Discussion

Pocket Drone - New GPS drone

Just announced on KickStarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...l-flying-robot
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2014, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetis
Saw that. IMO it is overpriced, has iffy claims for flight times/specs, and they upped the price to get the packages. Where most people on these starter sites offer a second round at the same price but add perks when different goals are met.
Jan 10, 2014, 01:39 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Time will show how good/bad will be. BTW I did not subscribe to Kickstarter. All new products have pediatric illnesses so, I will wait and see. I have to many other toys to play with in the meantime.
Jan 10, 2014, 02:29 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Looks nice-ish , not the best looking thing out there , i wouldnt invest as for that money i could build a little better.
Jan 10, 2014, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Time will show how good/bad will be. BTW I did not subscribe to Kickstarter. All new products have pediatric illnesses so, I will wait and see. I have to many other toys to play with in the meantime.
I LOL'd at the bolded part. I agree with the "I have to many other toys to play with" part too.
Jan 11, 2014, 08:00 AM
These are neat "Tech Demos" just not sure I see buying one based on what they do.
Jan 14, 2014, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief
Looks nice-ish , not the best looking thing out there , i wouldnt invest as for that money i could build a little better.
That's just it: this product is targeted at RTF/ARF segment not scratch builders. The price point makes more sense in one context vs the other.
Jan 14, 2014, 10:32 PM
I can imagine if a heap of people buy these things, people might start writing software for them to do boring little tasks like, getting the mail, taking garbage out, picking up the kids. Just kidding.
Jan 14, 2014, 11:12 PM
Yea interesting concept looks cool but I would have to see it fly in the air and have some one really air it out to see what its made of.
Jan 14, 2014, 11:45 PM
Tough sell without videos showing how it performs imo. I don't see it outperforming
Simplecopter.com T copter demo flight (6 min 33 sec)
^_^
Last edited by wintermoot; Jan 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM.
Jan 15, 2014, 12:57 AM
Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; Sep 04, 2014 at 04:03 PM.
Jan 15, 2014, 01:11 AM
BB, I have a 808 #16 and the RCL 5.8ghz vtx/vrx that I'd end up using with whichever mini brushless craft I buy into. So like a 55 gram payload.

So yes, interference issues need to be clarified for this tri rotor since they will be using both 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, and wifi out of the box.

They also need to post an acro vid before I'd be willing to throw down!
Last edited by wintermoot; Jan 15, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
Jan 15, 2014, 12:49 PM
Last edited by Buckaroo Banzai; Sep 04, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Jan 15, 2014, 02:28 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
All the pictures I see of it have really crappy contrast. Everything is black on black.

Also, GIZMODO has an article about it and has me immediately suspicious with the erroneous statement,

"One less motor means the craft can squeeze about 20 minutes of flight time from its rechargeable batteries, even with a GoPro attached, and it's also a lot quieter than a four-engined quadcopter. So it's wins all around."

That tells me either GIZMODO is talking complete garbage themselves or being fed it by the guys building it.
Jan 15, 2014, 05:44 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Im waiting to see actual footage of its (claimed) capabilities,nothing Ive found on this shows more than a small form factor multirotor. No doubt there is a lot of marketing going on. Many new products get picked apart before anyone actually flys them but eventually once they hit the masses is when we get real world experience and feedback from others. Most of the tech oriented websites are just re posting the marketing from the kickstarter page and a techsite presentation and Q&A etc. Im skeptical of the marketing and actual capability. If an actual demonstration video is posted please post it here so others can decide for themselves.
The Pocket Drone || KickStarter. (2 min 31 sec)

The Pocket Drone | CES 2014 Hardware Battlefield (15 min 37 sec)
Jan 15, 2014, 07:50 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about this "drone" <---

And the only thing that might get it past 15 min. of flight time is an >2600 mAh battery. I would imagine it's a 3S. However, I'm still very suspicious of 20 min. with a GoPro and its protective enclosure on board.

Plus it appears there is no included Tx, so comparing it to the DJI Phantom and stating it's under $500 is somewhat misleading.
Jan 15, 2014, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
There is absolutely nothing revolutionary about this "drone" <---

And the only thing that might get it past 15 min. of flight time is an >2600 mAh battery. I would imagine it's a 3S. However, I'm still very suspicious of 20 min. with a GoPro and its protective enclosure on board.

Plus it appears there is no included Tx, so comparing it to the DJI Phantom and stating it's under $500 is somewhat misleading.
their 500 kickstarter preorder ships with dsm2 tx/rx pair.
Jan 15, 2014, 08:53 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Man, not fast enough to respond
Jan 15, 2014, 09:40 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Ahh, you're right, the $140 DX6 most likely. That's good, that just makes it pricy instead of ludicrously pricy.
Jan 15, 2014, 11:26 PM
No reply on my question to them about flight characteristics and acro features.

What is this forum community they tout in their videos? I can't seem to find it.

I'll try the phone number posted on their website tomorrow and post back if I get any details.

I'm going to ask about: flight modes, acro performance, interference issues, and spares/battery costs.

What else?
Jan 16, 2014, 12:17 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Its not designed to be a acro machine,Acro performance is really just board settings and power set up but the folding props and telescoping tail wouldn't be well suited for acro flying. If you manage to get a person on the phone(ive tried) ask about what multirotor was used to shoot the ''Pitch'' video on kickstarter(It was not the pocket drone shown on kickstarter). I'd really like to see actual footage of everything touted in the specs.. Its fairly common these days for most company's to demonstrate what there selling via youtube etc. Also in the video its said at ces that there are 7 of these pocket drones out there testing in the community,any video of them demonstrating the follow me function and all the other things listed.
Jan 16, 2014, 11:27 AM
From what i can see, i think the design has potential. The claims may be a bit of a stretch but we'll see how it does in time... The funny thing to me though is they must think we have some really large pockets to consider that truly pocket size...maybe if you wear these... Lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down their design, i think it's very cool just not quite what I would consider pocket size. A Gopro by itself would be enough for one pocket by itself, imho. Of course I'm a little biased since i am a competitor so it's not really fair for me to say.

Jan 16, 2014, 12:20 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Cargo pants pockets are fairly large as well. Id rather not be critical but so many of the claims are a stretch to say the least and none of the performance claims have been demonstrated at all. More power to them if they can actually produce a working rtf package with whats claimed but the weight.. 1lb,flight duration 15-20 minutes,stability as a camera platform without a gimbal and the footage shown dont add up looking at that machine. A lot of things are subjective to an individual but some things are not.
Jan 16, 2014, 12:26 PM
That's very true, I didn't think about cargo pockets... maybe manageable then, idk we'll see.
Jan 16, 2014, 12:33 PM
Flippin Multirotors
If its truly controllable via a smaller device than a transmitter etc with reasonable control and can shoot decent video while flying then its possible to carry it without more gear and get a flight in,I dont know of any pants that could comfortably carry a full size transmitter in a pocket though or even fit a transmitter in a pocket.

EDIT: Small portable electronic device for control that could fit in a pocket other than a standard transmitter
Last edited by Get Real; Jan 16, 2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Being more accurate
Jan 16, 2014, 01:08 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As I said, the photos have terrible contrast so it's tough to see how it's constructed. I agree with Get Real in that without a gimbal or a really good isolation mount, the aerial footage is going to look amateurish at best.
Jan 16, 2014, 02:05 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Pull up your pants Ramz
Jan 16, 2014, 04:34 PM
I invited them to come here to post and provide a basic product sheet with flight performance video. No reply to my messages or voicemails though!

I'm still pretty miffed that they are hoping joe consumer will drop 500 without a detailed product sheet let alone hobbyists.

It's not like they'll accept returns from the kickstarter campaign if it does not meet expectations.
Jan 16, 2014, 05:13 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Hopefully not, but as you say, they may be marketing totally to RTF folks and don't want to scare them off with too many technical details.

It appears they're using standard Turnigy motors for one.
Jan 16, 2014, 05:42 PM
I love the way that their website is www.dugn.org so close to an autocorrected www.DUNG.org (which some might suggest is a more accurate description, obviously for legal purposes not me!)
Jan 16, 2014, 05:52 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Guys, your verdict is out - guilty, not worth it etc. Let's see it in the market first and then draw the conclusions. This product is still in the stage of testing and funding.
Jan 16, 2014, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Guys, your verdict is out - guilty, not worth it etc. Let's see it in the market first and then draw the conclusions. This product is still in the stage of testing and funding.
They are kind of abusing kickstarter as they are selling preorders; the development is funded. "Pledging" for this product is not for a dev kit, it's preordering a production model.
Jan 17, 2014, 12:59 PM
Yet we keep talking about it, bumping it like there has been updates
Jan 17, 2014, 01:17 PM
Flippin Multirotors
The KS comment page was updated by airdroids yesterday.

''We are finalizing some details, but the latest battery is a lithium polymer 2P3C around 2600mah capacity, with a 25c rating''.

The pack shown in the original video and pics looks to be a roughly 1300mah-2000mah size lipo. It would be very difficult to fly for 15-20 minutes with a go pro and the pack shown originally.
Last edited by Get Real; Jan 17, 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Jan 17, 2014, 02:18 PM
dry your eyes and go fly
i think when they say 20 minutes flight time they mean thats their goal as this is not a finished product might be 10 minutes but thats still ok for the size.
Jan 17, 2014, 02:31 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermoot
They are kind of abusing kickstarter as they are selling preorders; the development is funded. "Pledging" for this product is not for a dev kit, it's preordering a production model.
The market will be the jury. I will no longer argue with you. Have a good one.
Jan 17, 2014, 04:47 PM
Crashomatic
whats cool about it is the size of the frame/foldability/portability is excellent.

Now at this size i would fear it is unstable especially in the wind... as for the claimed flights time, sounds too good to be true. I'd like to know what motors they use ;-)
Jan 17, 2014, 06:44 PM
bacon and eggs
junk
Jan 17, 2014, 07:04 PM
dry your eyes and go fly
Lets see your better idea
Jan 17, 2014, 08:23 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by remvideo
junk
An onlooker on the dancing competition.
Jan 17, 2014, 08:25 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp
whats cool about it is the size of the frame/foldability/portability is excellent.

Now at this size i would fear it is unstable especially in the wind... as for the claimed flights time, sounds too good to be true. I'd like to know what motors they use ;-)
In the kickstarter video @ time 1:12, the motors are clearly 1100kv, and appear to be Turnigy in the 2228 size. The props look to be 8" at most , (more likely 6 or 7") and since they are hinged, they'll drop it a bit in efficiency during rpm changes and the inertial drag of the metal hinge.

They've made the mistake of boldly claiming some concrete specs, so now they are more or less 'stuck' to fulfill. What they don't 'claim', but strongly suggest in other videos, is how smooth the video will look. This is where they will be eaten alive IF it doesn't look close to the video footage in the marketing video. But I'm sure they will be able to dodge the complaints by saying yours in not properly "tuned". Or how well it will actually fly, other than the subjective statement that it's "easy to fly".

They claim it weighs around 454g, another out, by saying "around", but locks themselves in at saying the payload can be 227g.

To me it appears 3D printed, but I could easily be wrong.

Let me say it DOES appear to be "nifty" when collapsed.

Once again, I see nothing unique about this tri. The only aspect that's even slightly differant than the myraid tricopters I've seen here at rcgroups and other forums, is it has hinged props for a larger mini.
Jan 17, 2014, 10:30 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Quote:
In the kickstarter video @ time 1:12, the motors are clearly 1100kv, and appear to be Turnigy in the 2228 size. The props look to be 8" at most , (more likely 6 or 7") and since they are hinged, they'll drop it a bit in efficiency during rpm changes and the inertial drag of the metal hinge.

They've made the mistake of boldly claiming some concrete specs, so now they are more or less 'stuck' to fulfill. What they don't 'claim', but strongly suggest in other videos, is how smooth the video will look. This is where they will be eaten alive IF it doesn't look close to the video footage in the marketing video. But I'm sure they will be able to dodge the complaints by saying yours in not properly "tuned". Or how well it will actually fly, other than the subjective statement that it's "easy to fly".

