic 120%
Vertical: Basic 200%

On my Phantom 1, the factory settings are:
Pitch: Basic 125% Attitude 125%
Roll: Basic 125% Attitude 125%
Yaw: Basic 100%
Vertical: Basic 100%

Incidentally, on my Phantom 1 when I added a second battery (same weight as P2) with factory settings I was fine with factory 8" prop but going to Maytech 9" with factory gain setting was hard to take-off and fly. Secondly, when I tried the Maytech 9" carbon props on my P2, it also was a challenge to fly. Bottom line, like DSLR-Pros suggest, start with the new presets and adjust to suit your taste (for instance, I also have the Zenmuse H3-D2 and GoPro 3+ Black on my Phantoms).

Happy trails in the skies, Michael
Jan 21, 2014, 09:39 PM
I just got a set of the knockoff 9443 vision props, threw them on without balancing them and my phantom flies terribly. Besides it being unstable, in gps mode it cannot hover it keeps gaining altitude. The only gain that corresponds with my problem is the vertical gain (i think), which direction should the gain go? I'm running stock battery with tarot 2d and GP 3 Black +

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ogre

Ive got a Phantom v1 which came with the stock silver 920kv motors...I flew on the stock white props with the deafalt gains and it flew well....now Ive got some 9.4 x 4.3 carbon fiber props and it flies badly with the current gain settings...So, I have to change them ...

I found some good info on another thread...it gave some gain numbers that it used on different "9 inch" props...but I found it really lame that they didn't give the exact prop size...or the pitch at all...

So it's important to post all the info with your gain numbers....what motors, what props, what aircraft, what battery....

here is the info I found
"Our first batch of 9" carbon fiber props had a very sharp pitch with swept tips at the end to reduce the noise. With these props we concluded that the gain settings should be adjusted to (Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Vertical) set at (190 / 190 / 150 / 150) and the (Attitude) set at (70 / 70). The Phantom tested in GPS mode flew pretty steady with very little wobble.

Another batch of 9" carbon fiber props had a less drastic pitch and did not have the swept tips at the ends of the props. These had a small DSLR Pro's logo printed along the top edge of the props. We achieved the most stable of flights when the gains had been adjusted to (Pitch / Roll / Yaw / Vertical) set at (170 / 170 / 125 / 125) and the (Attitude) set at (90 / 90). Again the Phantom tested well in GPS mode.

Our latest batch of 9" carbon fiber props have our DSLR Pro's logo printed in the center of the props and have a very slight swept tip at the ends. These props tested well with (Pitch / Roll) between 200 and 205, and the (Yaw / Vertical) between 170 and 175. The (Attitude) was set to (90 / 90). All of the flights tested within these parameters were successful.

Each Phantom and each set of props may have slight variances to the suggested gain setting stated above. Different loads and different accessories will alter the Phantoms flight characteristics. While these gain settings can be helpful to find a good place to start, it may be necessary to alter the gains in very small increments until the flight of the craft has stabilized. I certainly hope that this information is helpful and as always..."

170 170 125 125
90 90

Is that a typo and suppose to read "attitude"?
Jan 22, 2014, 05:41 AM
I want to know more about this topic, but I am clueless on what's "gain".
Jan 22, 2014, 02:49 PM

Gain setting on DJI Phantom products

"Gain" is shorthand for a type of adjustment you can make to the flight controller. Essentially, a higher gain tells the FC to correct perceived errors in speed and position at a faster and more aggressive rate. Lower gains tell it to be slower and lighter on the trigger when making corrections.

If your gains are "too high" the FC gets ahead of itself and over-corrects small errors, resulting in unstable wobbling. If your gains are "too low" it doesn't correct enough, and the craft will hover and move around inconsistently. Well-tuned gains keep the copter in line and well-positioned without over or under-correcting.
Jan 22, 2014, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano
"Gain" is shorthand for a type of adjustment you can make to the flight controller. Essentially, a higher gain tells the FC to correct perceived errors in speed and position at a faster and more aggressive rate. Lower gains tell it to be slower and lighter on the trigger when making corrections.

