Jan 08, 2014, 03:10 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Supermarine S.5

from wikipedia
The Supermarine S.5 was a 1920s British single-engined single-seat racing seaplane built by Supermarine. Designed specifically for the Schneider Trophy competition, the S.5 was the progenitor of a line of racing aircraft that ultimately led to the Supermarine Spitfire.
The Supermarine S.5 was designed by Reginald Mitchell for the 1927 Schneider Trophy. Following the earlier loss of the S.4 before the 1925 Schneider Trophy event Mitchell designed a new all-metal monoplane racer. Unlike the S.4's all-wood structure, the S.5 featured composite construction with the semi-monocoque fuselage mainly duralumin including the engine cowlings. The S.5 had a low, braced wing with spruce spars and spuce-ply ribs and a plywood skin. The wing surface radiators made up of corrugated copper sheets replaced the Lamblin type radiators of the S.4. Three aircraft were built, one with a direct drive 900 hp (671 kW) Napier Lion VIIA engine, and the other two with a geared 875 hp (652 kW) Napier Lion VIIB engine.

The first aircraft flew for the first time on 7 June 1927. The S.5s came 1st and 2nd in the 1927 race held at Venice, the winning aircraft (Serial number N220) was flown by Flight Lieutenant S.N Webster at an average speed of 281.66 mph (453.28 km/h). [2]

One S.5, N221 crashed during an attempt on the world air speed record on 12 March 1928, killing the pilot Flight Lieutenant Samuel Kinkead (who had flown the Gloster IV in the 1927 Schneider Trophy Race).[2]

Mitchell decided that the Napier engined aircraft had reached its limits of performance due to the powerplant and for the 1929 Schneider Trophy race, redesigned the aircraft with a new Rolls-Royce engine as the Supermarine S.6. Concern over the unreliability of the Gloster VI, led to the High Speed Flight entering one S.5 (N219) along with the two S.6s for the race. The S.5 flown by Flight Lieutenant D'Arcy Creig finished third in 46 minutes 15 seconds at a speed of 282.11 mph (454.20 km/h), behind the winning S.6 flown by Flying Officer H.R. Waghorn and a Macchi M.52

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 24 ft 3 in (7.32 m)
Wingspan: 26 ft 9 in (8.15 m)
Height: 11 ft 1 in (3.38 m)
Wing area: 115 ft (10.7 m)
Empty weight: 2,680 lb (1,215 kg)
Loaded weight: 3,242 lb (1,470 kg)
Powerplant: 1 Napier Lion VIIA water cooled broad arrow, 900 hp (671 kW)

Performance

Maximum speed: 319.57 mph (514.3 km/h)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2014, 05:19 PM
I've had those drawings for years! IMHO best looking of the Supermarine racers.

Great photos. Note seaweed (?) caught on the aft float wire.

Some of Robinsons' best work.

It's hard to imagine these designs are from the same time period as Spirit of St Louis!
Jan 08, 2014, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Great photos. Note seaweed (?) caught on the aft float wire.
I like that photo because it gives you a sense of scale. Look at the width of the fuselage compared to the size of the man stepping from the a/c.

That is a VERY thin fuselage.

I'm going to be posting more on the Schneider Trophy a/c. I have always thought they number among the prettiest planes ever built.
Sep 08, 2016, 08:48 AM
Complete Robinson article and 1/72 scale drawing. This was the individual MAP "Plan Pack" purchased mail order, from Bill Dean, out of NY. It also included a larger, 1/36 scale blue line print. IIRC, both Scale Models and Aeromodeller magazines were 7.5" x 9.75" until sometime in early 70's, when they went to 8.5" x 11". I threw in the ubiquitous MAP drawings list for nostalgia! It came on the back of every plan pack article and appeared in nearly every magazine. I also get nostalgic over old Sig balsa ads!

Quick Reply