They claim it weighs around 454g, another out, by saying "around", but locks themselves in at saying the payload can be 227g.

Once again, I see nothing unique about this tri. The only aspect that's even slightly differant than the myraid tricopters I've seen here at rcgroups and other forums, is it has hinged props for a larger mini.
Did you ever test it? Everything you say is just from your personal speculation and not from your expertise. Let's talk again after the product launch, and as I said before the market is the jury.I will wait until then. Have a good one.
Jan 17, 2014, 10:58 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Did you ever test it? Everything you say is just from your personal speculation and not from your expertise. Let's talk again after the product launch, and as I said before the market is the jury.I will wait until then. Have a good one.

So I read 1100kv wrong in the video? The speculation of 6 or 7" props is abnormally incorrect? I read the claims of flight time and mass wrong on their site? Hinged-blade collets are not heavier than a nut or a cone, yet I more or less said it was a niffy compromise to compactness.

And yes I did speculate on the construction method and camera stability and made it clear I could be wrong or we'd found out.

Not sure where your coming from. . .unless you're from the campaign.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:02 PM
quadiger
despite all the dodgy claims, the folding props, enclosed design and apm with gps makes it look like a fun thing to quickly whip out and have a quick fly with.
From the looks of it, wouldn't want to have a hard crash though, the shell would probably shatter.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:07 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I see it exactly as I see the DJI Phantom. A pricy RTF multirotor where you use your wallet to get flying instead of your hobby skills in building.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just the way some people like to roll. . . uh . . .fly.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:22 PM
quadiger
Quote:
I see it exactly as I see the DJI Phantom. A pricy RTF multirotor where you use your wallet to get flying instead of your hobby skills in building.

Nothing wrong with that at all. It's just the way some people like to roll. . . uh . . .fly.
I;ve used my wallet plenty on the building side of things. It will probably make you spend more in the long run as now it has become a hobby and not a toy you can whip out for a quick fling.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Quote:
So I read 1100kv wrong in the video? The speculation of 6 or 7" props is abnormally incorrect? I read the claims of flight time and mass wrong on their site? Hinged-blade collets are not heavier than a nut or a cone, yet I more or less said it was a niffy compromise to compactness.

And yes I did speculate on the construction method and camera stability and made it clear I could be wrong or we'd found out.

Not sure where your coming from. . .unless you're from the campaign.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I am not associated and have nothing to do with the company. The difference between me and you is that I believe only in the market success or failure after the product hits the market and you believe what you read about the product before it's release. Good night.
Jan 17, 2014, 11:43 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I am not associated and have nothing to do with the company. The difference between me and you is that I believe only in the market success or failure after the product hits the market and you believe what you read about the product before it's release. Good night.
Twisting that into being mutually exclusive just by stating so, and 'believing' that I do not think it will be a success ... since I never said any thing of the kind ... is amazing.

Someone reassure me I'm watching the birth of a fanboy.
Jan 18, 2014, 12:16 AM
dry your eyes and go fly
i think all he is trying to say is these guys are contributing to the hobby stop trying to bash things before there even released maybe it has features no one has seen, who knows if the dji would have never came out you would not see so many diy multirotors, so mabe this will open some closed doors
Jan 18, 2014, 01:53 AM
Fark it. I preordered on a whim. Here's to hoping it pans out.
Jan 18, 2014, 09:46 PM
Kickstarter is pretty optomistic
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...l-flying-robot
Jan 18, 2014, 10:44 PM
Crashomatic
Quote:

these motors with 8x4 props would be pretty standard yeah. it'd lift a gopro too. flight times 20min however.. i probably just a lie.

I'd be a little more confident with an rcexplorer style tri with short arms. But then again the problem with that setup generally is stability.
Jan 19, 2014, 12:01 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
#6 "Longest Flight times of any copter under $500"

ANY copter, (purchased as an RTF or homebuilt) let alone tricopter? That is indeed a claim bold as hell.

