Zulu build - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jan 06, 2014, 08:51 AM
Winging it >
Yep, I go back and forth from Kansas to California every month. I love flying at Long Beach; it is a great place to fly and there is a really great bunch of guys who fly there regularly.

The Zulu; especially with the drooperon option; is an excellent, excellent performer. At Long beach the wind (and lift) is often light. In the light conditions the Zulu can still do loops and rolls at will when other gliders are just trying to stay up. In fact I now prefer light conditions with this plane, there is almost a magical feel to it.

With the thin airfoil it has good penetration too. Zach also did some testing with ballast. When weighted up it still has a very good sink rate but it can speed up very nicely. I've never ballasted mine, even on the strongest days at long beach the penetration of the Zulu is very good.

Zach did an outstanding job designing and developing this ship; two great big thumbs up!

This video is Zach's and my Zulu flying together in pretty light conditions:

Zulu (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 06, 2014 at 08:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 06, 2014, 09:13 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
You can tell from the video that this plane is something special. I really like the way you guys fly in it. Very graceful and it seems to turn on a dime. I was amazed to find out Just how long the wing really is.

I've never flown bluff park but I'd like to go some day soon. Perhaps I'll bring the Zulu with me after the show. I look forward to meeting you and some of the regulars there. Assuming you're not in Kansas!

Thanks so much for your input.

Rob
Jan 06, 2014, 09:39 AM
Winging it >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenperro
You can tell from the video that this plane is something special. I really like the way you guys fly in it. Very graceful and it seems to turn on a dime. I was amazed to find out Just how long the wing really is.

I've never flown bluff park but I'd like to go some day soon. Perhaps I'll bring the Zulu with me after the show. I look forward to meeting you and some of the regulars there. Assuming you're not in Kansas!

Thanks so much for your input.

Rob
Looking forward to flying with you Rob; and also to seeing your spectacular flying artwork in the air!
Jan 06, 2014, 10:07 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
What kind of paint were you using? I haven't had any issues using Krylon Fusion spray paint. I know of others (Justin aka JGAF) that have been using cheap Walmart paint with great success. Here's a pic of a combat wing I did with a fairly heavy coat of Krylon that I then covered with 7mil CP film. I didn't use any spray adhesive and I've beat the heck out of it with no issues. I plan on using some Loctite spray adhesive just for the heck of it on this project. If I have any problems with it delaminating, I will definately mention it here.
TBH I can't remember, it's a while since I have decorated an EPP ship. It wasn't as fancy as Krylon Fusion though (which you can't get in the UK) - it may just have been a bog standard spray on cellulose carpaint. I will be watching with interest as I need to work out how to finish my Le Fishray ultrabat.

Another question... Does the Zulu have a custom aerofoil specifically designed for drooperons, or would any good plank aerofoil benefit from this treatment? I understand Zach will probably not want to disclose the airfoil if he did develop it especially for this project, but just knowing whether it is custom or not would help those of us who might fancy experimenting on another scratchbuilt or commercially available plank. Thanks!
Last edited by MattyB; Jan 06, 2014 at 10:12 AM.
Jan 06, 2014, 12:09 PM
Carpe Cerevisi
MattyB,

As I was writing in response earlier, I sort of thought you might not be able to get Krylon. Fancy it's not. Adherence to plastic it does. I'm not sure if there's anything similar in the UK or not. Sharpies work but are a pain unless you have someone that likes to do it like me. Another option would be to use colored packing tape. You would have to use a spray adhesive with it and I'm not sure what products you have available there either. I plan on building a Flow ultrabat in the near future and will be doing a combination of tape and paint. I hope that helps.

As far as the airfoil goes...I'm the wrong person to ask that question. I've never met him before but from what I've read, Zach is quite the designer and aeronautical engineer. The instructions instruction he sent included some charts and graphs showing elevon deflection at max or min lift coefficient - drooperon angles- blah blah blah. I just want to build it and fly! I am positive he designed the airfoil and the drooperon setups etc. I think the concept has been around for a while but Zach has designed a nice working model. I've only communicated via email with him but he has been very responsive and helpful. I would ask him the the drooperon question in relation to other airfoils. Couldn't hurt...
Jan 06, 2014, 01:56 PM
Closed Account
The drooperons are a very cool addition to this plane. It flew nicely before but now it looks like it really grips the turns well. Nice
Jan 06, 2014, 04:30 PM
Carpe Cerevisi

Tail ant pod

It looks like it'll be a slow day as far as the build goes. I painted the fin in preparation for my daughter to work her magic on. I had to drop the wing and fin off to her this morning as she wasn't able to come over. Here are some pics of the tail and the absolutely beautiful carbon pod Zach sent me to use. Really nice stuff!
Jan 06, 2014, 05:50 PM
Carpe Cerevisi
I gave my daughter carte blanche to design the fin. Here's what she came up with...
Jan 06, 2014, 06:48 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
As I was writing in response earlier, I sort of thought you might not be able to get Krylon. Fancy it's not. Adherence to plastic it does. I'm not sure if there's anything similar in the UK or not. Sharpies work but are a pain unless you have someone that likes to do it like me. Another option would be to use colored packing tape. You would have to use a spray adhesive with it and I'm not sure what products you have available there either. I plan on building a Flow ultrabat in the near future and will be doing a combination of tape and paint. I hope that helps.
Not a fan of tape; it just gets real tatty real quick, especially if you use the thin, light, cheap stuff (as I'd need to on an ultrabat). Plastikote is probably the equivalent of Krylon I guess...

Jan 06, 2014, 06:54 PM
Carpe Cerevisi
If I were you, I'd test it on an old wing bed. If you can find a spray adhesive, I'd apply that as well and see if it sticks. Good luck!
Jan 06, 2014, 07:24 PM
It's time for me to fly
Wow, that's a very nice pod and fin. The few photos/videos I've seen so far were all foam. Definitely curious about this one!

Fantastic artwork! Don't leave us hanging....we need a full bench fly shot
Jan 06, 2014, 07:50 PM
Tail is awesome Rob !!!
Jan 06, 2014, 07:55 PM
It's not going to build itself
Can we get a complete bench fly?
Latest blog entry: Some vids
Jan 06, 2014, 08:05 PM
Winging it >
The pod is another work of art; so nice. Do you know if it is 2.4 friendly?
Jan 06, 2014, 09:02 PM
Carpe Cerevisi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
The pod is another work of art; so nice. Do you know if it is 2.4 friendly?
I will most likely have run the antennae outside pod being CF. I'll use the Hitec receiver Wayne supplied. Zach gave me the choice of either fiberglas or the carbon one. It was a no brainer for me, the carbon one is just plain (or is it plane) cool!

As far as the bench fly goes, nobody wants that more than I however, it will have to wait till I install the servos and cover it with the DI film. Once I get there I can cut the wing and tape the fin in. The bench fly will have to wait till tomorrow night or Wednesday depending on my work schedule. I forgot to show the finished bottom of the wing. Here's the pic.

Quick Reply