If your gains are "too high" the FC gets ahead of itself and over-corrects small errors, resulting in unstable wobbling. If your gains are "too low" it doesn't correct enough, and the craft will hover and move around inconsistently. Well-tuned gains keep the copter in line and well-positioned without over or under-correcting.
agh thanks. I had it backwards. Trying to correct my phantom from gaining altitude while in gps mode with the 9443 props
Apr 18, 2014, 01:50 PM

Phantom v1.1.1 with Vision Props

I wanted to add to this discussion with my own finding in the hopes that it will help others in the future.

I just installed DJI Vision props to my Phantom v1.1.1 and tested it with 3 different gain settings.

First off let me describe my set up:

I am flying in 100% ATTI mode - I broke my GPS about a week ago.. so this may influence the performance...not sure, but ALL my tests were done in ATTI mode.

AUW is: 1050grams
I am flying with the stock 2200mah battery
DJI AntiJello attachement thingy...
Boscam 5.8Ghz FPV System (TS352 TX + RX305 RX / 500mw)
An an additional 2c 850mah battery similar to this to run the FPV
GoPro 3 Black
DJI Vision Props

After reading a number of forums including this one, I was left a bit confused. This thread discusses the importance of adjusting you gains while this thread (at least the first 6 pages - I didn't read the entire 19 pages) seemed to indicate - just slap on the new props and fly.
************************************************** ******************************************
Here is what I tested and what I found - granted this is going to be subjective and your mileage my vary:

First test: No changes to the gains - put on the Vision props and went flying.
As a reminder the factory gains are:
Pitch: Basic 125% Attitude 125%
Roll: Basic 125% Attitude 125%
Yaw: Basic 100%
Vertical: Basic 100%

Result - The Phantom was completely flyable. It hovered, but seemed to "sink" a bit over time. About every 15/20 seconds it seemed that I had to give it some juice. It was VERY responsive - much more so than with the 8" stock props. I was filming with my GoPro and most ANY adjustment was very noticeable in the footage. At no time did it feel "out of control" - however it was noticeably responsive, small stick movements equaled large movements of the Phantom.
************************************************** ********************************************
2nd Test (included screen shot):
Pitch: Basic 135% Attitude 135%
Roll: Basic 135% Attitude 135%
Yaw: Basic 110%
Vertical: Basic 110%

Result: The "sinking" was no longer an issue - it hovered at altitude nicely. The controls were much more "tame" - meaning that I could make small adjustment with the sticks and the Phantom responded less aggressively. This setting still allowed me to make more aggressive movements meaning that if I wanted to get from point A to B quickly the Phantom moved out... however, when I was making smaller movements to hover or video something of interest these setting allowed the Phantom to move in smaller increments.
************************************************** *************************************
3rd Test (see screen shot):
Pitch: Basic 170% Attitude 135%
Roll: Basic 170% Attitude 135%
Yaw: Basic 125%
Vertical: Basic 125%

Result: This was a bigger "jump" percentage wise in the settings than from Test 1 --->Test 2... however I didn't notice a HUGE difference between Test 2 and this Test (Test 3). However it seemed to "drift" (horizontally not vertically) a bit more in hover. This could have been a number of factors including any breeze that was present - however, the flying conditions did not change considerably between tests.
************************************************** ***************************************
Conclusion:
I preferred the gain settings of Test 2 overall.
2nd Test (included screen shot):
Pitch: Basic 135% Attitude 135%
Roll: Basic 135% Attitude 135%
Yaw: Basic 110%
Vertical: Basic 110%
Again in my opinion (your set up and flying style is most likely different), the gains in Test 2 allowed me more control and smother adjustment for filming.

Another noteworthy point is: My flying times GREATLY increased. From about 7minutes MAX to just over 11 minutes. However, this cannot be entirely contributed to the new props. Since my last flights with the stock props I have removed my DJI prop guards (78 grams), removed the GPS unit and Compass Cable (17 grams) and made some modifications to the stock landing gear cut off the lower 2/3's and added light weight plastic legs which extend the height and cut out about 27 grams (I have pics of that if anyone is interested). In all I shaved off 127grams.... but 11 minutes+ of actual flight time is fantastic.