Not that I want to be misunderstood as I was above, but that is what it says.

THAT is an example of the kind of complete and utter nonsense many kickstarter projects claim, to draw the naive into their world of fantasy, oh. . .and to also pull a few bucks out of their wallet.
Jan 19, 2014, 04:44 AM
I think that words like "up to 20 minute flights (fully loaded)" might be glossed over by potential backers, but certainly allows wriggle room, 4 minutes is "up to 20 minutes".

To note, I have backed 36 projects on Kickstarter, so I certainly not against the platform, I do think that backers must beware though as vapourware still exists on the platform.
Jan 21, 2014, 02:43 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe559
i think all he is trying to say is these guys are contributing to the hobby stop trying to bash things before there even released maybe it has features no one has seen, who knows if the dji would have never came out you would not see so many diy multirotors, so mabe this will open some closed doors
Multirotors were "out" long before DJI came on the scene , in fact i would say the complete opposite if it werent for the amount of self built tri's quads etc DJI would be a name long forgotten along with many other manufacturers. My first was a LaHeli Yufo a few years ago , diy'ers were building quads with just heli gyro's before that.

We shall see what this product brings , personally i don't see anything about it that warrants the price tag apart from possibly the collectors value a few years down the line , even then i can't really see its value the motors are cheap and the frame looks terrible but i am always ready to be pleasently surprised.

Wouldn't like to have to wait in line to order spares though and i hate having to wait for props.
Jan 21, 2014, 05:25 PM
dry your eyes and go fly
I know multirotors were out before dji, I said "so many" . And I have never touched a dji I can just simply see how many people are going to diy after buying one. And I hope this opens ideas for mini tris
Jan 21, 2014, 08:00 PM
apparently full specs are going to be released soon on their website
Jan 21, 2014, 09:20 PM
since it got bumped again.

i like the idea, if they pull it off. its clear that there are some hobby components in there but if they can garry gopro and get 20min flight time.....

its all a bit to good to be true though and smells a bit funny.

who knows maybe they are using secret russian technology.
Jan 21, 2014, 10:03 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
They've been shooting videos with cheap Chinese components mounted on what appears to be a 3D printed frame. Nothing "advanced" by any stretch.

But who knows, as some of you suggest, the whole gambit might be a ruse to hide the "real" Pocket Drone until its 'official release'.
Jan 22, 2014, 10:05 AM
HK will have probably have a clone kit selling for $50 (minus electronics) before the Kickstarter even gets delivered.

If it's 3D printed and they keep it all in-house, they may make the first shipment before it gets cloned. If they have it manufactured overseas, the clone might beat the real thing to market.
Jan 22, 2014, 10:10 AM
quadiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by mychalm
HK will have probably have a clone kit selling for $50 (minus electronics) before the Kickstarter even gets delivered.

If it's 3D printed and they keep it all in-house, they may make the first shipment before it gets cloned. If they have it manufactured overseas, the clone might beat the real thing to market.
I don't know why people keep saying HK will clone this and HK will clone that. The only things that come to mind they've cloned is open sourced hardware.
They still don't have a qav or tbs disco clone yet or even a mini h frame clone that has become so popular recently.
Jan 22, 2014, 10:16 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Personally, I don't see anything unique about it, other than hinged props on what otherwise is normally used on E-gliders and mini and micro multirotors. The collapsed position or configuration doesn't seem all that clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdas
I don't know why people keep saying HK will clone this and HK will clone that. The only things that come to mind they've cloned is open sourced hardware.
They still don't have a qav or tbs disco clone yet or even a mini h frame clone that has become so popular recently.
Don't know where that comes from. Hobby King has cloned crap loads of hardware, electronics and software. The latest uproar is them ripping off the KK2 and releasing the KK2.1 and dumping the guys who made that incredibly popular.
Jan 22, 2014, 10:21 AM
quadiger
Quote:

Don't know where that comes from. Hobby King has cloned crap loads of hardware, electronics and software. The latest uproar is them ripping off the KK2 and releasing the KK2.1 and dumping the guys who made that incredibly popular.
yep, I get it, you don't like the project. can you leave a link about the kk2 uproar? that sounds pretty wrong on hk's part if its true.
Jan 22, 2014, 10:49 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I didn't say I didn't 'like' the Pocket Drone. As a matter of fact, I DO like it, for what it is. I just think it's over hyped for the same reason... what it is ... and makes extremely bold claims that will be revolutionary . . . if true.

We'll see.

KK2 debacle;
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=21822
Jan 22, 2014, 11:44 AM
quadiger
Quote:
Damn that sucks. Sounds like a downright dog move on hk's part. The only things I get from them these days are lipos and escs and there aren't many options for those around my parts in oz.
Jan 26, 2014, 01:03 AM
They are getting close to that half mill mark...Bling Bling

Hope they keep doing well. That 20 minute claimed flight time had me scratching my head a little. Thought I saw somewhere that the hardware is compatible with Arducopter If so, the software on it is most likely Arducopter also.

Interesting that they claim to have the largest user network but I've never heard of them until now. Anyone know if they are using post processing stabilization software on that silky smooth flight footage they show?
Last edited by RCvertt; Jan 26, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Jan 26, 2014, 05:41 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
Interesting that they claim to have the largest user network but I've never heard of them until now. Anyone know if they are using post processing stabilization software on that silky smooth flight footage they show?
I tend to agree with Get Real, in that the video shown in several, if not all, of the clips on the Kickstarter page is NOT from a "stock" PD.
Jan 26, 2014, 09:59 PM
quadiger
Quote:
I tend to agree with Get Real, in that the video shown in several, if not all, of the clips on the Kickstarter page is NOT from a "stock" PD.
Its actually not from a pd at all. over at diydrones, they've freeze framed a shadow of it and it appears to be a multicopter with a gimbal doing those shots.
Jan 26, 2014, 10:14 PM
Crashomatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimdas
Its actually not from a pd at all. over at diydrones, they've freeze framed a shadow of it and it appears to be a multicopter with a gimbal doing those shots.
thats a pretty cool find :P
Jan 26, 2014, 10:45 PM
THAT is really f'd up. That is a really great find and thanks for bringing to our attention.
Jan 26, 2014, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp
thats a pretty cool find :P
+1
Looks like a red flag down on this play.

Maybe they meant to say "the largest nonexistent community with a tricopter that can probably shoot video like a large gimbaled octo that some how manages a flight time better than any similar sized tricopter on planet earth." I'm sure they would sell just as many with that pitch.

Thought I saw Chris Anderson from DIY drones name as one of the backers so this might get interesting.
Last edited by RCvertt; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
Jan 26, 2014, 11:02 PM
Says they are going to ship in June of this year, just three months after the close of the KS project time At least some of the backers caught the similar project on Indiegogo and got it taken down.

Fingers crossed that they are over hyping a legit project. If they get kind of close to their claims, they can bank on most people forgiving them I think.
Last edited by RCvertt; Jan 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Jan 27, 2014, 01:24 AM
Interesting that it was removed from indieagogo considering that they are abusing kickstarter as a preorder system. They really need to come clean about the videos being shot with a different product.

I was excited for this :\
Jan 27, 2014, 09:23 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
What I'm curious about, will they take returns ...no questions asked... if the PD falls woefully short (>5min) of the performance claims AND short of recording ultra smooth gimbaled video?
Jan 27, 2014, 03:43 PM
I don't think that indiegogo one was them. It was much less money. It also had the option marked for keeping all funds even if the funding goal wasn't reached. That's just asking for scam trouble which KS doesn't let you do. KS asked for more info when I did my KS project and you have to show a working prototype and not just a digital rendering.

Reading the backer comments, a lot of them don't appear to care how well it works yet. People are backing from out of the country that can't even get it shipped to them so they appear to at least be willing to take the risk.
Jan 27, 2014, 03:46 PM
Quote:
What I'm curious about, will they take returns ...no questions asked... if the PD falls woefully short (>5min) of the performance claims AND short of recording ultra smooth gimbaled video?
Buy one and let us know
Jan 27, 2014, 08:35 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Buy one and let us know
Expensive experiment to satisfy a curiosity.

