Jul 15, 2019, 04:47 PM
There were a number of Mig 15's a few years back. Then almost nothing. It's time for a nicely detailed 80-90mm Mig from Freewing or FMS!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 04:53 PM
GO FAST-- TURN LEFT

Same fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69
That motor will not work with the stock F-86 fan. Better to get the fan and motor combo, unless you already have the Mig-21 fan.

MIG-21 FAN- https://www.motionrc.com/products/80...ti-and-80mm-a4

F-86 FAN- https://www.motionrc.com/products/80...ti-and-80mm-a4
80mm 12 blade EDF from Freewing - P0805
For the following Freewing 80mm jets:
•80mm A-6
•80mm L-39
•80mm Avanti S
•80mm A-4
80mm Mig 21
•80mm L-39
•80mm F-5
80mm F-86
•80mm F-14
•80mm Mirage (Older version, not Tigermeet)
•80mm Super Scorpion
Last edited by 32 slideways; Jul 15, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:42 PM
Grumpa Tom

Finally, at last! :)

Well, it has been 5 years since I saw xplaneguy Tony at the Basin with the then new Freewing F-86 and swore to myself that one day I would have one. I have placed my order and it will arrive in a few days.

Back story is that I have always been crazy about airplanes (as most of us are) and as a child of 6 years old in 1958, my older sister and brother were taking me to a movie titled "The Hunters". I do not recall if they told me it was a movie about duck hunting, or not. But I clearly recall thinking the movie I was about to see was about duck hunting. To my great surprise and delight, and they kept it a secret from me, the movie was an awesome feature about the F-86 Sabre jets in the Korean war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunters_(1958_film)

From that time on and until this day, the F-86 has always been one of my most loved aircraft.

I'm really looking forward to getting it. And reading 7000+ posts in this thread, lol.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Well, it has been 5 years since I saw xplaneguy Tony at the Basin with the then new Freewing F-86 and swore to myself that one day I would have one. I have placed my order and it will arrive in a few days.

Back story is that I have always been crazy about airplanes (as most of us are) and as a child of 6 years old in 1958, my older sister and brother were taking me to a movie titled "The Hunters". I do not recall if they told me it was a movie about duck hunting, or not. But I clearly recall thinking the movie I was about to see was about duck hunting. To my great surprise and delight, and they kept it a secret from me, the movie was an awesome feature about the F-86 Sabre jets in the Korean war.

From that time on and until this day, the F-86 has always been one of my most loved aircraft.

I'm really looking forward to getting it. And reading 7000+ posts in this thread, lol.
Congrats on the F-86!
I share your memory of "The Hunters". It really captured the the minds and hearts of many aspiring pilots. I recently saw it as a TV rerun and it brought back great memories of the movie theater experience I enjoyed with my Mom and Dad. Dad being the family No.1 Flying Nut with me following closely in his giant footsteps.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:29 PM
Fly and let Fly!
Quote:

Cool for you.!! I am not alone! (getting planes years after their initial release) ...
But if you loved the Sabre so much...... Wonder why the purchase delay...(?)... Life I guess.. Good luck, it is still on my target list of acquirements as well.!!!
Jul 16, 2019, 05:48 PM
Quote:

I got one recently, and I am converting it to a Fury. I haven't seen Tony in a long time, either! I have no idea what he is up to these days.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:02 PM
Plane arrived from MRC in great shape. Assembly was straight forward with no significant issues. I'm going to start out with the stock fan, motor, and ESC but may change to something else if not satisfied with stock. I probably won't fly it until the summer heat here gets back to below 100 degrees which may be a couple more months. Summertime in Indio, CA can be brutal from July through September. It is 116 degrees today.

In order to get the tail sit test right, a 5000 mAh battery has to sit on top of the ESC and very close to the cross bulkhead. The ESC ply brace has to be removed for certain. Even with that the battery still sits too high that the canopy won't securely close. Carving some of the underside of the canopy helps but I think the ESC really needs to be lowered or relocated. I wonder if letting the ESC fully hang down in the intake tube will significantly disrupt the air flow to the fan. Any opinions on that?

