Mar 07, 2004, 05:07 AM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Thread OP

RBC Horten 10-13/b proto #2 building thread

In summer of 2003 I did see the 2nd flight of the Lippisch P20 prototype in Helmond (Netherlands) and I ordered a kit the same day! just to be sure to be the first!
A few weeks later Ton showed me a pic of a Horten 13-b which he wanted to design next. after reading info at luft'46 I decided I wanted to be the first man in line for this kit too!
I started to build the yak-23 to learn about building all wood edf kits and practised on finishing. just to be well prepared for the Lippish (available soon) We didn't knew then this would be a fuse of glass.

After finished My yak I builded aRBC micro-warbird Bearcat (gallery) to place some hardware I could not place in an edf kit.I was waiting for Steves Me P1101 and RBC Lippish P20 to arrive (I still am).
Meanwhile, Ton is too busie with other projects and Rob finished the design Ton started. I was offered to build an 2nd prototype along with Rob (2 planes). I did not expect this! Now I have to build 3 edf kits at the same time! Think I do not. Just start on the Ho-13b becouse this is a proto and it arrived first.( and it is fun to fly a plane which cannot be ordered yet!

First the luft'46 link:
http://www.luft46.com/horten/ho13b.html

http://www.luft46.com/mmart/ho13bmm.html
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2004, 05:19 AM
Thread OP
some pics I found of the Horten 13b. If you can add more pics (hard to find), please do!
Mar 07, 2004, 05:20 AM
Thread OP
top view:
Mar 07, 2004, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
in color
Mar 07, 2004, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
more..
Mar 07, 2004, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
more...
Mar 07, 2004, 05:29 AM
Thread OP
last of pic berfore starting building, the Horten Logo!
Mar 07, 2004, 05:34 AM
Thread OP
Oops, forgot a pic of the 1st proto Rob build. It flew well, but it needed some minor changes.
Mar 07, 2004, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
My kit includes 20 planks of balsa
plans are very minimal and it is hard to build the plane without help from Rob. He sends me photo's of his plane in progress very frequent and I follow (lol!)

1st proto was build as an one piece plane, but due to the large sizes of this birdie on the 2nd proto the wings will be attached as final parts.
I do intend to cover the plane with glass cloth and a clear coat of paint. personally, I prefer this finish more rather than a warbird camo on a Horten.
I am allowed to build this plane the way I think is best.
To glue the wings to the fuselage whith a very small seam might be to hard to do so I might build the plane in one piece too and plank the wings afterwards. Need more thought on this. other modifications might not be included in the final kit too.

Btw, the Horten is designed for Wemotec minifan 480.
Mar 07, 2004, 06:02 AM
Thread OP
Might as well cut out all parts, no one who dissaproves
Mar 07, 2004, 06:06 AM
Thread OP
I counted 64 parts and a bunch of new planks and strips of balsa. Neeldess to say Qty of the balsa and the cut parts are very nice!
Mar 07, 2004, 06:10 AM
Thread OP
the fuse is build up side down. starting with the base plate and gluing the formers in place.
Mar 07, 2004, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
wing root ribs attached. check from all sides you can think of these parts are glued square and in line to the base plates and formers. the wings will be glued on these so be sure these are square and flat.
Mar 07, 2004, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Very often the intakes of RBC edf are made from cardboard. I do prefer thin ply (I took a peek on the Me P1101 building thread, thanks Steve!). gluing an ply intake to the formers makes it impossible to twist the fuse so be carefull and check before glueing! The intake is a cone and to make this easy the ply is going to sink in the aquarium. make sure the overlap is 20mm minimal on all sides

I used a MF480 and a can of Tamya silver leaf (LOL Steve! for the Me!) and lots of rope and tape.
Mar 07, 2004, 06:39 AM
Thread OP
Its a cone
just let it swim for a few hours and let it dry.
Advice for the cardboard intake was to place the overlap on the longest side of the intake. for ply, I do the opposite couse ply is stiff enough itself. I do draw the outlines of the intake on the outside and inside of the ply sheet. I use a dremel tool to cut the sheet I do not need after planking to keep the cone nice and round.

Quick Reply