I am far from an expert on gain settings - maybe someone can add to my findings. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Last edited by Ground Pounder; Apr 18, 2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add pics
Apr 18, 2014, 02:13 PM
I'm replying to my own post... but I just had a thought regarding my "results".

I don't know if this is a factor or not - but regarding the handling performance of the Phantom from Test 1---->2---->3... There is a very noticeable difference in how the Phantom responds when flying with the 8" stock props vs. the 9" Vision props that is for certain. However, in my "experiment" my first exposure to the new props was in Test 1 (obviously), I flew for an entire battery - about 11min 20 sec.

In Test 2 - the controls seemed to react better (softer) - however, this might have been due to me "getting use" to the new flight characteristics...

Anyway, this is less than a "scientific test" and just wanted to verbalize that thought as it may have contributed to my "findings".
Apr 18, 2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your efforts, gonna try out a few settings myself. Did you ever get your gps fixed?
Apr 18, 2014, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzer2u
Thanks for your efforts, gonna try out a few settings myself. Did you ever get your gps fixed?
LOL - nope. Flying ATTI mode for the time being.

I did however find a place to buy the GPS replacement for $154 + Shipping...

I do miss the GPS though. It's nice to be able to switch it on and the Phantom just stops. It's a nice way to line up a shot for video, then back to ATTI mode once you have your shot established. In 100% ATTI mode, it makes establishing a good shot a bit more of a...challenge.

I should just order one now... since it will take a week to get here most likely.... and while I'm at it - a brush less gimble.... what another few hundred $$$ on my credit card?? ... stupid hobby....
May 08, 2014, 07:55 AM
Thanks for sharing the info. As someone who is newer to the hobby, I was unaware of the potential problems with switching to stiffer "carbon fiber" style props. Those gain adjustments posted by dslr pros has made control much better so far in a quick test for my phantom using 9" carbon fiber props.
Jun 09, 2014, 09:28 AM
need help

year and a half old phantom
new balanced prop P2 like CF props, calibrated IMU 5 times, calibrate compos.
1220g
my gains value right now are:

125% 125% 100% 125%
85% 85%

I am having shaking problem. GPS & ATTI mode.
never had one, and no changes made .
so yesterday I changed my props after balance the new one ( P2 like CF props )
andits not helping
this is the result

bad gains ??? (1 min 0 sec)

the shaking comes from phantom and you can see it when looking at it.
the gimbal can't keep up and thats the result

can someone please please !! give me a good gains value
Jun 09, 2014, 11:20 AM
Youtube skycop216
Quote:
Originally Posted by koop
need help

year and a half old phantom
new balanced prop P2 like CF props, calibrated IMU 5 times, calibrate compos.
1220g
my gains value right now are:

125% 125% 100% 125%
85% 85%

I am having shaking problem. GPS & ATTI mode.
never had one, and no changes made .
so yesterday I changed my props after balance the new one ( P2 like CF props )
andits not helping
this is the result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IO...ature=youtu.be

the shaking comes from phantom and you can see it when looking at it.
the gimbal can't keep up and thats the result

can someone please please !! give me a good gains value
I know it is a pain to do this but if nothing else has changed and this started suddenly, I would open it up and check to see if the flight controller board (Naza unit) is still secured to the board. I would think a loose Naza could cause this, may not be the problem but it is worth a shot.

David.
Jun 09, 2014, 11:29 AM
Keep in mind that different environmental conditions will need different gain settings for the same performance. We are in Colorado (5200 - 6200' above sea level) and with the air being much less dense than at sea level, higher gains are needed as the controller needs to be more aggressive to compensate. Just wanted to throw that out there to help explain why one person's settings may not be ideal for someone else.
Latest blog entry: DJI Mavic Flight Mode Tests
Jun 09, 2014, 11:50 AM
simi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGarrison
Keep in mind that different environmental conditions will need different gain settings for the same performance. We are in Colorado (5200 - 6200' above sea level) and with the air being much less dense than at sea level, higher gains are needed as the controller needs to be more aggressive to compensate. Just wanted to throw that out there to help explain why one person's settings may not be ideal for someone else.
Totally agree