Fundamental Question Re. RC channels - RC Groups
Jan 07, 2014, 01:38 PM
rc user
Discussion

Fundamental Question Re. RC channels

My question is regarding channel numbers. Is there any universally accepted numbering system?
IE, is the left stick vertical motion always considered channel 1?(or 2,3,4,etc..)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2014, 02:48 PM
rc user
I found info on this website: http://www.customrcmodels.com/Tanks/id92.htm

Is this standard convention or just for this example?
Jan 07, 2014, 03:36 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
No, it depends on the system you are using. On newer programmable radios you can set most channels to be anything you want them to be.

Later;

D.W.
Jan 07, 2014, 03:45 PM
rc user
This is where my confusion comes in. If the numbering is random, what's the point of manufactures specifying orders like TAER, ERTA, AETR and RETA? This means nothing without either specifying the numbering layout or sticking to a standard convention.
Jan 07, 2014, 03:53 PM
The different brands tend to organize the channels differently from each other. But to make things more complicated, it also depends on which mode you use, there is Transmitter Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3 and Mode 4. The different modes organize the channels differently from each other. Now then some smaller receivers such as the four channel versus a 8 channel RX may have the channels organized different from each other too.
Jan 07, 2014, 03:57 PM
SKSS Delaware AMA 1010092
There is no standard, everyone that writes radio software seems to just do what they want.
The new open systems have done away with preset channels and just have inputs (sticks, switches, knobs....) that you can a adjust and output to any channel.

Because there is no right way to do it as every plane is unique, having different needs.
Jan 07, 2014, 04:38 PM
rc user
So, for instance, a 9x with ER9x firmware uses RETA.
So channel 1 is "R", 2 is "E", 3 is "T" and 4 is "A".

But where is channel 1???

Are you telling me channel 1 can be anywhere? Either stick, any direction?

If so, what's the point of even specifying a RETA sequence if the numbering convention is random?
Jan 07, 2014, 04:49 PM
The 9X comes as AETR with the stock FW, Ch #1,2,3,4....only apply to the Receiver designation of Channels(some mfr name each ch. instead). It really matter if the system has fail safe on only one channel as it might end up being Throttle(JR/Spektrum)or aileron(Futaba/Hitec) and also with brick style Rx like the Spektrum ar-6400 serie.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:05 PM
rc user
I'm very sorry, I guess my question is not clear.

ER9X is RETA, the stock 9x firmware is AETR.. understood.
But how do you determine which stick does what function from this information?
Jan 07, 2014, 05:27 PM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
I'm very sorry, I guess my question is not clear.

ER9X is RETA, the stock 9x firmware is AETR.. understood.
But how do you determine which stick does what function from this information?
Mode 2, the normal for the USA, uses the right stick for aileron and elevator. Move the stick right and left for aileron, up and down for elevator. The left stick is used for throttle and rudder. Move the stick right and left for rudder, up and down for throttle.

Later;

D.W.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdooley
So, for instance, a 9x with ER9x firmware uses RETA.
So channel 1 is "R", 2 is "E", 3 is "T" and 4 is "A".

But where is channel 1???

Are you telling me channel 1 can be anywhere? Either stick, any direction?

If so, what's the point of even specifying a RETA sequence if the numbering convention is random?
The 9x with er9x can be set to whatever channel order you want in the Radio Setup/ General Settings. I use TREA and tha comes out to the receiver as Ch1 Thr, CH2 Rud...

JR/Spektrum uses TAER
Futaba uses AETR

But yes er9x have any channel can anywhere and move in any direction...this is the advantage and the curse or a flexible computer radio. If you want canned order go with Spektrum low end. But even there most can be reversed or inverted. And you need that because there is no standard about which way a servo will be oriented on anything or which side you will put the servo arm, or which side of the controlled surface will have the control horn.

The point is you decide what is comfortable for you and use that on most of your planes...but if you pickup a BNF designed for Spektrum its going to TAER and your tx can either b=be configured that way or you can forget about flying it.
Last edited by Dean Church; Jan 07, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:43 PM
rc user
I'm binding to a V911, so I the receiver is integrated into the control board.
I don't know how to check channel assignments.

Anyway, I'm getting the feeling just go by the manufacturing sequence and mode number the sticks will respond how you want.

I guess i'll learn more about this as time goes by.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:46 PM
rc user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDmbThms
The point is you decide what is comfortable for you and use that on most of your planes...but if you pickup a BNF designed for Spektrum its going to TAER and your tx can either b=be configured that way or you can forget about flying it.
Thanks a lot for that.
I have a blade 120SR and planned on flying it with the 9x and orange dsm module.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:48 PM
If the V911 is like the V912 it will be AETR to Ch 1,2,3 and 4
Jan 07, 2014, 05:56 PM

a Rather complicated setup for V911

for Taranis Transmitter...the super son of er9x/tx transmitters.

But it is AETR

It is from here
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewto...it=v911#p64523