Mike 48
Jul 16, 2019, 07:18 PM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocg
Cool for you.!! I am not alone! (getting planes years after their initial release) ...
But if you loved the Sabre so much...... Wonder why the purchase delay...(?)... Life I guess.. Good luck, it is still on my target list of acquirements as well.!!!
I really don't have a good answer for that. I was gonna say "I am on a fixed pension" but I have purchased several models in the interim. So I dunno. Maybe because I am going slowly on EDF's. This will only be my 3rd.
Jul 17, 2019, 11:32 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 48
Plane arrived from MRC in great shape. Assembly was straight forward with no significant issues. I'm going to start out with the stock fan, motor, and ESC but may change to something else if not satisfied with stock. I probably won't fly it until the summer heat here gets back to below 100 degrees which may be a couple more months. Summertime in Indio, CA can be brutal from July through September. It is 116 degrees today.

In order to get the tail sit test right, a 5000 mAh battery has to sit on top of the ESC and very close to the cross bulkhead. The ESC ply brace has to be removed for certain. Even with that the battery still sits too high that the canopy won't securely close. Carving some of the underside of the canopy helps but I think the ESC really needs to be lowered or relocated. I wonder if letting the ESC fully hang down in the intake tube will significantly disrupt the air flow to the fan. Any opinions on that?

Mike 48
No, it doesn't significantly disrupt the airflow...that's what I did from the beginning and NEVER let the lipo sit on top of the ESC, IMHO
Yes, it's the best way to get the 5000 to sit test perfectly too.
Jul 17, 2019, 02:06 PM
I appreciate your response. I now think I will try that. It will certainly get plenty airflow for cooling. I was just concerned that it hanging down in the middle of the tunnel might cause the air disruption to the fan enough to degrade performance. Thanks.
Jul 17, 2019, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 48
I appreciate your response. I now think I will try that. It will certainly get plenty airflow for cooling. I was just concerned that it hanging down in the middle of the tunnel might cause the air disruption to the fan enough to degrade performance. Thanks.
I zip tied mine to the bottom of the batt. Tray, no way would I just let it hang loose in front of the fan
Jul 17, 2019, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawno
I zip tied mine to the bottom of the batt. Tray, no way would I just let it hang loose in front of the fan
I like that idea! Solves my problem, thanks for the tip!
Jul 17, 2019, 05:48 PM
A-ha!! Even better. Thanks for that suggestion. I did have a little concern for the ESC hanging in the tunnel where ram air would be pushing it toward the fan.
Thank you
Mike 48
Jul 17, 2019, 07:18 PM
RC Aircraft Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32 slideways
MIG-21 FAN- https://www.motionrc.com/products/80...ti-and-80mm-a4

F-86 FAN- https://www.motionrc.com/products/80...ti-and-80mm-a4
80mm 12 blade EDF from Freewing - P0805
For the following Freewing 80mm jets:
80mm A-6
80mm L-39
80mm Avanti S
80mm A-4
80mm Mig 21
80mm L-39
80mm F-5
80mm F-86
80mm F-14
80mm Mirage (Older version, not Tigermeet)
80mm Super Scorpion
The F-86 fan will not work with the Mig 21 motor. I know this because I ordered the Mig motor to ugrade my F-86. The motor can is different and will no bolt up with F-86 fan. I was able to get it working by using the F-86 motor can transplanted to the Mig motor.
Jul 17, 2019, 07:45 PM
retired ATC
I put the fms 2100kv fan in mine so I had to go to the 100a esc upgrade...the wires coming out of both ends of the larger esc hold it in place without the hold down.. so to make sure it stays there I used hockey take across it,,battery doesent seem to do it any harm as the fms fan doesent get the esc or battery anywhere near hot as the freewing fan does heres a vid nothing too great just one fast pass and several half throttle passes,,didn't even know he was filming it
Freewing F86 (2 min 25 sec)

Quick Reply