Jan 02, 2014, 12:24 AM
The flying snake
Thread OP
Discussion

Denver, Colorado Multirotor dji,blade,and others.

Thought I'd start a Denver thread for us multi-rotor pilots, so we can setup local stuff and general info sharing.
Last edited by Grandpa strap; Mar 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2014, 12:29 AM
How about if people chime in and say where they are located and if they are members of any clubs.

Maybe we can pick a park or RC field that is convenient.

I live in Broomfield and am a member of Longmont Aircraft Modelers Association. The field is out by Dacono.

There is a great park in Broomfield to fly at (Broomfield Commons at 13th & Sheridan).

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...d=0CJQBEPwSMAs
Jan 02, 2014, 12:35 AM
The flying snake
Thread OP
I'm in thornton and we fly at hwy7 and havana alot of the time. Not a member since I dont know if I want to spend the 50 bucks for AMA plus field fees. I'm not a play by the rules kinda dude. I don/t like stuffy lame DB rc people. I am more the laid back fly my planes. shoot the s%^t kinda dude
Jan 02, 2014, 01:22 AM
Hey, don't forget about us Colorado Springs folks! Lots of us down here, we're slowing getting together as we stumble on each other.

My fleet:

Trex 700 DFC- highly modified
Trex 600 EFL Pro- moderately modified, night flight equipped.
Blade 450x- highly modified
Blade 350QX- equipped with night lights and fully FPV
Lots of other smaller gear
Jan 02, 2014, 01:31 AM
The flying snake
Thread OP
welcome rjbishop!
my fleet is as follows
Blade 350QX (one has fpv/leds for night flight. and one is bone stock for aerobatics)
1SQ-vcam
Axe 100-CP
FW-190
Supersportster brushless
Gamma 370
popwing 900mm
popwing600mm
GWS slowstick brushless
Jan 02, 2014, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBishop View Post
Hey, don't forget about us Colorado Springs folks! Lots of us down here, we're slowing getting together as we stumble on each other.

My fleet:

Trex 700 DFC- highly modified
Trex 600 EFL Pro- moderately modified, night flight equipped.
Blade 450x- highly modified
Blade 350QX- equipped with night lights and fully FPV
Lots of other smaller gear
I have also equipped my 350 with full FPV.

I would be interested in learning about your setup. How much flight time do you get on your 350 when carrying FPV.

I ordered some Skyzone goggles last week. They are currently in OH I hope they arrive on Friday. However, my 350 is currently down because of a motor failure.
Jan 02, 2014, 02:21 AM
The flying snake
Thread OP
I have a spare motor I can loan you!
Jan 02, 2014, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSlots View Post
I have also equipped my 350 with full FPV.

I would be interested in learning about your setup. How much flight time do you get on your 350 when carrying FPV.

I ordered some Skyzone goggles last week. They are currently in OH I hope they arrive on Friday. However, my 350 is currently down because of a motor failure.
I get 7-7.5 minutes running FPV, and that's pretty mild flying. I use Skyzone goggles, 600mW 32ch TX from Foxtech (which as it turns out is nowhere near 600mW), and Sony 700TVL. Turns out my 2.4g flight control link gives out at 400 yards, so be careful!
Jan 02, 2014, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa strap View Post
welcome rjbishop!
my fleet is as follows
Blade 350QX (one has fpv/leds for night flight. and one is bone stock for aerobatics)
Wow, TWO of 'em eh? What FPV setup you running?
Jan 02, 2014, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa strap View Post
I have a spare motor I can loan you!
I may take you up on that!!

I will call HH tomorrow to see what they say and when they expect to ship me the motor and hopefully a frame.

How did you come across a spare motor?
Jan 02, 2014, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJBishop View Post
I get 7-7.5 minutes running FPV, and that's pretty mild flying. I use Skyzone goggles, 600mW 32ch TX from Foxtech (which as it turns out is nowhere near 600mW), and Sony 700TVL. Turns out my 2.4g flight control link gives out at 400 yards, so be careful!
Are you doing any OSD?

I am using RCLogger gear. I currently don't have any goggles just a small screen which I don't find that useful.

My Skyzone goggles should arrive soon.

So when your flight control link gives out are you in Safe Mode so the 350 just returns home?
Jan 02, 2014, 03:09 AM
No OSD- I'm actually designing/coding up an custom OSD that taps into the 350QX GPS & Pressure sensor data streams- it will have an OLED display so guys that don't fly FPV can still see their GPS status directly.

You'll LOVE the goggles.. they really work well. What VTX are you going to use, and which antennas?

I had one flight controller complete lockout at about 400 yards... never got control back. Yes, it does RTH, but SLOWWWW. It took the better part of 4 minutes for it to fly that 400 yards home and land. I've seen hundreds of frame drops (the DX8 displays RX frame drops and holds via the minimal telemetry already in the 350QX). I was flying a couple days ago at Memorial Park, and not only did I get lots of frame drops at certain distance, but I had several Holds. In those cases I was able to get the signal back after a couple seconds and resume flying.
Jan 02, 2014, 09:09 AM
FAA Exemption # 15387

Intro

Greetings fellow pilots:
MY son got a 350 and of course I have to keep up with him so I got one a week ago and have sore eyes from reading the thread on the 350, but I've learned a lot. We both fly powered gliders (Easy Star) and look to migrate into FPV. We have been doing some vid work with 808 #16 keychain vid camera and think the 350QX will give us new opportunities.

We fly at a local school with open land all around and off county line rd on the douglas/arapahoe border - east of aurora resv. I like the idea of a get-together as I won't contribute much but a great way to learn.

Cheers
Last edited by keithbennett; Jan 02, 2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Jan 02, 2014, 10:05 AM
Addicted
Hi, guys. My name is Nick and I'm down in Parker (Lone Tree) at Lincoln and Peoria (Lincoln and a bit east of I-25).

For multis I only have two:

A stock 350QX
Homemade tri-copter with KK2.0/1.6++

Complete airplanes:

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser 32" profile
RC Factory Sbach 48" profile

So it looks like we have:

Parker
Aurora
Thornton
Springs
Broomfield

I am with Grandpa, I don't really care to fly at an organized/AMA field. I'd rather go to a park or school. Not sure where, though. I fly at City Park's baseball fields.

I'm looking to get into FPV on my 350 so I'd love it if anyone wants to let me fly an intro FPV flight.
Jan 02, 2014, 10:11 AM
Addicted
My buddy with a 350 told me of a fun game for multirotor pilots. He did it at Chatfield a few weeks ago but I couldn't make it.

Get as many RTH-capable multis as you can. Line them up. Everyone puts a 1 dollar bill under their ship on the ground under a rock. Everyone takes off, separated by 60 seconds and flies for a certain amount of time, I don't know, 5 minutes maybe. Then, one by one, in the order they took off, hit RTH. Whoever lands closest to their one dollar bill collects the pool

Quick Reply