Jan 20, 2014, 10:55 PM
flyingnut29
Hey this looks like a fun site. I want to subscribe but I can't figure out how yet. Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2014, 01:17 PM
Bob top right corner click on thread tools and on the drop down menu click on subscribe to thread.
Thom
Also Carson City has a blog at High Sierra Radio Control Club, Carson City, NV
Last edited by OldGuyRC; Jan 22, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Jan 25, 2014, 08:48 PM
flyingnut29

what engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wesley View Post
Gents,

I just got word that the new racing airframe for 2014 is the Soar 40 from Hobby King. I just ordered two, and even though I'm all electric I'm going to suck it up and fly a slimer glow plane just for the enjoyment of competition.

Purchasing Tip, Save Some Money!:. Go to the Soar 40 page on Hobbyking.com and just hang out there for 15 minutes or so. Eventually a little screen will pop up with a one time special offer. Normally $66 at the USA warehouse, I got mine for $61 once the little offer popped up!

-Joshua
Hi, Bob Barnett here, may I ask you Joshua, what engine and prop and any other special/unique rules for the Soar racing? Thanks
Jan 26, 2014, 07:49 AM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut29 View Post
Hi, Bob Barnett here, may I ask you Joshua, what engine and prop and any other special/unique rules for the Soar racing? Thanks
Hi Bob! The rules are written for the World Models T-34. I've been following them as tightly as I can as 98% of the rules would apply to any airframe used. The engine is the O.S. .46AX. The original AX is no longer in production, and AXII has superseded it. I've read that there is no power increase between the original AX and the AXII, so I would hope that the race committee accepts the newer version. I found my original AX used/new on eBay. Prop is a 9.5x6 APC. The only rule they may have to change is he minimum weight as the Soar is a bigger aircraft than the T-34. Here are the rules:

http://www.renorcclub.org/schedule/t34racingrules.html

-Joshua
Jan 29, 2014, 10:33 AM
flyingnut29

Soar 40 rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wesley View Post
Hi Bob! The rules are written for the World Models T-34. I've been following them as tightly as I can as 98% of the rules would apply to any airframe used. The engine is the O.S. .46AX. The original AX is no longer in production, and AXII has superseded it. I've read that there is no power increase between the original AX and the AXII, so I would hope that the race committee accepts the newer version. I found my original AX used/new on eBay. Prop is a 9.5x6 APC. The only rule they may have to change is he minimum weight as the Soar is a bigger aircraft than the T-34. Here are the rules:

http://www.renorcclub.org/schedule/t34racingrules.html

-Joshua
Hey thanks for the reply. Right after I posted this question; Sunday Don Lee was at the field and showed me his Soar 40 and we even did a comparison flight along with my T-34. The speeds are identical. Don said the two models will be raced together. Looks like a good plan to me. I can't wait to buy one and get it in the air. Bob

And thanks to Thom too.
Feb 16, 2014, 11:35 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!

Soar 40

I've got my Soar 40 club racer all ready to go. Maiden tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Anyone know when the first race is?
Last edited by F7X; Jul 05, 2014 at 08:59 AM.
Feb 17, 2014, 11:15 AM
March 29th. First race at 9:30 AM, signups start at 8 AM with lunch before the final races.
I'm usually a pylon judge so missed cuts start at 10 dollars, cash, check or money orders excepted.
Also check on getting a race number for the plane.
Thom
Feb 19, 2014, 01:57 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Thanks Thom. How do I go about picking a number? Is 11 or 13 taken?
Feb 19, 2014, 02:30 PM
Josh I just sent you a PM with info that might help you get your number.
Mar 03, 2014, 08:41 PM
Joshua, very nice covering on your Soar 40. That looks fast just sitting there.
Mar 03, 2014, 09:21 PM
Joshua, I would like to come by your place before I send out the next newsletter so I can take a picture of your racer. I'm going to put it up with a T-34 to draw interest for this years racing.
Let me know when would be good for you.
Thom
Mar 03, 2014, 10:44 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by renosportflyer View Post
Joshua, very nice covering on your Soar 40. That looks fast just sitting there.
Thank you very much. Its surprisingly easy to see in the air. One of the most manerly aircraft I've ever flown too.
Mar 03, 2014, 11:02 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuyRC View Post
Joshua, I would like to come by your place before I send out the next newsletter so I can take a picture of your racer. I'm going to put it up with a T-34 to draw interest for this years racing.
Let me know when would be good for you.
Thom
Thom,

That would be great. I should be available some time this weekend, I'll let you know.

Dad flew his scratch build 1/4 scale Wittman Tailwind. Its a great flying aircraft. Very easy on the ground, neutral stabalilty in the air, and a very gentle stall.
Mar 06, 2014, 04:53 PM
Official Boat Bum
Beautiful example of a Tailwind! Please tell your dad I am truly impressed I've got a few friends that have built and owned a few (the full size ones). Is is a W8 or W10? What airfoil(s) did you use, washout, etc?

If you want to go flying drop me a PM, I plan to do a little flying this month when the weather is nice. Probably try to get a few EDF/Jet guys together.
Mar 15, 2014, 09:10 PM
F7X
F7X
Faster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Beautiful example of a Tailwind! Please tell your dad I am truly impressed I've got a few friends that have built and owned a few (the full size ones). Is is a W8 or W10? What airfoil(s) did you use, washout, etc?

If you want to go flying drop me a PM, I plan to do a little flying this month when the weather is nice. Probably try to get a few EDF/Jet guys together.
Eddie,

The Tailwind is a W10. I'm not sure on the airfoil, its probably a semi-semtrical that he drew up on his own. He doesn't use airfoil software, he just sketches it out himself. I dont think there is any washout, being an almost hershey bar it naturally stalls inboard first. He loves the way it flies so much, that he now prefers it over his 1/4 scale Harmon Rocket!

Thanks for the invite to fly, its been a little spontaneous and just up at RRCC field lately. With the kids, I never know when I'm going to have a chance. We'll have to meet up at Tiger or Carson some time, especially when my Dad can be there.

-Joshua