This thread is privately moderated by CarreraGTSCS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 01, 2014, 02:36 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Thread OP
Discussion

WW1 Modelling and Discussion Repository

Since there is no dedicated forum on RCG devoted strictly to WW1 models and aviation I've decided to use my blog as the repository for all things WWI related. Feel free to post in this blog topic any of your WW1 models regardless of power source, photos, video clips, questions, etc. We need a single place here that we can discuss WW1 modelling and aviation without regard to whether of not the model is powered by batteries or by glo/gas or by size. From micros to giants are welcome. It's not about the propulsion system after all, it's about the aircraft. Let's agree now that all WW1 models qualify to be posted here whether scratch, kit or ARF. There have been some very impressive customizations of ARF done here and they deserve some respect.

Here's my first contribution. It is definitely worth watching. All of this footage was new to me.

WW1: Richthofen Film (1919) (40 min 48 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2014, 04:21 PM
Round engines & two wings...
Thanks for hosting! I will be dropping in often! ~ Brad
Jan 01, 2014, 07:38 PM
Closed Account
Me two!
Jan 01, 2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks!
Jan 04, 2014, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Every year at the NEAT Fair my club, the Bergen County Silent Flyers or BCSF< hosts the daily Dawn Patrol on the Park Flyer flight line. There are always nice prizes (which I never win) and the turnout grows evey year. Here are some of the micros that turned out.

We are almost always blessed with dead calm conditions in the morning. The still and the mists that hang in the air make it a very special time of day
Jan 05, 2014, 08:37 PM
Closed Account
Looks good CarraraGTSCS, have you figured out the power system yet?
Jan 10, 2014, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Here's todays contribution. It's a link to my old flickr photo file with pics from Rhinbeck and a bunch of pics of the Fokker DVIII's that I collected to see if the wings really were streaked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_k_...th/1353886744/
Jan 13, 2014, 12:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
Looks good CarraraGTSCS, have you figured out the power system yet?
I missed this one. I'm going either 8s or 10s with an SK3 6374 168kv. I'm going low kv so I can swing a larger diameter prop. The motor and esc are to arrive today. I've been reading that the SK3 motors are direct Hacker clones. Fingers crossed.
Jan 13, 2014, 01:03 PM
Thread OP
Today's contribution is a link to Hip Pocket Aeronautics. Yes, it's a small scale site but if you register it gives you access to the plans section where there are thousands of plans and a lot of the old red cover Profile Publications. You can download and print the plans and book. Some of the plans are pretty fantastic. There are factory technical drawings there too. http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/index.php

Here's a taste.
Jan 14, 2014, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
Today's contribution:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/featu...erviewdw_1.htm
Jan 17, 2014, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Happy Friday! Here's a very cool time lapse video of the single-handed build of a Robert Baslee / Aerodrome Aircraft Sopwith Pup. Robert designed and built the Nieuports used in the movie "Flyboys".

Construction of a Sopwith Pup from Airdrome Aeroplanes (13 min 53 sec)
Jan 17, 2014, 10:00 PM
That was really neat. Thanks for sharing
Jan 17, 2014, 11:10 PM
Thread OP
You're welcome. It's like building a big model.
Jan 19, 2014, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
This is the first of today's contribution:
D-0553 How to Fly a WWI Rotary Motor Fighter Sopwith Pup (7 min 0 sec)

Quick Reply