Apr 26, 2014, 09:59 PM
Zippa Flippa
Awesome, many thanks asat.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2014, 10:11 PM
No problem, did you decide what you are going to do yet?
Apr 26, 2014, 10:20 PM
Zippa Flippa
Probably build both and see how their performance differs...
Apr 26, 2014, 10:34 PM
Great! Keep us posted, I'm thinking the 24cm may not be as floaty and nimble but it may carve better and be faster... How are you planning to make the fuses?
Apr 28, 2014, 12:07 AM
absolutely maybe
Hey Neb

I will cut you another set to the chord you need, 300mm root and 200mm tip, what's the wingspan?
Apr 28, 2014, 12:16 AM
Slope-a-Dope
The Zulu is a 48" wingspan plane....or 1219mm.
Apr 28, 2014, 12:55 AM
Zippa Flippa
Thanks for that Ian,

I was worried about the narrow chord making it unflyable, but I've since found a couple of other planks with quite narrow chords so I think it should fly fine. So there's no rush, I'll see how this one flies before pestering you for a new set

I've already started building it up, I sank and glued in a carbon rod on the top surface yesterday and will do the underside tonight. Also cut out the fin from Depron. Fuselage is just an EPP block, it's now full of battery and electronics. It doesn't look like a particularly difficult build, so might even get it test flying this weekend.
Apr 28, 2014, 02:13 AM
absolutely maybe
woohoo! geez Neb, you have been busy!

I will start on some new templates this week and get it cut, can't have you resting!

@Steve O, thanks for the wing span, I cut them to 600mm per half wing for the last one so I'll take them up to 610 mm per half wing.
Apr 28, 2014, 11:10 AM
Just wanted to show off my new 1.3# epp tail and hand cut hand drawn Z decal. Hope you like. Only problem was trying to dig out lead I glued into the nose.
Apr 28, 2014, 03:24 PM
Here's a sneak preview of the Zulu Lion / Flames scheme, stay tuned for the actual airbrushed paint job....
Apr 28, 2014, 04:28 PM
Winging it >
I took a long lunch and went to the Bluffs today to test my Zulu for tumble mode. Mission accomplished! I should have some video later today.

I'm really pleased with the results. Tumbles are a bit tricky to initiate but once the rotation starts it rotates very fast.
Apr 28, 2014, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asat
Here's a sneak preview of the Zulu Lion / Flames scheme, stay tuned for the actual airbrushed paint job....
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I took a long lunch and went to the Bluffs today to test my Zulu for tumble mode. Mission accomplished! I should have some video later today.

I'm really pleased with the results. Tumbles are a bit tricky to initiate but once the rotation starts it rotates very fast.
So what's the trick for tumbling?
Apr 28, 2014, 04:49 PM

Tumble

I would assume a "tumble" is end over end

So what's the trick for tumbling?[/QUOTE]
Apr 28, 2014, 07:34 PM
Winging it >
For the tumbling / multiflips I made the following changes to my 48" Zulu:

1) Elevons come up 90 degrees (or more) on high rates.
2) Elevons cut full span; all the way to the center fin.
3) Springs added to the drooperon pushrod so that as the droop hits full down, the servo can keep moving to bring the elevon all the way up.
4) Switch Tx from elevon mode to flaperon mode, mix in elevator to flaps, use flap settings to get correct neutral position.

In elevon mode; on my DX7s I did not have enough subtrim adjustment for proper neutral position.

I just used the regular 13 gram Metal gear servo; nothing special. No gyro used. Normal cg was used.

Thanks to Zach for his help in achieving the tumbling maneuver .

Zulu: Tumble mode ....engaaaged. (1 min 35 sec)
Last edited by leadfeather; Apr 28, 2014 at 07:39 PM.
Apr 28, 2014, 07:46 PM
Zippa Flippa
Oh I see, you have drooperons connected to the bottom surface, and elevons connected to the top surface. I was wondering how you got that pen spring to work. Diabolically clever

Nice tumbling!

Quick Reply