Sep 06, 2019, 09:39 AM

gear mod

Anyone try the A4 trailing link gear on the F 86
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2019, 09:33 PM
Work hard, play hard
Alb, just curious, why are you looking to change gear? For looks? I think that the stock gear works very well on the F-86.
Sep 07, 2019, 05:08 AM
The front gear is a trailing link, I wanted to match it, also I think that type of gear works great on rough grass.

Best Regards

Steve
Sep 10, 2019, 07:13 AM
Adelaide South Australia
After many years flying my F86 with a P20, I have upgraded the engine to the new Xicoy X45. Engine is lighter and smaller compared to the P20, but develops twice the thrust, about 11lbs. I was able to move the engine further forward and the CG back to 200mm, result being that I could remove half of the nose lead! Weight is now down to 2.9kgs with a 4.8kg thrust engine, so should go pretty well!!
Sep 10, 2019, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alb1661
Anyone try the A4 trailing link gear on the F 86
IIRC, I used the F5 trailing links. Requires making a metal extension though as they are too short (again, IIRC.) A longer pin and a bunch of washers might work if you can't machine new ones. They work great off bumpy grass strips. I also had them on my Su-35.
Sep 10, 2019, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie1au
After many years flying my F86 with a P20, I have upgraded the engine to the new Xicoy X45. Engine is lighter and smaller compared to the P20, but develops twice the thrust, about 11lbs. I was able to move the engine further forward and the CG back to 200mm, result being that I could remove half of the nose lead! Weight is now down to 2.9kgs with a 4.8kg thrust engine, so should go pretty well!!
Will you be posting a video of it in flight...... Id like to see that..
Sep 10, 2019, 05:29 PM
Adelaide South Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier
Will you be posting a video of it in flight...... Id like to see that..
I haven't filmed it flying with the new X45, but this video was taken years ago when I first flew it with a JetCat P20. I'm hoping to have a new video soon.

Freewing F86 Sabre with P20 Turbine (6 min 45 sec)
Sep 13, 2019, 07:07 AM
I'm having some problems with landing my F86 cleanly. It had been upgraded when I got it with trailing link suspension struts off a Freewing Super Scorpion (I think). I'm finding that even with a greaser of a landing it bounces, a small bounce to start with then a series of ever increasing bounces making the whole landing process look very untidy. It seems to be worse the more flap deployment angle I use. I'm wondering if the trailing links are actually contributing to the bunny hops .
Maybe the answer is to use no flaps at all on landing to decrease lift once I have touched down. I have over 12 other edfs and none of them do this. Any advice would be appreciated
Sep 13, 2019, 01:50 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdzfan
I'm having some problems with landing my F86 cleanly. It had been upgraded when I got it with trailing link suspension struts off a Freewing Super Scorpion (I think). I'm finding that even with a greaser of a landing it bounces, a small bounce to start with then a series of ever increasing bounces making the whole landing process look very untidy. It seems to be worse the more flap deployment angle I use. I'm wondering if the trailing links are actually contributing to the bunny hops .
Maybe the answer is to use no flaps at all on landing to decrease lift once I have touched down. I have over 12 other edfs and none of them do this. Any advice would be appreciated
I often land my stock F-86 (well engine not stock but all else is) on the main gear (with full flaps) and leave nose gear in the air until the last possible moment, just for fun. For you, it might be the way to eliminate or reduce the rebound effect???
Sep 14, 2019, 10:17 AM
Clinger, MAGA
I had the bounce, bounce, BOUNCE, problem too. Turns out what I was missing was full elevator control. Once I could hold the nose up longer before touchdown made all the difference. Now it greases in just like you'd expect. I was worried at firsts with elevator sensitivity but found no problem with this plane, so fly on full rates all the time.
Sep 14, 2019, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
I had the bounce, bounce, BOUNCE, problem too. Turns out what I was missing was full elevator control. Once I could hold the nose up longer before touchdown made all the difference. Now it greases in just like you'd expect. I was worried at firsts with elevator sensitivity but found no problem with this plane, so fly on full rates all the time.
Thanks for the helpful advice guys. I had 2 more flights this morning and both landings went well. This time I only went for half flaps and actually flew it onto the deck nose high ( as suggested) with partial power applied. It didn't bounce . I think the problem previously was that I was coming in to touch down almost dead stick and my sink rate was too high causing it to fully compress the suspension springs which then rebounded causing the series of bounces. Common sense really when you think about it. I'm really loving the sound and power of the V2 Mirage 9 bladed fan unit. It sounds every bit as good as my best 12 blade jets .
Last edited by warbirdzfan; Sep 14, 2019 at 10:50 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:13 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Great to hear
Sep 17, 2019, 01:41 AM
My dad has bought this plane and on our field it won’t take off he’s then changed the motor to a ejets v3 with a typhoon motor 2150 kv motor and still won’t take off not sure what’s fundamentally wrong with this plane thrust is now up to 2.2 kg from stock 1.6kg but still doesn’t gain enough speed anyone have any knowledge of what can be done improve it ?
Sep 17, 2019, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy17885
My dad has bought this plane and on our field it won’t take off he’s then changed the motor to a ejets v3 with a typhoon motor 2150 kv motor and still won’t take off not sure what’s fundamentally wrong with this plane thrust is now up to 2.2 kg from stock 1.6kg but still doesn’t gain enough speed anyone have any knowledge of what can be done improve it ?
Assuming your strip surface isn't long grass and causing a lot of drag then the first thing I would look at is your C of G. A nose heavy jet isn't gonna want to rotate and get airborne. Balance it as per the previous posts using the "tail tip" method. When properly balanced it should only just tip back onto its front gear when the tail is pushed down .
Sep 19, 2019, 12:54 PM
Thanks for your advice things have moved on a bit we cut cheater holes in the side and it seriously moves on the motor setup now he had 2 great flights but it cooked the 150a turnigy esc literally melted the solder and she’s in bits now ! I’m interested in the tail tip method does this technique work with all freewing jets ? Cheers Dan

Quick Reply