Zulu build - RC Groups
Jan 05, 2014, 12:49 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
Build Log

Zulu build

I was asked or I should say I volunteered to build one of the new Zulu high performance slope planes by my friend Wayne at Alofthobbies.com. He said he wanted someone to do a clean build on one to display at the upcoming 2014 AMA Expo in Ontario CA. This is Zach at Zupair's newest design and being one of the first kits, it arrived with a very basic set of materials. Instructions, two very nice and very clean wing cores and several .5mm x 3mm x 48" carbon ribbons. They were nice enough to include some .047 wire for the pushrods and a piece G10 fiberglass to make the control horns.

Wayne said the Zulu was like a lightweight Weasel (48" wingspan) but with some very interesting features. You have an option for a leading edge flap that works in conjunction with the elevons. Looks like it'll be an interesting plane to say the least! You can see a video of it here: http://www.zupair.com/
to remove ads between posts
Jan 05, 2014, 01:14 AM
Rob has brought it over to my place, very interesting ! The maker has done wonders for Rob to make his build come out really nice. I ve seen the paint scheme he's going with, should really be nice when he gets it done. Nice work ( as always ) Rob !! Cant wait to see it fly
Jan 05, 2014, 01:45 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
I went ahead and glued the wings together using Beacon's Foam-Tac. I plan on using it for this entire build. I've been using it for several years now and I've never had a glue joint fail. It works like contact cement or you can just glue and let it set over night. It won't melt foam and the tests I've done with it, the glue joint is stronger than the foam alone. It also makes great hinges. I'll elaborate on that later

After gluing the wings together, I used a straight edge and secured it in place to make my cuts for the spars. I made sure I pushed the pins all the way through the wing as the instructions call for duplicating the spar layout directly over the spars on the opposite side. The pins make it easy to do. I notched the main spar in the center and then folded it to fit the angle of my cut rather then cut it in half.

After fitting and gluing the top spars (Foam-Tac again) I spent a few minutes cutting out my control horns. I cut the templates from the scale drawings and just glued them on the fiberglass (again using Foam-Tac oddly enough) and cut them out with my Dremel. Easy and fast.

Tomorrow, control surfaces.
Jan 05, 2014, 02:11 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
Yes Dick, both Wayne at Aloft Hobbies and Zach at ZupAir have been more than accommodating with Wayne supplying the servos, receiver, battery, switches, servo extensions, DI covering film, and glue, all of which he carries on his website. Zach sent me the kit along with the control rod, fiberglass plate for the control horns and most recently an absolutely beautiful carbon pod for the gear and a tail made from foam sandwiched in fiberglass with graphite reinforcement that is the best of the best. Top of the line stuff! I hope I do the design justice....
Jan 05, 2014, 09:47 AM
It's not going to build itself
I saw Zach flying his at Bluff park one day, amazing what he was doing with it!
Go Rob Go!
Jan 05, 2014, 10:40 AM
Carpe Cerevisi
Thanks Tom. I've only seen video of it flying but it seems super maneuverable. In fact, I had no idea I had a 48" span till my kit arrived. I can't wait to fly it but I doubt I'll be ably to till after the show. Speaking of which, I'd better ger building as the show is in 5 days!
Jan 05, 2014, 11:36 AM
Carpe Cerevisi

Cutting and shaping

Ok. I marked out the control surfaces from the bottom of the wing. I carefully studied the plans for the radius at the tips and used my high tech tool for marking the curve (a bowl)

I secured my straight edge with some pins and made my cuts for the control surfaces making sure to keep the blade straight.
I wanted to have them a close to 90 degrees as possible. I used a hobby/snap knife for this as an Exacto or single edge razor couldn't make deep enough cuts. I've found when making cuts like these that its much better to make the cuts in several passes instead of one. The finished results are much better.
Jan 05, 2014, 11:58 AM
Very nice work Rob get her done so I can see how it fly's
Jan 05, 2014, 03:13 PM
Carpe Cerevisi

Beveling

I must admit that this was the only part of the build I was worried about, beveling EPP. I done it to Depron numerous times but not EPP. I wanted a guide to mark my cuts and considered making one but I found that a #11 surgical blade was just about the perfect angle! I just pushed the blade into the foam with the tip on the top of my cut and then marked how far the blade cut in to the foam on the bottom. and it worked better than I thought. I then secured my straight edge with pins and made my cuts, this time with a single edge razor blade. Again I didn't try to cut it in one pass so I mad my first cut up against the ruler and subsequent cuts to finish the angle. Make sure you don't cut beyond the top of the wing or your hinge will have a gap in it. I went through several blades as EPP dulls them rather quickly. One little trick I use it to draw the blade along my jeans like a barber using a strop and it will straighten the edge out. Saves on blades that way.
Jan 05, 2014, 04:28 PM
It's time for me to fly
The Zulu video turned up in another thread a day or 2 ago....interesting stuff, with the leading edge "drooperon".
Jan 05, 2014, 06:55 PM
Carpe Cerevisi

Hinges

There are several videos out there on hinging with Foam-Tac. That being said, here's how I do it. Once everything is beveled, I just run a very thin bead of Foam-Tac along one edge of the control surface. This is where the saying "less is more" works well. Too much and the joint will be stiff. I then join the two edges briefly and pull them apart, count to ten and put them back together making sure it's properly aligned. Let it dry for an hour or so and you're done! Bear in mind that you'll be covering the model, most likely with CP or DI film and that will reinforce the hinge as well. In fact, if you decide not to cover it at all, the Foam-Tac hinges are more than strong enough.
Jan 05, 2014, 07:01 PM
Already a fascinating and educational build to watch as Rob is moving right along. Watching the "drooperon" action in the video is really neat and the concept is a very creative approach to camber varying. Since the LE goes both directions I wonder if "LEderon" might be a more descriptive name?

Ken
Jan 05, 2014, 07:16 PM
You re getting there Rob, very nice !
Jan 05, 2014, 07:17 PM
Carpe Cerevisi

Color

Being that the model is called a Zulu, I decided to experiment with a leopard print scheme. I bought some Krylon Fusion spray cans, yellow, orange and red and did a practice run on and old combat wing bed. Here's a rough idea of what I am shooting for. My daughter is a gifted artist and will be doing the spots as well as some other graphics so forgive my attempts at drawing the leopard pattern
Jan 05, 2014, 07:29 PM
Very nice ! ( but I ll bet your daughter will do a lot better ) Liking it !