I suspect it will be a token success. Maybe sell around 2000 units in the first 6 months and dry up to a dozen a month.
Jan 27, 2014, 08:40 PM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcvertt
buy one and let us know
+1.
Feb 04, 2014, 06:20 PM
Rather Be flying or Tinkering
Over a half a mil pledged already, Wow!
Who are all these people with blind faith in this project
I'm not sure how this whole KS thing works but if they start collecting pledged
funds in March when the project is funded what prevents them from taking the money and not producing anything real?
once 60 days pass or whatever the law is you can't dispute the charge on your credit card.
Feb 04, 2014, 07:44 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel
Who are all these people with blind faith in this project
"There's a sucker born every minute"
P. T. Barnum
Feb 10, 2014, 09:33 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Video was posted today of the pocket drone flying indoors. Granted its an indoor flight without wind to compensate for in perfect conditions but it looks reasonably stable and with proper set up an a decent pilot it looks to be the norm for video stability using a go pro without a gimbal and ive shot similar video like this with a tricopter myself. Nice to see some actual video demonstration and hopefully more will follow that will demonstrate the follow me and other functions listed. The flight time of up to 20 minutes with a go pro is gonna be tough one im sure in actual flight conditions outdoors during normal flight.

The Pocket Drone @ DeveloperTown (3 min 19 sec)
Feb 10, 2014, 09:44 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
As you say, it looks about as expected ascending and descending slowly, staying out its own thrust column, moving slowly ... in an enclosed space ...
Feb 11, 2014, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel
...what prevents them from taking the money and not producing anything real?...
From the kickstarter website... "Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?
Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill."

Sure there is some risk but last I checked, it now comes with LED lights
Feb 11, 2014, 10:58 PM
I did receive a reply to my inquiry about flight modes, flips, and acro performance.

The video above confirms the reply. Not expecting much agility with such minuscule thrust.
Feb 12, 2014, 02:46 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Im sure he is trying to fly slow and smooth for good video capture,He probably isnt flying to demonstrate the power potential of the power set up at all in that video. The power set up in the pocket drone is plenty capable of acro,Ive flown the same size motors as there using in a few multirotors but with 1450kv and at heavier AUW then the pocket drone is listed at rtf. It would have enough thrust but board set up and the frame itself would not be suited for acro etc.

Tricopter was around 22oz rtf with a 1300mah 3s pack but i was flying a 2200mah 3s pack here. 1450kv 2208 suppos
''Goblin'' Tricopter Windy Day (4 min 38 sec)
Last edited by Get Real; May 11, 2014 at 09:37 PM.
Feb 12, 2014, 05:57 PM
Are you getting near the 20 minute flight time the pocket people get?
Feb 12, 2014, 06:02 PM
Droids team just posted... "Yes, ArduCopter does work with the Pocket Drone and comes preloaded with what we are shipping."

So it sounds like a repackaging of Arducopter. If they haven't changed the code base at all it'll be interesting to see what 3D Robotics thinks about this.
Feb 12, 2014, 11:30 PM
Crashomatic
at this size with no wind its less stable than a random larger tricopter tho. might be the setup, but then again, i'd expect such a small one with this weight to be unstable.
Feb 13, 2014, 03:51 AM
I just noticed at the end of the video if you read the faded type that it says the "actual product may vary". I think the shaky tri we see in the latest video accounts for that variance.

I could learn a thing or two about marketing from these guys. I purposely made my project sound much more difficult than it actually is and it did terrible
Feb 13, 2014, 10:42 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
I could learn a thing or two about marketing from these guys.
You mean BS with carefree abandon, then pull back with a "performance may vary" caveat just before release?

Nah, your approach was MUCH more honest. They will most likely pay (literally) for the BS in having to manage returns and complaints.
Feb 13, 2014, 01:46 PM
You got it. Haven't had to deal with someone wanting a refund yet, though granted they would get it if requested. I'm too soft for this whole "running a business" thing.

