This thread is privately moderated by voidmix, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 02, 2014, 08:49 PM
Foam Wrecker
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Durafly F4U Corsair

To usher in 2014 I figured I'd start with a new mini-blog on my recent purchase of a Durafly F4U Corsair. Here goes:

From the very beginning of checking into this model I was impressed with the features and price. Around $150 USD from HobbyKing's USA warehouse and it includes retracts, flaps, lights, 4-blade prop, panel lines, missiles, drop tanks... etc. That's good value for the $$$.

My first impression after opening the box is that this is a very nicely detailed model made with some really nice, dense foam. The panel lines and smoothness of this model is second to none. The scale 4-bladed prop is a thing of beauty.

Assembly was quick, straightforward and simple though the manual is poorly written. I hear that Durafly is working on improving things on that front so we'll see what the future holds. I found no issues with part fitment, everything lined up straight and true. I hooked all the servos and retracts to a tester to confirm movement and direction and all was correct.

After assembly and testing she was ready for her maiden flight. Having experience with the larger FMS 1400mm Corsair I was ready for the strong pull to the left on takeoff from the torque. A little right rudder and she tracked nice and straight. I needed a bit more power to get off the ground and into the air smoothly so my first attempt was a bit stumbly but she got into the air without issue.

Once in the air I had to add a few clicks of trim here and there but for the most part she tracked straight and true. I retracted the undercarriage and admired how beautiful this model looks in the air. A few gentle turns exhibited no bad habits so I got a bit more aggressive and pulled a few aerobatic moves. Loops, rolls... all good! I took her up high to check out her stall characteristics and she behaved as predicted with the left wing dropping first. I had read about that from other pilots so it wasn't surprising. Other than that she displayed no other unruly traits.

Well, after a few minutes there was nothing left to do but to bring her in for a landing. I brought her in on a nice long and low approach while dropping the throttle to about 20%. I set up a mix to bring the flaps halfway down when the gear was deployed and that enabled me to fly her to the ground and settle her right in. I was a bit surprised at how well I was able to land her the first time around. I'm really just a novice pilot and this bird made me look good. I appreciate that!

So all in all my impressions of the Durafly F4U Corsair are all very positive. Great looks, solid build quality along with stable, predictable and immensely enjoyable flight characteristics make this one a winner! The abundant availability of spare parts is also a bonus. I'm sure at some point I'll ding something up and knowing that I can get a part (or two) in short order is a real confidence builder.

Check her out here:

Durafly F4U Corsair
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2014, 09:24 PM
She's a great plane. Love mine. Word of advise: get yourself a bunch of spare props...or if you break a blade, turn the prop into a 2 blade prop by breaking off the third one. Flies even better on 2 blades.
Latest blog entry: 3D Printing Services
Jan 04, 2014, 01:54 PM
Foam Wrecker
Thread OP
I have spare props for DAYS but thanks for the advice. You're in Burbank? Where do you fly there? I'm out there for work often... would love to stop by and watch some flights.
Feb 06, 2014, 01:12 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
How does it handle a grass runway. short grass most of the time.
Mar 31, 2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks Dad!

Excellent

Great mini review of the HKCorsair

Paul

Quick Reply