Jan 07, 2014, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hanger 9 60cc Corsair w/ FG 84 R3

I first got a look at this bird at Joe Nall and made the decision that this is the one I was waiting on. Finally a 60 size Corsair I could get a radial motor in that was more affordable than the Comp Arf/Moki price tag.

It is completed and ready for maiden and when this NC weather gives me a break (hopefully this Saturday) we will have video to share.

The FG 84 didn't really sound that great until I installed the Kelleo exhaust ring. Wow, What a wake up. Kelvin did an awesome job and it fit with very few tweaks.

I did make a few modifications that better suited my build.

1. I installed a SmartFly system just to make sure my new Hitec HSB-9475SH servos had plenty of power.

2. I painted the speed breaks white just out of personal preference.

3. The 4 switches operating the aircraft, engine, and lights were installed in the cockpit floor.

4. The FG 84 was installed using the original engine box offset and I only needed to cut out for one set of valve covers on the bottom. You could mount the engine flat and squeeze the FG 84 into position but I didn't want to rely on rudder at low speeds.

5. I didn't want to remove the cowling for engine tuning so I installed a couple of brass tubes to direct the included flat blade screw driver tool right down to the engine adjustment screws.

6. Since the plane already has nav lights I decided to go ahead an include landing lights.

7. Installed Aircraft simulation Whistles in the wings

8. Installed 1/4 inch adapters to the cowling mounts on the fuse. This had to be done in order to accomodate the Kelleo exhaust ring installation which had to move the engine out another 1/4 inch.

The pilot is an aces of Iron custom painted. I certainly didn't paint it as that is way above my pay grade. The prop is a Biela Corsair 22 X 12 and I get 5800 RPM static.

FG84Test (0 min 34 sec)

Landing Lights (0 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Condor060; Jan 07, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2014, 05:29 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Where did you get the FG84? They are available from RC Japan for about $400 less than Horizon & Horizon still doesn’t have them “in stock”.

The spark ignition really makes a world of difference, especially @ idle. I’m building a methanol version from an FA450 that had the cylinders trashed. It will be an FA512R3D W/CDI. (same displacement) FA180 pots bolt right on & have larger valves than the FG84 cylinders. I haven’t decided yet if I will use FG57 or FG84 pistons. FG57 pistons will require that the crank web be shaved a little but I have to do that anyway for clearing the jug spigots after I have the decks milled .035” to raise the compression to about 12:1. Output should be about 7 HP on 15% nitro.

It’s going into my 85” Top Flite FW190A.

Is that a Keleo collector ring?
Jan 07, 2014, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
Yeah, The Keleo exhaust gives this engine a huge difference in sound. I tried both but the stock pipes just sounds like a little Saito.

I got the bird and the motor from Donnie over at Chief Aircraft. Great Guy.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:38 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor060
Yeah, The Keleo exhaust gives this engine a huge difference in sound. I tried both but the stock pipes just sounds like a little Saito.

I got the bird and the motor from Donnie over at Chief Aircraft. Great Guy.
Does the Keleo change the power output any?
Jan 07, 2014, 06:47 PM
Thread OP
I don't really know. I would assume it would. The only way to really find out is to fly it with both but that would be way too much work on this bird.
Jan 07, 2014, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
I forgot to tell ya, I have the TF FW 190 on a DLE 55. Great flying plane. I sent the retracts to Down and Locked to get the electric conversion done. Well worth the money.

I also found an electric starter for the 55. Works very well.
Jan 08, 2014, 07:47 AM
SonicStrikeFPV
that looks really nice
Jan 08, 2014, 08:32 AM
Is the powerplant a 4 stroke configuration?
Jan 08, 2014, 08:42 AM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore
Is the powerplant a 4 stroke configuration?
Yes, the FG84 is a "gas" version of the FA450R3D glow engine. is has the same bore as the FA180 that adds 9cc displacement to offset the power loss of gasoline compared to methanol.

The spark ignition will make this engine much more user friendly than the somewhat tempermental FA450 glow engine. Especially in the during idle & low throttle settings as well as starting & fuel economy. The FA450 was prone to dropping 1 or both of the bottom cylinders when the throttle was pulled back. It is also very thirsty) It should have had spark ignition from the get-go, even W/methanol based glow fuel.