That does it, I'm introducing a new product I'm coming out with now. Below is an image of my NEW design. It folds up into a regular pants pocket form factor, has a micro gimballed dual lens wide screen RED camera for both day and night FPV flying, can fly for 21 minutes at speeds in excess of 100 mph while utilizing new patent pending quad thruster technology! Actual claims and images may very greatly.
Feb 13, 2014, 02:01 PM
The New DaVinci
LOL good marketing RCvertt, let us know about the interest this generates
Feb 13, 2014, 02:20 PM
Crashomatic
I WANT ONE!! lol
Feb 13, 2014, 02:50 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
That does it, I'm introducing a new product I'm coming out with now. Below is an image of my NEW design. It folds up into a regular pants pocket form factor, has a micro gimballed dual lens wide screen RED camera for both day and night FPV flying, can fly for 21 minutes at speeds in excess of 100 mph while utilizing new patent pending quad thruster technology! Actual claims and images may very greatly.
I'm lovin' the proto-type you sent me. Looking forward to your licensing agreement with GoPro so it might me included in your origami folding technology.

Feb 13, 2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys. With over a half million in sales already without even starting my KickStarter campaign yet, I am truly humbled. It has really been rewarding for myself and Cyberdactyl to get this campaign off the ground. Having single handedly created one of the largest drone user communities in the world, which you may know of as RCgroups, we will continue to forge ahead with your support in this new era of personal drone use.

Thanks for testing out the proto for me Cyberdactyl. Those special Neodymium nitride magnets really get that thing off the ground light as a feather, doesn't it. Actual drone video will be uploaded soon, I promise. Actual video and drone may not actually exist.
Feb 13, 2014, 08:16 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Quote:
Are you getting near the 20 minute flight time the pocket people get?
Even with a 2200mah 3s pack i cant't get near 20 minute flight times without destroying the lipo. With less aggressive flight and landing at about 10 volts under load about 12 minute flights are more realistic. Because that tricopter is about the same weight as the pocket drone with a go pro results should be similar if using a 3s 2200mah pack. Since the beginning of the pocket drone launch ive really been tempted to build a similar size and weight tricopter to demonstrate actual flight times to expect from something like there product. We know what gear is being used,we know exactly what a go pro in its protective case weighs. With the lower kv outrunners they use and 2200 mah packs 15 minutes while carrying a go pro without destroying the pack is more reasonable but that would still be stretching flight times a bit and well below the up to 20 minute flight time listed with a go pro attached. As i noted earlier more power to them if they can deliver on the claims,the marketing is marketing.. Actions speak louder than words and seeing actual flight demonstrations is much more effective to validate the marketing.
Feb 13, 2014, 08:36 PM
I agree with what you said. 15 min sounds like the upper limit for this ship on a good day. If you'r giving out 500$ to a project that doesn't even have international shipping available for you yet then I doubt they will care much about a 5 to 7 minute difference in flight time, but I guess we will see.

I would be curious to know what the actual profit on such a campaign is. Over half a mill sounds like a lot until you factor in it's being split at least three ways, is taxable income, and a bit of over head in actually getting something produced and out the door to say the least.
Feb 13, 2014, 09:16 PM
Flippin Multirotors
They have in recent weeks offered international shipping. Depending on the package ordered shipping starts at $79-$99 for those outside the US. Looking through the comments on the KS page its clear many have little or no experience with multirotors and probably don't utilize resources like rcg and other forums to know what to expect that is realistic from a smaller machine like the pocket drone. Should be interesting once these are out in the hands of others and feedback starts popping up along with user videos etc.
Feb 14, 2014, 12:20 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I would lay 5 to 1 odds it will perform like a medium-small DYI tricopter using Turnigy 1100KV motors with 8" props.
Feb 15, 2014, 11:38 AM
Always, against the wind
Thread OP
As I mentioned before I have nothing to do with the company but this is impressive:

Backers
$619,301
pledged of $35,000 goal
days to go

Quick Reply