DJI Phantom 2 - H3-2D In Depth Review - Mike Mas - RC Groups
Jan 01, 2014, 10:14 PM
Discussion

DJI Phantom 2 - H3-2D In Depth Review - Mike Mas

Hey guys - I wanted to share with the RC Group users my latest detailed 22 page review on the new Phantom 2 to include Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal and mounting the iOSD and transmitter. These little Phantom's can be a bit confusing and hopefully this will help answer some questions.

Enjoy - Mike Mas

Please click on the top of the page to expand the images for easy reading!

to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2014, 12:14 AM
Awesome detailed write up.
Jan 02, 2014, 12:45 AM
VisRev
Fantastic review Mike.

We should sticky this thread for the new people just starting out.

I enjoyed reading it.

Well done!
Jan 02, 2014, 04:17 AM
DJI flagship Moltirotor
very cool guy.
Jan 02, 2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys!

Mike
Jan 09, 2014, 06:30 AM

Phantom 2 versus Phantom 2 Vision

I was seriously thinking about getting a Phantom 2 Vision but have been put off a bit by the poor reviews of its camera. I am now thinking about a Phantom 2 with the H3-2D gimbal and putting a GoPro Hero on it.

If I also get the iOSD mini and the AVL-58 downlink system, am I missing out on anything the Phantom 2 Vision has? I like the idea of getting a live feed on my iPhone or iPad rather than a monitor which the Vision seems to be able to do. Can the Phantom 2 do that too?

Finally. the DJI website says for the Phantom 2 Vision "Exceed the control range of the Remote Controller and you’ll trigger the ‘Return-to-Home’ feature which will automatically fly the Phantom 2 Vision back and safely land at its takeoff point", but for the Phantom 2 it says "If the Phantom 2 and its controller disconnects during flight, the system’s failsafe protection will come to the rescue and if the signal is good enough, the Phantom 2 will return to home and land automatically"

The "...if the signal is good enough..." bit about the Phantom 2 worries me a bit. They don't say that about the Vision. Do they both use exactly the same Return-to-home system or are they a bit different?
Jan 19, 2014, 07:04 PM
Excellent writeup. Thanks for that.
Dominic
Jan 21, 2014, 10:52 PM
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Where is the GOPRO protection bar???? : like this it may fall out the gimbal in some pics during flight....

Good review!

W
Jan 22, 2014, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouterjansen60
Where is the GOPRO protection bar???? : like this it may fall out the gimbal in some pics during flight....

Good review!

W
Never used the hold down - can't see fumbling with those goofy screws and a driver every time i take the camera off - I just use a 62 rubber band to hold the camera. Another advantage is should you hit the ground the camera slings off and dose not get damaged.

Thanks
Mar 08, 2014, 06:48 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Mike, you've done an excellent job- very well written and concise!
Mar 08, 2014, 09:50 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the reply!

Mike
Mar 08, 2014, 10:36 PM
When I started with rc helis back in 97 I was a big fan of Mike Mas in Rotory Modeler magazine. Bought my first TSK (Mystar 46) after reading a Mas review. Great review on the Pahntom 2.
Mar 09, 2014, 09:31 AM
Oh wow TSK - I remember them well - these are a bit different - you had to fly those TSK to keep them in the air!

thanks for the reply
Mar 09, 2014, 06:07 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
TSK, back in the days of the famous Kyosho Concept 30, Schluter & Kalt Whisper- wayyy back!
Mar 09, 2014, 07:02 PM
Yep, I wonder how many experts on here remember the Concept EP and the JR Whisper!!! lol