Zulu build - Page 11 - RC Groups
Jan 16, 2014, 07:58 AM
Nothing to see here...
That would be too hard....

Info in the first post... That never happens ...

Rubio
Who likes to read
Latest blog entry: The Man they call .... Rubio
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2014, 10:06 PM
Carpe Cerevisi
I emailed Zach of zupair.com recently in preparation of the Zulu nation gathering this Sunday at Bluff park in Long Beach. I asked about the Zulu XL he has on his website (not yet in production) and he said he would bring a kit on Sunday for me to try out.

Evidently it's a regular Zulu with wingtip extensions. It seems like it's quite the floater! Sound like a great addition to my quiver as I can't tell you how many times I've sat at my home slope and just shot the because it was only blowing a couple of miles an hour. I'm only guessing but this might be the plane for just that scenario. It would be fantastic to fly around, loop, and make passes on the slope inverted in wind that most planes can't even fly in!

I've given some thought as to what I could have my daughter do for the design. I have a friend I fly with, Jeff who uses the zebra theme for many of his planes so that's out. I thought about a tiger theme but its not an African cat. I'm leaning towards a giraffe theme. I will let the artist make the final decision though. I am however open to suggestions.

I'm looking forward to Sunday and meeting Zach and the rest of the Long Beach crew!

Rob
Jan 16, 2014, 11:02 PM
It's time for me to fly
Okapi!

The XL sounds awesome for my local conditions too.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: nice ass! ;-)
Jan 16, 2014, 11:33 PM
Carpe Cerevisi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Okapi!

The XL sounds awesome for my local conditions too.
While I like it, it's just a zebra from tha waist down if you think about it
Jan 17, 2014, 12:56 AM
Still playing catch up from the Expo. Will try and get some photos and such up on the site this weekend. Not enough hours in the days right now. I know you are all eager to get some kits on your build tables, and I apologize about the delay on my end!

-Wayne
Jan 17, 2014, 03:51 AM
You know nothing....
zulu shield pictures-a google search brings up lots of examples.
Last edited by Stuart A; Jan 17, 2014 at 03:59 AM.
Jan 17, 2014, 09:10 AM
Zulu XL at the Bluff.

zulu xl (0 min 52 sec)

Ken
Jan 17, 2014, 09:12 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46
zulu shield pictures-a google search brings up lots of examples.
I thought of that on the first one but nothing really popped out at me, that's why the leopard intrigued me. I may go a differen but equally colorful route and try some African butterfly designs. Either that or I could go with a local species the Monarch which I've thought for some time now would make a great slope design. I might have to let my daughter decide this one.

Rob
Jan 17, 2014, 09:43 AM
Smart man he he
Jan 17, 2014, 10:11 AM
Nothing to see here...
The lite Zulu looks interesting.
Might even make me want to fly in those conditions. ( not go surf)

Rubio
Latest blog entry: The Man they call .... Rubio
Jan 17, 2014, 10:27 AM
Rubio, The Zulu is a blast to fly. We were flying Robs in 10 to 12 and it did everything we asked of it, even outside loops !! I can see where it will fly where others wont ! it feels really light when you fly it. Hopefully I ll get mine this weekend
Jan 17, 2014, 10:28 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
Ken,

The video is even more impressive when you see how long the wing is! I'm told it's just a regular Zulu kit with wing extensions. I don't know the span as yet but here's a pic of it against the rail at Bluff Park.

Rubio not surf?! That's funny right there....
Jan 17, 2014, 05:40 PM
Winging it >
That is one holey wing. Lol, it looks like the drooperons and elevons are there to connect the holes and hold them in place.

I think the extensions are 12" each for a total span of about 6'. I'm looking forward to seeing it fly in person. What impresses me about the video of the Zulu XL is that it is not just a floater (meaning great sink rate), but it is still very agile and aerobatic...it looks very fun and very cool!
Last edited by leadfeather; Jan 17, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Jan 17, 2014, 07:45 PM
It's time for me to fly
Is he running drooperons on that XL? By the way it's maneuvering I'd guess yes?
Jan 17, 2014, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
That is one holey wing. .

.....it looks very fun and very cool!
If you look closely you'll see that the tail is also Swissed.....

And agree with you on the flying capabilities, Zach did a heck of a job balancing the efficiency of a high AR wing with maneuverability.

Ken

Quick Reply