Jan 11, 2014, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

JXD JD 388: a second review

Another JXD JD 388 review after the James one. Two is better than one

The context

The JXD JD 385 was the small surprize of the last year in the nanoquad world... When announced this quad was assumed to be a "yet another X4 clone"... but it was in practice a very pleasant quad, fast, robust, smooth and very windy resistant ... probably the best nanoquad in 2013. When Banggood announced the new 388 model, a lot of pressure was on the shoulder of JXD to deliver an even more efficient nanoquad. Of course, they could continue to clone the X4C by just incorporing leds, but in practice they proposed a completly new design. Thanks to them.

Box description

In the nice design box you will find :

- 1 x JXD JD 388 (either yellow or gray color)
- 1 x 300mah 1S LiPo with micro-losi connector
- 1 x USB charger
- 1 x 2.4Ghz TX with 2 shoulder buttons but without LCD screen
- 1 x set of spare propoller
- 1 x Instruction manual

The JXD JD 388 is bigger than the 385: 9.8cmx9.8cmx3cm vs 7.8cmx7.8cmx1.5cm with a weight of 31.3g vs. 24.4g, so a difference of 6.9g. The motors are the same as for the 385, so no extra power to lift this 7 added grams. By the way, the new design is very orignal with very rounding and soft shapes for the canopy. Now the lipo is inserted into a fully closed battery bay which allow to insert a 1S Lipo up to 380mah using a microlosi connector. Unfortunatly, a 500mah Lipo will be too long and would make the 388 very too heavy and not very flyable. The pod design is also original with some airflow guide ending with a rubber feet for soft landing. Arms designed are nice but I got the feeling it can be slightly more fragile that for 385. The extra 7g is not helping to make arm more resistant for sure. Propollers are 0.1g lighter compared to the 385 with a design slight different (square ending). Another novelty is the presence of an interruptor on the rear side. Finally, at least 5 leds are incuded, 1 for each arm and the last one to light the main body. The light effect is very nice in dark conditions but maybe the difference between front (white leds) and rear (blue lefs) will be hard to distinguish versus distance. To disassamble the nanoquad, you have first to remove 11 screws (2 per feet + 3 for the body) and then 2 extra screws to access to the RX board. Unfortunatly, as well for the motors and leds, no micro connectors are used, meaning that you will have to unsolder/solder yourself for maintenance (8 for motors and 8 more for leds). Notice, it's even harder to access the RX board compared to the 385 so the maintenance is harder. The RX board, referenced "LGJ388RX4, rev04, 2013.09.07" is using the classic "Mini54zan" 6 axis controller flight board and the RF chip is a BK2423.
As for the 385, the good news is this quad is also using the V2x2 protocol of WLtoys, it means this latter can controled by a WLtoys TX or even better with a devo TX modded (Including a nRF24L01+ RF chip and diviationx > 4.0.0).
The board in now using a real monopole antenna (compared to a patch antenna for the 385) with measured lenght of 34mn. This latter was bended in two so I put straight during dissambling. You can expect an even better range control with the 388 compared to the 385.

The TX, the same as for the 385, in first glance seems to be "cheapy".... The plastic is not very good and no LCD display... but in practice, gambales are very precise and guaranty smooth fliying. This TX is using 6AA battery (remove the unnecessary screw locking the battery bay) and to bind the quad you need to push throttle up and down (beeping when armed and led stayed solid). Two shoulder buttons: the left one is selecting the flying mode: from beginner (1 beep), medium (2 beeps) and sport mode (3 beeps). In beginner mode, all rates are very limiting and adapted to learn how to hover, etc.. In sport mode, it's a much more nervous quad, but slighty less than the 385.... but still very very good...

Flight experience

When switching on the quad, the lights are flashing and I appreciated very much the central light illuminating the canopy.... In beginner mode, hovering with the stock TX is very easy and precise..
The quad is perfectly stable, at least as for the V252 (it means that they worked on the mini54 configuration) and remember than the gyro calibration trick of V2x2 (sport mode + both stick in lower left position) is working if your quad is slightly shifting. I retrieved the same nice and smooth than the 385 with the Leds light added... and when controled by a DEVO tx... it's becoming ultra precise.... this quad is rocking ...
Outdoors I also find the same behaviour of the 385 but of course with more inertia due to these 7 extra grams.

Conclusions

JXD offer to us a nice 6-axis quad offering a nice "generous" design with rounding shapes. This 388 is like a 385 after "Xmas" period, more fat but with some Xmas lights. I appreciated to retrieve the same flying caracteritics of the 385 with just few less nervosity....