Until recently, a practical CDI system for radials was not available. CH Ignitions helped develop the system that uses a reverse polarity magnet to sequence the firing order. I have one of the prototype systems for my CDI/methanol (glow fuel) converted FA450.

The FG84R3D should be a great power plant for the Corsair as long as proper cooling practices are emplyed.
Last edited by SrTelemaster; Jan 08, 2014 at 10:16 AM.
Jan 08, 2014, 09:29 AM
2 many planes & 2 little time
That is one sweet sounding Corsair. I hope the video camera has a good sound recording system for the maiden take off. Keep us posted and good luck.
Jan 08, 2014, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
I found some information about the FG 84/FA 450 I wanted to ask you about.

Both of these engines have one manufacturing defect and I will explain it to the best of my ability so please excuse any technical misquotes. Apparently Saito designed a baffle into the intake on cylinders #2 and #3. This is a W shaped barrier that was not originally designed into the engine. It was an afterthought to protect hydro lock in the two bottom cylinders from fuel siphon.

It is also one of the reasons for the very heavy 20-1 fuel mixture. The problem with the barrier is you will never get the same fuel mixture between 2, 3, and #1. #1 cylinder will always run hotter and/or leaner.

By removing this barrier along with plugging the crank case drain tube you can cut your oil mix in half. You will now get an even distribution of oil/fuel to each cylinder. The problem is once you remove this baffle you also eliminate the pulse the engine produces to operate the fuel pump so an external fuel pump is required.

So ends the theory. I would really love your input on this SRTelemaster. If this is a realistic method of cleaning up the fuel distribution to each cylinder and cutting oil mix in half it would really support a much easier and accurate needle setting, less plug fowling, and equal temps across the three cylinders.

Your thoughts Sir.
Last edited by Condor060; Jan 09, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Jan 08, 2014, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4
That is one sweet sounding Corsair. I hope the video camera has a good sound recording system for the maiden take off. Keep us posted and good luck.
Thanks Scootr This video won't have annoying music in the background. Just the sound of that sweet radial.
Jan 08, 2014, 04:07 PM
Thread OP
A lot has happened since I made this post fellas. I was introduced to Ray English this morning by Dymond Model Sports and spent the last two hours getting an education on the FG 84 R3 engine.

Ray spent a good portion of his life designing engines for Marlin Indy cars and has quite the reputation in his industry.

He is now 64 years old, an avid RC flyer, and now spends his retired time modifying a long list of RC aircraft engines. Not only is he a really nice guy but has a wealth of knowledge and experience he brings to the table.

You guys are right about the bearings. We can't lower oil mix as these bearings won't lubricate properly without the heavy mix.

Ray is not a fan of Saito engines but he does a few modifications where Saito is lacking. One of which is proper fuel distribution.

Removing the baffles isn't an option either as eventually you will get flooding of the lower cylinders so that option is mute.

He went through the engine manual PDF file with me (which I have attached) to help me understand how the Saito fuel delivery system works and his correction for the existing problem. Apparently proper fuel atomization and delivery is the correction needed.

He asked me to order two parts for his mod and have them sent directly to him. Once the mod is complete he will send them to me and all I have to do is install them.

Currently (to the best of my understanding) part number 32-3-2 is the fuel atomization plate which is to be removed. Part number 17 (cover) and 18 will be modified with his fuel delivery system which will properly atomize the fuel and provide better distribution to each cylinder.

He calls it a fuel atomizing box. I know you guys want a better account of how he does this and we are going to speak later on today. I will get you a much better account of how this is done and post it.

To be quite honest about it, I was going over so many different engine problems I have encountered over the years with him I just lost track of his full explanation.

He is an amazing person and has a lot of great fixes in his bag.
Jan 09, 2014, 04:24 AM
Hi Condor060,

Great looking Corsair! I'm also building this one, but with EVO 7-77 engine. I have a question... can you please detail point number 7 (whistles)?

Thank you in advance.
Cristian

Quick Reply