Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 07, 2014, 09:29 PM
Life is better now
Discussion

Katie Martin Tribute IV June 7, 2014

Hi Fellow Slope Flyers:

Its that time of year again to announce the 4th Annual Katie Martin Tribute Fly-In. The event in the USA will be hosted by the Torrey Pines Gulls at the beautiful Torrey Pines Gliderport slope near San Diego. I have not yet confirmed it but again this year, our good friends in Great Britain, Spain and Venezuela will probably be holding Tributes to Katie also. Last year was a truly international event and my sincere thanks to everyone, here and overseas that came together to honor Katie.

The date is June 7th at the world famous bluff of Torrey Pines beginning at 12 noon PDT.
See attached PDF flyer and forward to your friends and family.

We are planning on having games and a raffle for prizes again that was so successful last year (the logistics is still being planned as of this writing). If you would like to make some suggestions lets hear them. If you have a donation you would like to offer for the raffle, please PM me.

Torrey Pines has a few rules and they are:

1) Current proof of AMA membership required.

2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the glider port. This takes about 10 minutes.

3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $7.50/day or $150/year for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.

4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of expirations of AMA. You will be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

- Torrey Pines is an active airport and must follow stringent rules as per the City of San Diego which requires these rules to be in place.
- Most of you that will be attending are most likely not Gulls members, and are not rated to fly at Torrey Pines. You are however allowed to fly Torrey as a Gulls guest as long as all of the requirements are met.
- You must have a Gulls member as a spotter at all times if you fly as a guest. You can also join the club and get a rating and fly unattended. You must have a qualified Gull to give you a rating. The rating process is simple to acquire and only takes about 20 minutes, so try to show up early.
- If you have any questions on flying Torrey Pines, please direct them to JIM SCOTT (aka 'Pismo' on RCG - TPG Slope Coordinator). Also check out the Gulls web site, it is a very nice site with quite a bit of information here.

A few photos of the Tribute around the world!
Last edited by bob57hdt; Feb 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: adding pictures and flyer
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2014, 01:05 AM
gonzalo contreras

Enough time

Thanks Bob for the info and the link of the Katie Martin Fest in the present year, we have enough time to organize the event here. I keep in contact with you and the link.

Regards

Gonzalo
Jan 09, 2014, 12:39 PM
Life is better now
International Tribute it will be again. I have heard from our friends in Venezuela and they are excited about joining in for a global international Tribute to Katie again this year. It really thrills me to have such enthusiasm to honor Katie. I know our products were sold in ten or more countries around the world and we would like to invite anyone in any country to contact us on how to join this international tribute to Katie Martin. We are still waiting to hear from our friends in Spain. Their Club meeting is coming up soon and they will inform us after the Club votes.
Last edited by bob57hdt; Jan 18, 2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Correct information
Jan 10, 2014, 08:11 AM
This is AWESOME!!!!!
the 4th Katie Martin Tribute. Honoring the Queen of RC soaring.
Iam sooooo proud of you Bob, you have come a long way!!!!!
May this be the best ever.
That is so exciting to see the world participating. Katie was world wide
Guess Id better start checking batterys.
Last year I brought only my high powered fancy composite planes. The wind was light and I wished I had brought my trusty Hobie Hawks. The Hobie flew all day while I had to wait for a bit stronger breeze for my fancy planes
I cant wait to see you all again this year!!!!!
Brent
Jan 10, 2014, 09:51 PM
Aeronca Driver
Hi Bob

Have to agree with all of Brent's words from above. I will be attending again for the 4th year. It is a great event in memory a great Lady. Janet and I cannot wait.

-john
Jan 13, 2014, 09:46 AM
I am looking forward to being there again this year Bob. It's getting bigger each year!!!!
Jan 19, 2014, 10:54 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
I will be there again this year as well. I'm really looking forward to it!

Dave
Jan 19, 2014, 11:20 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
I hope to make it this year.

Dale
Jan 19, 2014, 11:27 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by he4gott
I hope to make it this year.

Dale
It would be great to see you again Dale, it's been a long time.

Dave
Jan 20, 2014, 09:28 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I hated to miss last year's event, but obligations forced my hand. There isn't any reason why I can't be there this year, though, so it's at the top of my "must do" list again.

Here's a little heads-up for those of you who might want to make a San Diego weekend out of it and do something different on Sunday: Gillespie Field will be host to AirShow San Diego on the 7th and 8th. I've been to a couple of these and was very impressed, so I'll probably get a room for Saturday night and do the AirShow on Sunday before I head back up the coast.

Pete
Jan 21, 2014, 03:26 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Looking forward to another celebration of one great lady, our QUEEN of RC. And the Torrey Pines slope is just a great venue for all of its ammenities including a fantastic view, great weather and food to boot. I would encourage we all invite our friends and family for a day of fun in the sun in honor of Katie. And bring all your slope planes! Thank you Torrey Pines Gulls for hosting 4 successive years!

Thanks Bob for heading the Tribute up this year. Im there to help out however I can.

Eric
Jan 22, 2014, 08:05 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Hi buddies, as the Club Meeting is for some and anothers reasons cancelling too much, last sunday, that way reason Directive Staff were joined just to debate about the KMT and emailed all people about this year Katie Martin Global Tribute.
Absolutly all 49 club fellows were Ok to join this year too and celebrate the spanish tribute.
New threads in the spanish forums are opened about the event calling all sailplane pilots from all Spain, and were working on the event....
http://www.miliamperios.com/foro/pos....html#p1259055
The idea is to celebrate on the same area than last year; Punta Candor coastals sand dunes or another flying slopes in town like El Chorrillo close to US Naval Station, or others sites from near cities acording by weather...
http://www.playas.es/cadiz/rota/playa-punta-candor.htm
http://www.playas.es/cadiz/rota/play...l-gordillo.htm
Regards.
Manolo.
Last edited by ultimatetwo; Jan 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
Jan 23, 2014, 07:44 PM
Life is better now
Manolo and Club members,
I am so proud to have you and your fellow flyers in the club and all of Spain join us again this year in celebrating Katie. Truly a great tribute to a great lady.
Bob Martin
Feb 17, 2014, 12:21 AM
Life is better now
Last years Tribute to Katie was held on what would have been her 68th birthday. This year we will be celebrating and paying tribute to Katie on the day after what would have been our 50th wedding anniversary. Time passes quickly but the memories I have are vivid and filled with great times we had together. This tribute allows me and you to say thank you once again for her lasting contributions to our sport.
Feb 17, 2014, 08:58 PM
Life is better now

Katie martin global tribute fly in

Our friend and fellow flyer, OldScooler, made up this flyer for this years event. It is in a PDF format so you can print it out and post it on your workshop wall. Better yet, print out a couple and take them to your favorite hobby shop and post them on their wall. I am going to collect as many prizes I can for the raffle between now and the Tribute in June. If any of you have any contacts that you might talk to or give me their email or phone number I would be glad to contact them. Working together we can make this years event even bigger than last year. Here is the flyer!
Thanks in advance!
Bob
Last edited by bob57hdt; Feb 21, 2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: new Flyer