High Sierra Radio Control Club, Carson City, NV - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 01, 2014, 10:21 PM
If it spins, wear it.
I met a few of you guys a few weeks ago at the Carson field. I flew a Twisted Hobby's Beaver a little. Got my AMA and I will try to be out to the field this Saturday for you chili rollout. I still mostly fly the light foam 3D but have some other planes, slope and wings as well as a few micro's. Hope to see you guy's on the third.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2014, 08:41 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Winds are a brewin' for tomorrow, but I'll be there! I'm bringing my winter build that I maiden-ed just a few hours ago. I will also be bringing my planes more suited for windy conditions like my Slow Stick, Bixler and foam profile F-15.

"Fly 'em like you stole 'em"!

Multiplex Cargo Maiden Flight 5 2 14 (0 min 35 sec)
May 04, 2014, 12:15 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Well, I was there for a while. Saw some cool planes fly but decided to leave my foamy's in the car. Just a bit too windy for flying over hard pack and asphalt for my birds. Here is some video that is more my style for the light stuff.. I shot this at Mills on Thursday before the chili roll out. If anyone is interested in hanging out for some park style flight, drop me a PM. I keep it light, slow and safe. I have some micro's but prefer profile 3D.
Slicko 3D Time (2 min 48 sec)
May 15, 2014, 01:23 AM
If it spins, wear it.
You guys have a pretty quiet thread here? Here is a little more Mills video if you liked the last one... I wouldn't know, no comments
My 3D Crack Turbo Beaver (2 min 55 sec)
May 21, 2014, 06:47 PM
T-34 Soar 40 racing this Saturday in Reno. Come on out.
Jun 03, 2014, 10:45 AM
Official Boat Bum
Good morning Carson City! I see you guys are having a scale/fun scale event approaching toward the end of June. Just wanted to make sure it is still on and what you guys have to say. I'd love to attend, I'm sure we would see a lot of nice projects from all over the area. Who is going?

As an aside, I know some of you are into the .46 size racing. I won't ever be - not becasue I don't want to be, but it's just too much to outfit back into glow power for me. But for you in the scene has there been any talk about an EF1 Pylon group forming, or interest in one? (EF1 is electric pylon). The racer that would be easy to standardize with would be something like this:
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1260.html

Looks like a whole lot of fun. The part I like also is it comes in white - Monokote stick on sheets or perhaps some masking take and a touch of spray paint for personalized markings make it easier to have something that looks different and nice. The performance seems really nice.
Jun 04, 2014, 08:19 AM
Wandering IT geek
I have participated in several EF-1 races this year and would definitely come if one were held locally. Three pole is particularly fun!

Here's a sample from one of the better heats in Oakdale this weekend

Oakdale 2 (0 min 48 sec)
Jun 04, 2014, 06:17 PM
Official Boat Bum
Man that looks like a whole heck of a lot of fun. It reminds me of when I used to fly fast slope. Three turn pylon also sounds very interesting.

What specific type of: 1) aircraft, and 2) setup, are guys settled on flying?

Are you actively traveling to fly EF-1? Thank you for posting
Jun 04, 2014, 09:38 PM
Wandering IT geek
Glad it looks like fun - It really is :-)

Most of the guys are flying Shoestrings, Invictus Miss Dara's or Outrageous/Scarlet Screamers. All of these are available as ARF's from various sources. I still have one of the few flying Nemesis kits that Red Jensen sold but she's a racer so I race with her I think the most popular motor is the OS motor but people are using hobby king, brodak, great planes and eflite motors. The rules are in the forum on nmpra.org and they include a list of kits/arfs and equipment which are legal for the class.

I'm traveling because there haven't been any local events :-) If you're interested in knowing when the events are pm me your email address and I'll send it to the guy who runs the west Cassidy coast mailing list.

Chris
Last edited by ronin4740; Jun 04, 2014 at 10:01 PM.
Jun 05, 2014, 03:12 AM
Official Boat Bum
Thanks Chris.. I'm going to do some surfing and looking around. On the surface of it I'm really interested. I looked at the forum and there is some good info on there. I like the Nitroplanes made Miss Dora too. It's too late to get too much into any competition this year but I may get one for sport and practice toward the end of summer. Would be neat to see more EF1 locally... the price of gas and family commitments get's me re considering much regular travel...
Jun 05, 2014, 10:03 AM
Wandering IT geek
EF-1 airplanes sport fly very well. With the right throws they are just about as precise as a pattern ship... You can certainly run larger battery packs to get more flight time in most of the EF-1 sanctioned air frames
Jun 15, 2014, 11:29 AM
Official Boat Bum
Scale Event, June 21st:
Well I know we are a week out yet but looking ahead I am hoping weather will cooperate for next weekend's scale event.

Is anyone in the know on how the event will be run? I will try to attend, though I will bring the kids along so that means a little less room for extra airplanes

Do we have to pre-register? Planning to bring two models - one WWII prop warbird and one Cold War EDF jet if I can fit the second plane in the Yukon with both kids on board.
Jun 19, 2014, 07:08 PM
Official Boat Bum
Anything on this scale event? I have not seen anything other than the schedule on the club website but there are no details, like perhaps it made the master schedule but withered on the vine - no announcement... is it still on? I guess if it's not, still just open flying for the 21st?
Jun 21, 2014, 03:39 PM
Official Boat Bum

Some Photos

Nice day for flying. I flew one round with my Ta-152 but after post flight inspection I found a stress crack on my left main gear area - the wing sheeting needs reenforcing due to a possible old crack or it just may need general beefing up. So I flew the first round and then DNF'ed as I did not want to pull the gear out on the runway if I landed hard. Much easier to repair now as-is.

Anyhow, there was some very nice flying and some nice models present operated by skilled builder-pilots. A nice turnout! Only two electrics, the rest were fuel power.

Thanks Carson City RC Club, as always, for a nice, friendly and well-run event. I'm glad I was able to attend. Here are some photos. Apologies for the blurry pics, my auto focus has been on the fritz and I was having difficulty getting my focus hand to find a sharp image!

Part1
Jun 21, 2014, 03:44 PM
Official Boat Bum
Part2 . Paul, sorry I didn't get your nice landing, I was spotting for you and felt it was bad form to snap away too much while I was supposed to actually be doing something else! For others, I'm sorry if I missed a few pilots and some nice airplanes (like the smaller biplane where I only got a shot) - I was busy attending to my kids at times so my camera work was not without gaps. I was trying to catch everyone on round two since I didn't fly that round but I know I did miss a few. I will pass the full size files onto the President for the newsletter or if any of you fins an image you'd like to have in higher quality. Cheers! Fly well, to all of you.
Last edited by Eddie P; Jun 21, 2014 at 03:50 PM.