Jan 03, 2014, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Enya engines ...who's still using them?

When I was growing up in Australia in the 1980s and early 90s the local hobby shops seemed to only stock two engines... O.S. and Enya.
For some reason Enyas lost popularity? I have an Enya .09 that is reliable as anything. Flick starts easily and just seems to keep on going and going.
I also had the 35 BB CL. The one with all the square venturis in the box. Also a nice engine.
I see they are still making engines and have quite a range.....
Question 1 is..... Is anybody still buying them?
Question 2 is anybody still using them?

Cheers
Simon
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2014, 03:46 PM
Bailed out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks

Cheers
Simon
Simon,

My Enya 60 4C about 35 years old I think.

Cees
Jan 03, 2014, 04:15 PM
I regularly buy Enya 5224s locally, and from RCU as well as this site. Today I drove to El Paso, Tx, from Las Cruces, NM (~62 miles/100km) and scored about $100 of forgotten parts for 5224s from the only "real" hobby shop in 100 miles. The nice thing was, the price was based on the ORIGINAL Enya price stickers -- AND I got a 20% discount off the total. I set mine up for C/L. My first "big" plane was a TopFlite Flite Streak with a clapped-out Fox .29 (I collect them, too) but my first stunter was a Green Box Nobler with an Enya .35, and I still like both setups.
Jan 03, 2014, 05:36 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Given the statement that you see they are still making engines, both questions are quite obsolete, since Enya is not a philantropic Enterprise: they exist to manufacture and sell model engines for a profit, and the fact that they still exist, implicates that the answer to both questions is an inevitable "yes"....

Brgds, Bert
Jan 03, 2014, 06:04 PM
Bailed out
I do have some more Enya's.
One spare for the Orion, new in the box 60 4c, (100 Euro on e-bay)

One 120 4C waiting to be used, second hand.

TF
Jan 03, 2014, 06:08 PM
Master re-kitter

Enyas

I just picked up a 45X that is about 25-30 years old at our swap meet for $20. After a little clean up and freeing up, it runs so good that I think it's going to replace the Super Tigre (40) in my Kaos. Amazingly, the bearings are still fine and there is no damage to the liner or piston - compression is awesome. I haven't had an Enya for a long time - shame on me!
Jim
Jan 03, 2014, 06:27 PM
I like the old small cross flow types. They can swing very large props for their size and start easily by hand. The .09, .15, and .19 IV will all turn 10 inch props over the whole throttle range. I'm sure the .19 IV would do fine on an 11x4. For more power I use smaller props, but for certain scale types these engines give diesel-like performance. The throttles are simple but work fine, and all these engines have an especially nice sound at low throttle.

I also have the old .45 I and 60 II which run great on the test stand, but I have not had them in airplanes yet. They are much less powerful than modern engines of similar displacement, but they are also much lighter.

I also have a modern .40 ssbb that I have not run yet.
Jan 03, 2014, 06:54 PM

And there IS apparently still someone who can SERVICE them, too...

Dear Fellow Enya-owning RC-Groupers:

The PIPE Here...I've got an Enya 60-4C myself, still "barely broken-in" some thirty YEARS later (only some 70 minutes running time!), and a "donated" Enya 46-4C that's in DESPERATE need of a serious rebuild...

...and thankfully, BJ's Engine Repair in CT seems to have a DIRECT line to Enya Metal Products in Japan, so there DOES seem to be someone who can get older Enya mills of all sorts up-&-runnin' again without too much trouble.

W. Bill Jensen WILL be getting my Enya 46-4C sometime later in 2014 for its servicing...but I've got to SAVE for that first!

