Feb 15, 2014, 07:04 AM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Balloon
hardware would be canbus to teensy to whatever?
Correct
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2014, 12:17 PM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Connected Naza via CAN and Teensy to MinimOSD and modified the MinimOSD adapter to work with CAN. Works nicely (see attachment) including throttle level, battery voltage/level, artificial horizon, alarms and all the usual OSD stuff.

You can even switch panels and change settings in Minim's setup menu using your TX.

GPS coords blurred for privacy.
Feb 18, 2014, 06:11 PM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Since we now have all the telemetry data I've started playing with the FrSky telemetry capable RX (D8R-IIplus) and given Teensy has extra serial port I've added small FrSky hub emulator code sending the telemetry data directly to my Turnigy 9x LCD. That gives me all the telemetry data not only in my goggles, but also on the TX (if the video link is lost or I take my goggles off) which is pretty cool

For those who do not have telemetry capable RX/TX we could probable use the audio link of the vTX, but I do not have any experience with FSK modulation or whatever coding is needed to send the data over the audio line. Anybody with the FSK experience?
Feb 19, 2014, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky
Since we now have all the telemetry data I've started playing with the FrSky telemetry capable RX (D8R-IIplus) and given Teensy has extra serial port I've added small FrSky hub emulator code sending the telemetry data directly to my Turnigy 9x LCD. That gives me all the telemetry data not only in my goggles, but also on the TX (if the video link is lost or I take my goggles off) which is pretty cool

For those who do not have telemetry capable RX/TX we could probable use the audio link of the vTX, but I do not have any experience with FSK modulation or whatever coding is needed to send the data over the audio line. Anybody with the FSK experience?
That's cool. Any chance of sharing the Teensy code. I'm using Frysky X6R (similar to X8R) which is using S.Port. It might be different with D8R protocal but there is already a code for S.Port messaging just need the Naza input data. I want to test it also.

I was using this for my APM but definitely want it also on Naza.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2093009
Last edited by francischie; Feb 19, 2014 at 01:38 AM.
Feb 19, 2014, 02:51 AM
Hi pawelsky,
great job you did there, figuring out all this CAN messages. Thanks thor that
I'm searching for a way to implement Graupner HOTT telemetrie with Naza.
Can you tell something about the CAN interface on the Teensy? Do i need some additional CAN-Transceiver IC in between? Are you using some kind of library for the CAN communication or is this all written by yourself?

Hayo
Feb 19, 2014, 04:46 AM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by francischie
That's cool. Any chance of sharing the Teensy code. I'm using Frysky X6R (similar to X8R) which is using S.Port. It might be different with D8R protocal but there is already a code for S.Port messaging just need the Naza input data. I want to test it also.

I was using this for my APM but definitely want it also on Naza.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2093009
I will not be sharing any code yet at least not until there is a native CAN library for Teensy available (Teensy creator is going to work on that in the near future).
Feb 19, 2014, 04:59 AM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayo
Hi pawelsky,
great job you did there, figuring out all this CAN messages. Thanks thor that
I'm searching for a way to implement Graupner HOTT telemetrie with Naza.
Can you tell something about the CAN interface on the Teensy? Do i need some additional CAN-Transceiver IC in between? Are you using some kind of library for the CAN communication or is this all written by yourself?
There is no native CAN library available for Teensy yet (but its creator promises to work on that in the near future), so you need not only the CAN transceiver, but also a CAN controller.

I'm using a MCP2515 based, SPI controlled CAN transceiver+controller shield with a 16MHz clock (had to replace the 8Mhz one that was originally on the board).

To control it I'm using this CAN library as it has verified support for 1Mbps CAN speed.
Feb 24, 2014, 07:18 AM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP

iOSD Naza-M v2 log to GoogleEarth KML converter

As a side effect of the CAN bus protocol investigations I've started work on a
iOSD Naza-M v2 log to GoogleEarth KML converter.

More details here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2110259
Last edited by pawelsky; Feb 24, 2014 at 07:28 AM.
Mar 02, 2014, 12:04 PM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP

Correction of the PMU CAN pinout diagram

I've just noticed that I've swapped CAN H/L pin labels on the PMU CAN pinout diagram in the first post. Sorry for that.

It is now corrected - the rightmost pin is CAN L.
Mar 03, 2014, 05:53 PM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Looks like I'm talking to myself recently, but just to give you some update on the progress, I did some tests with the native CAN communication on Teensy with some prototype library using the transceiver only, and it looks promising. I was able to send data to Naza, forcing it to start providing the OSD messages and I was also able to receive some (yet incomplete) data.

I'm using an off-the-shelf transceiver board (picture attached), but in the meantime I've been playing with the Eagle SW trying to design a small CAN transceiver shield that would go underneath the Teensy board (3D model attached).

Wonder if there is anyone experienced in PCB design and manufacturing that could produce these cheaply once the final design is ready?
Mar 03, 2014, 07:51 PM
I'm simply not qualified to substantively participate, but just to keep you posting, I'm very interested in this topic and am subbed to this thread . Thanks for sharing all your findings!
Mar 03, 2014, 08:05 PM
AMA member since May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by elguano
i'm simply not qualified to substantively participate, but just to keep you posting, i'm very interested in this topic and am subbed to this thread . Thanks for sharing all your findings!
+ 1
Mar 03, 2014, 10:47 PM
Quote:

This is incredible!
Can you advise as to what hardware would be needed to replicate this?

That is, I have er9X loaded on my Turnigy 9x, and I use the FrSky module with the D8R-IIPlus rx. I would love to try this out! Especially if it could display voltage, number of satellites, altitude, etc! I would actually prefer that over having the info on an OSD since I rarely do FPV!

Edit:
Quote:
I will not be sharing any code yet at least not until there is a native CAN library for Teensy available (Teensy creator is going to work on that in the near future).
I see that my request is a bit premature. In either case, keep up the good work!!
Mar 04, 2014, 03:26 AM
Makers gonna make...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder
Can you advise as to what hardware would be needed to replicate this?

That is, I have er9X loaded on my Turnigy 9x, and I use the FrSky module with the D8R-IIPlus rx. I would love to try this out! Especially if it could display voltage, number of satellites, altitude, etc! I would actually prefer that over having the info on an OSD since I rarely do FPV!
You would need Teensy, CAN transceiver and RS232 to TTL adapter (e.g. this one). Plus of course your Turnigy 9x modified to read the telemetry data from the TX module.
Mar 04, 2014, 06:35 AM
Hey guys,

Great work on decoding the CAN bus Pawelsky. I'm a very experienced PCB designer and I could design a PCB and will take care of shipping around the world. I can't come up with a price yet, as this greatly depends on the size of the PCB, the components, and the demand.

We could also bypass the Teensy completely - and make a complete solution that will plug into the Naza CANbus directly? What outputs would people like to see?
Last edited by SeBsZ; Mar 04, 2014 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply