Jan 09, 2014, 10:30 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Contest

Unlimited TD Contest - June 21 and 22 2014 - Long Island, NY

The Long Island Silent Flyers (www.lisf.org) is proud to host two Eastern Soaring League Unlimited Sailplane TD contests on June 21 and 22 on Long Island, NY.

Click http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=165 to register.

Anything that can be launched from the winch is welcome.

Experts and Sportsman classes

Novice pilots are welcome and fly free, so if you are new to contest flying but are comfortable being in the air with other pilots you will be welcome. We have plenty of landing area away from the tapes if you are not yet accomplished in the landing circle. If you are not comfortable launching from a winch, we will help you and are happy to launch your glider for you.

Discussion of the meaning of Expert, Sportsman and Novice
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

Lunch will be available each day.

Awards: Expert and Sportsman to 3rd place . Best two day overall award. Novice flyers to 2nd place. NOVICE registration is FREE.

Mike Lavelle and Ed Anderson Co-CDs.
Last edited by aeajr; May 21, 2014 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 20, 2014, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
BTW, if you like to fly thermal soaring contests and can't make this one in June we have:

ESL HL contest in August

Unlimited TD in September

So if you can't make this one in June, we have others for you. www.flyesl.org
Last edited by aeajr; May 21, 2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: changed format
Feb 13, 2014, 02:04 PM
Thread OP
Video from one of our previous ESL contests at LISF - MOM launch
That's me in the tan hat and blue shirt calling the launch
LISF Hosted ESL Thermal Duration Contest - Launching (1 min 1 sec)

And here is a landing sequence from a different ESL contest in Birdsboro PA
These guys are really good!
ESL Landing Aug 25 2013 (1 min 9 sec)
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 16, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Mar 31, 2014, 10:34 PM
Thread OP
We are about 11 weeks away and everything is set.

For the June contest we will have the field open on Friday afternoon, weather permitting. And we may have a burger/dog bbq after practice, again weather permitting and my Wife being in an agreeable mood.

Actually she likes the ESL folks and having all the practice pilots over Friday evening is her idea.

So, who wants a burger?
Apr 20, 2014, 08:10 PM
Thread OP
Spring is finally here and the beautiful soaring weather has returned to Long Island.
Happy Easter everyone.
May 21, 2014, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
4 weeks to go. Time to join the people who will be flying with us.

www.flyesl.org
Jun 08, 2014, 12:13 PM
Thread OP
Two weeks to go and we have 22 pilots registered with more expected. Spoke to a bunch of people yesterday. Know of at least 4 more who will fly. that would take us to 26 and counting.
Jun 19, 2014, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
The LISF 1 TD contest is this weekend. Looks like we should have 30+ pilots.

Here are a couple of reminders for those who are coming:

1) Field will be open for practice around noon on Friday.

2) Nassau County has asked that we park our cars 10 feet back from the uncut/tall grass area. This is a nature preserve and we don't want to take a chance that we might injure birds, turtles or other animals that might be sunning or that may have nested just off the edge of the tall grass.

3) Nassau County asks us to remind visitors that dogs are not allowed in the nature preserve. I don't recall anyone bringing a dog but this is a county rule so please be mindful of this.

4) BBQ after practice on Friday. If you come to practice than you are invited to join my wife and I at our house for burgers and dogs after Friday's practice 6 to 8:30. Nothing fancy. Burgers and dogs, soda, water and some cold salads. If you want something else, bring it. Pilots and companions are welcome.

This is the weather report I just published to the club as part of my weekly newsletter.

FLYING CONDITIONS FOR THIS WEEKEND AT STILLWELL -

FRIDAY – Sunny, 76 with winds of 7 mph in the morning going to 10 mph in the afternoon. A beautiful flying day. Note that visiting ESL pilots will be joining us on the field for practice. Gate will be open from about Noon. We have permits for the field all weekend.

SATURDAY – ESL Contest – Mostly Sunny, 75 with winds from NE of 5 mph in the morning switching to South and 9 mph in the afternoon. Perfect contest weather. Chance of scattered showers late in the afternoon/evening, most likely after the contest is over.

SUNDAY – ESL Contest – Partly cloudy, 76 with winds of 5 mph in the morning going to 8 mph in the afternoon. Perfect contest weather

So, if you have not signed up there is still time.
http://www.flyesl.org/Contest.aspx?contestid=165

We look forward to flying with you.

Ed Anderson
Co-CD
Jun 23, 2014, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
The contest is in the books. The weather could not have been better.

I will post a link t the final standings when they are available on the ESL web site. In the mean time here are photos and video from the contest.

Photos and video from the contest:

Landing Sequence video
Eastern Soaring League contest landings at Long Island Silent Flyers contest 6/21/14 (0 min 48 sec)

Photos
http://www.lisf.org/home/photos/2014...ndy/index.html
http://www.lisf.org/home/photos/2014...ndy/index.html
http://www.lisf.org/home/photos/2014...fer/index.html
Jun 23, 2014, 12:12 PM
Ed,
Watching the video you posted I was wondering if you guys were landing down wind..
The approaches and pokes were appeared to be tough on the gliders ! LJ
Jun 23, 2014, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
The winds were fairly light both days. As a result we were getting regular cycles where you were on approach when the breeze would shift and you would be landing down wind. Those might have been down wind landings.

I had one where I was setting up for a landing, almost no breeze but as I turned on final the breeze shifted and I was coming in down wind on a growing breeze, perhaps from 2 mph into the wind to about 7 mph down wind. I had to overshoot the landing area as I was picking up speed rather than slowing down and coming in too fast.
Jun 23, 2014, 12:58 PM
Thought that might be the case..LJ

Quick Reply