This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 31, 2013, 01:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

F-102 Delta Dagger

Well, my son got his learners permit so I had him drive down to the Evergreen Aviation museum for some practice, got in some flight time on my dart at the RC field there and took some photos of the Dart they have. Right next to it is a dagger, and while I like the dart a bit better, I figured I could modify the airframe slightly of the dart, keep the same wing/CG and create a dagger as well. I've got the plans and parts done and cut out, it took a bit more work, and some extra pieces. The canopy is moved back and the nose portion is relatively longer. The tail and speed brake shape are different. I created some wing strake pieces and the tail strakes as well.

For the rear engine humps(my name) they lined up perfectly with where I wanted my motor mount so they posed a bit of a problem. I finally wound up laminating two 6mm pieces with just the outer ones having the extensions and they sort of surround the microjet motor.

Plans are on the plans page.

12.5 oz rtf with the same components I used on the six.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 02, 2015 at 10:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 01, 2014, 09:23 PM
Thread OP

Finished!

Here she is ready to go along with a family photo of the Convair Deltas..

Both the six and the 102 needed no additional nose weight. On the plans the inner wing fences are a bit too long, just trim them to the right lengths before you glue them in place.

I think it came out looking nicely, the panel lines really stand out well.

Servos are installed, just waiting for the ESC and receiver to show up so I can mount them. CG looks spot on with no added weight, and ready to fly weight should be 12.5 oz, a bit more than the dart due to the extra tail foam and wing fences..

Frank
Jan 03, 2014, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Maiden today went great. It was really windy, but it handled it just fine. No bad habbits. I was a bit worried about lateral stability due to the more forward tail. I did a quick profile cutout of depron and did the same for my Dart and compared the balance point with the flight CG, they both had their lateral CP close to the flight CG but about 1/2" behind it, so it was ok. The dagger is slightly less laterally stable with power off and in an inverted stall, it did go into a flat inverted spin, I think due the heavy cross wind, but came out right away with some application of power. Overall the Dart and Dagger both fly great and are fun windy day planes.

Quick Reply