If you don't own any nanoquad, this 388 is a very good candidate. You can find it at 37 USD at BG http://www.banggood.com/JXD-388-2_4G...-p-912240.html)
If you alreay own a 385, is this 388 worthy ? I would say yes for its design and night flying and take in BNF for 27 USD at BG(http://www.banggood.com/JXD-388-2_4G...-p-912240.html). If you were looking for an even more sportive nanoquad than the 385, the 388 is not the answer.

PROS

+ Nice rounding design with nice leds light
+ Very stable and smooth flight well adapted for beginner, thank to 6 axis controller board
+ Interuptor and rubber feet
+ V2x2 protocol compatible (WLtoys TX or DEVO TX can bind it)
+ Control range (up to 100m without problem)
+ No body, arms vibrations and a little bit more silent quad
Edit: 12/01/14
+ Flashing leds when voltage below the limit
Edit 25/01/14
+ Lights can be switched on/off with modded devo TX and V2x2 model file

CONS

- 7g heavier than the 385 while using the same motors so it's a less nervous quad
- More complicated maintenance
- Arm seems more fragile
- can't insert 500mah Lipo and more. Only up to 380mah.
- Antenna was binded in 2 and trimmed to 37mn

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

http://www.banggood.com/JXD-388-2_4G...105842201212FR

JXD JD 388 with lights on (1 min 9 sec)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Feb 13, 2014 at 03:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2014, 06:08 PM
Thread OP
Reserved for videos

JXD JD 388 Unboxing and quick test (7 min 47 sec)

JXD JD 388 with lights on (1 min 9 sec)

JXD JD 388 first outdoors flight main part (2 min 50 sec)

JXD JD 388 outdoors flight in rainy day (1 min 18 sec)

JXD JD 388 sunny session (3 min 42 sec)

JXD 388 switching lights on/off with devo7E (0 min 51 sec)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jan 25, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Jan 12, 2014, 07:02 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods

i) Battery cover corner cutting: Help to insert more bigger LiPo (up to 380mah) more easily

ii) Trim antenna to 31mn (default lenght for mine was 37mn). Maybe make a small hole in the canopy to put antenna vertically ...
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jan 14, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Jan 12, 2014, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Anyone received a 388 yet ?
Jan 13, 2014, 09:22 AM
Still wating mine....
Jan 13, 2014, 05:06 PM
Wicked, tricksy, false!
Mine is still tied to the post pigeon. Doesn'tmatter, as I won't need it before June, 10th.

-mike-
Jan 14, 2014, 11:34 AM
One more time, excellent review Seb!

Sure, I wanna buy it.

T'aurais pu faire la présentation video en françois, NdD.
Jan 14, 2014, 12:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodosius
One more time, excellent review Seb!

Sure, I wanna buy it.

T'aurais pu faire la présentation video en françois, NdD.

Thanks

P.S je sais je sais, au moins je montre que des français peuvent se débrouiller dans la langue de shakespear
Jan 14, 2014, 01:57 PM
Got mine from bg today. Although rather overweight it does fly well. This will be my 6 year old boys' trainer as he wants to learn to do like pops.
Jan 14, 2014, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1
Got mine from bg today. Although rather overweight it does fly well. This will be my 6 year old boys' trainer as he wants to learn to do like pops.

Yes but in sport mode it's still very fast even those extra 7g. It's a very good news
Jan 14, 2014, 04:34 PM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
Mine turned up a couple of days ago. Have it sitting on my desk (after finally opening it!), with a 380mAH battery stuffed inside (will have to do the battery cable mod i think).

Might go and test it out soon!
Jan 14, 2014, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterrorist
Mine turned up a couple of days ago. Have it sitting on my desk (after finally opening it!), with a 380mAH battery stuffed inside (will have to do the battery cable mod i think).

Might go and test it out soon!

Just cut the corner of the battery cover ...
Jan 15, 2014, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
In order to improve range control, I put vertically the antenna trimmed to 31mn
Jan 17, 2014, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
Ok I tested outdoors with the vertical antenna ... There is an improvement got 30-40m of control range now. I don't know if other users got the same range of it's mine got some problem. I am flying with the devo 7E
Jan 17, 2014, 09:24 AM
First flight
First mods :
tape the arm (quality plastic is poor and arms are too flexible)
cut coins with scissors

Dipole antenna on the JXD 385 tx what is the same.

Original battery up
Hubsan battery 380 mah down

Orginal battery

380 mah battery

And now seb i have to open the quad for the antenna !
And i think made a hole in arm for pass the led..
Last edited by Chrisprolls; Jan 17, 2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply