Jun 26, 2017, 01:26 PM
I also have one, but not the XL wing span. It is partially built. I'd have to take a look to see how far I got on it, but I know it is not covered, and pretty sure the servos are not mounted yet..
to remove ads between posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
Are these pods carbon, or dyed fiberglass? ust thinking about Rx placement and whether I need to hang the antennae outside, or maybe put the Rx in the wing.

- Jim
That is carbon, so get the antennas outside.
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Mine is also the smaller version.
Jun 26, 2017, 01:43 PM
I make planes I want to fly
Thanks Wayne & Diceman, I like the short span original. I'll PM you
Jul 11, 2017, 11:47 PM
It's time for me to fly

XL slow progress

Light wind from the wrong direction the whole week I was on vacation, so I didn't push to get her finished. Too many other fun things to do anyway.

Got some paint on the top of the wing the last couple nights. Need to come up with something for the underside. Servo pockets are cut. Going with HiTec HS85's that I had on hand.
Jul 12, 2017, 02:06 AM
It's not going to build itself
Looking great so far, Go Jim Go!
Latest blog entry: Some vids
Jul 12, 2017, 03:32 PM
That is sharp looking.
Jul 16, 2017, 07:19 PM
It's time for me to fly
Thanks guys.

I got some color on the B-side today. Masked, painted, then black Sharpie for the borders.
I'm using Krylon Fusion paint. I had good results using it on my Fishray. seems to stick well to EPP, and the lam. film adheres to it well.
Time to iron on the lam. film, but I've got a lot of other distractions this week, may not get to it right away. Plenty of time for the paint to dry
Sep 07, 2017, 10:41 AM
It's time for me to fly
Somewhere in one of the Zulu threads was a description of the right way to iron on the lam. film so you don't screw up the wing twist. As I remember it, if you hold the back half of the wing flat on the table while ironing you should get an accurate wing shape. Does that sound right?

I've been putting this step off in fear of ruining the whole build. I've never covered a wing without having the wing beds to support the wing while ironing.
Thanks.

- Jim
Sep 07, 2017, 11:07 AM
That sounds right, Jim. Also, use medium/lower heat and don't sit on one spot very long, keep it moving. That will also help to keep the foam from warping.
Sep 07, 2017, 11:47 AM
I will suggest not pulling the film while you iron. I start from the middle and work my way out to the edges.

With that said I have not attempted to cover a Zulu. Never crossed my mind to even try it. I do hate trying to cover a plane that already has hinged surfaces, it never works out well.
Sep 07, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
I will suggest not pulling the film while you iron. I start from the middle and work my way out to the edges.

With that said I have not attempted to cover a Zulu. Never crossed my mind to even try it. I do hate trying to cover a plane that already has hinged surfaces, it never works out well.
Never covered a Zulu? Even the EPP one? I think he's building an old EPP Zulu-XL, which AFAIK needs covering to stabilize the EPP, especially in torsion.
Sep 07, 2017, 05:00 PM
It's time for me to fly
All these Zulu threads get confusing don't they. Yes, this is a cut EPP Zulu XL kit....maybe the last of the XL breed still in captivity? It was one of the last few that Wayne had up for sale, a couple years ago. Definitely needs to be covered. Several posts/pics just upstream of this post.

Thanks for the tips. I've put lam. film on a number of EPP & EPO models, but never without having the wing beds under the wings while ironing. Much prefer ironing over EPP; the EPO is very sensitive to overheating.

Going to dive in and get her covered tonight.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Sep 08, 2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling error
Sep 08, 2017, 12:19 PM
oh, yeah.. One of those..

I have a normal sized cut EPP that it in my build pile.
Sep 08, 2017, 08:07 PM
It's time for me to fly
I covered it last night with 3 mil CP film. Came out all right; had some adhesion problems near the thin edge of the elevons ( I think the heat of the iron was radiating through and releasing the film on the opposite side?) but I think it will be OK. The wing stayed nice and straight.
Still need to glue in servos, hook up the linkage, paint and cover the fin, and get her balanced.

I'd post a photo but it looks just like the photos above, only shinier

Quick Reply