Just hoping this helps a small bit...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Jan 03, 2014, 08:39 PM
TEAM BOCA
I have some but haven't slid them into the lineup yet. I have an Enya 60 four stroke that I need to get airborne but haven't found just the right plane for it, it seems rather heavy for a 60.
Jan 03, 2014, 08:46 PM
I have a Enya R1.20 four stroke engine in a biplane that I fly from time to time.
I have quite a few other Enya engines, but none are in airplanes at this time.
Jan 03, 2014, 09:18 PM
I think anyone willing to do some research might have a direct link to Mr. Enya? It's been a while, but a 46-4c I had at the time spit a prop and bent a valve. I contacted him via email, and had new springs, retainers and valves within a matter of just a few days?
Jan 03, 2014, 09:43 PM
Well, the Japanese use them.
Jan 03, 2014, 10:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
Given the statement that you see they are still making engines, both questions are quite obsolete, since Enya is not a philantropic Enterprise: they exist to manufacture and sell model engines for a profit, and the fact that they still exist, implicates that the answer to both questions is an inevitable "yes"....

Brgds, Bert
Are you keeping the accounts at Enya?
If not then you have no idea how the operation is bieng funded... it may be run at a loss or breaking even or bieng kept alive through sentiment.
The Dyna jet was made by dyna fog for 40 years.....yet it wasnt advertised or a big seller. They kept making them as a tribute to the product that launched the company.
Enya may have other business interests.....
Anyhow, thanks for the flame.
Im just trying to find out why they dropped from popularity when they appeared to be a good quality engine.
As most replies seem to indicate, people own old enyas.
The cost seems quite high when you consider you have to purchase the muffler seperately.
I have not seen a new Enya at our flying field in the last 15 years since I joined!
Perhaps I should rename the thread "Enya engines... whos still BUYING new ones?"
Cheers
Simon
Last edited by Snorks; Jan 03, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Jan 04, 2014, 12:17 AM
My current engine for CL stunt is the new Enya 61CXLRS (rear exhaust) which is brilliant (and Bruce, I'm Australian ). Actually I bought it from Randy Smith in America because Enya had sold out of them. They're listed as being ABN but the instruction sheet shows them to be a type of Nikasil plating similar to what's used in Formula 1, Ferrari, Lambos etc. Another first for Enya with model engine construction.

I've also fairly recently, well a couple of years ago, bought direct from Enya their re-issue of the Enya 60-IIIB where the only change from the original was to modify the crankcase to use a bolt on muffler instead of the strap on type.

I have an Enya 60X-III which has massive power and appears as though it'll last forever with its AAC construction. Also a first for mass produced engines. My son has the 80X which is a bored out and ringed version of the 60X.

Back in the early 70's when I graduated from using a Merco 35 I bought an Enya 45 model 6001 (for CL stunt) and it was at least the equal of the old ST 45 for that purpose. I bought a 45 model 6002 when they came out but it wasn't as suitable for my purposes because it'd been retimed more for RC flying so it's only had an hour or so of running. I've also got a 29BB and a couple of 35's but I've never used them. Never had any of the smaller Enyas though.

Enya used to be widely available in Australia but now they're only available direct from Enya (or the few enthusiasts like Randy in America). I suspect the problem is that the major importers in the biggest market are only interested in pushing one particular brand of Japanese engines.
Jan 04, 2014, 01:35 AM
Diesel Danny
Quote:
When I was growing up in Australia in the 1980s and early 90s the local hobby shops seemed to only stock two engines... O.S. and Enya.
For some reason Enyas lost popularity? I have an Enya .09 that is reliable as anything. Flick starts easily and just seems to keep on going and going.
I also had the 35 BB CL. The one with all the square venturis in the box. Also a nice engine.

Cheers
Simon
G'day Simon. I am also in Oz. Enya's - I love them. Recent (last 5 years) new acquisitions include an SS 25 (diesel), CX 11 Ultra (diesel) and the lovely Enya 41 CX 4 stroke diesel. OK I am a diesel nut but Enya cater to a 'Niche' market in some cases but that is good marketing strategy when the world is flooded with cheap Chinese engines. The newly announced Enya 2.5 diesel re-issue will sell more than they imagined, so they had to make it a lottery to buy one.

As for using them, in r/c Texaco, a 4-stroke has a bonus, a diesel has a bonus. A 4-stroke diesel that runs on the smell of an oily rag and can swing a 14" prop is quite competitive imho. The .41 D is no longer in production but the new .35 looks nice.

A lot of the negative crap about Enya's in Oz came from a certain O.S. distributor who wanted market share.

* Danny *

Quick Reply