Jan 09, 2014, 01:52 AM
Posted for pictures only: Motion RC is the way to go!

http://www.ready2fly.com/shop/USER_A...4&Ziel_ID=5045
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2014, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford
Wonder why they didn't do full stabs..... considering the new A-4 has them.
That is curious.

Almost all foamie F86's have conventional elevators and I guess FW could justify the set up based on that and that it was the way the elevators were originally on the full size. Both are, arguably, lame excuses. It really does detract from an otherwise scale like appearance.

I'm buying one anyway. Maybe mod the flying stab like it should be. Maybe add the air brakes too.
Jan 09, 2014, 08:23 AM
Well I'm officially broke I just pre-ordered this and the A-6 from Motion. Wife won't talk to me and even the dog ignores me.
Jan 09, 2014, 10:43 AM
Comin' in HOT!
Sorry, meant the A-6...

Yeah I guess the real one had elevators. I'm not a huge 86 guy. But this one still looks great.

I'm just excited about this 80mm size in general. Compared to a 90mm size jet, the 80mm ones will be a tad smaller and weigh less. But will still have a good power system on 6s, which should provide great performance. And if the price can stay around $300 then I'm in.

Nothing against 90mm size, but they are getting heavy and pricey.
Jan 09, 2014, 11:00 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
The real one had.conventional elevators..but the whole staboved for trim. Pilots would use the elevator trim during dog fights to pull harder in turns.
Jan 09, 2014, 11:02 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19000rpm
That is curious.

Almost all foamie F86's have conventional elevators and I guess FW could justify the set up based on that and that it was the way the elevators were originally on the full size. Both are, arguably, lame excuses. It really does detract from an otherwise scale like appearance.
19000....I guess ignorance is bliss......since im not familiar with the F-86 can you post a pic of what it should look like......although I 'll still buy one im just curious...
Jan 09, 2014, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra
19000....I guess ignorance is bliss......since im not familiar with the F-86 can you post a pic of what it should look like......although I 'll still buy one im just curious...
Yeah, I need schoolin too. Explain "full" stabs. This one looks pretty scale to me
Jan 09, 2014, 01:02 PM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Apparently the earlier models had a trimable stab with a conventional elevator and the later model had an all moving tailplane!!

LURCH
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Jan 09, 2014, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101
Apparently the earlier models had a trimable stab with a conventional elevator and the later model had an all moving tailplane!!

LURCH
Here's a link to a vid and at about 1:37 you can see the full flying tailplane being checked by the pilot. http://wn.com/f-86_sabre_jet

"F-86E's all-moving tailplane was more effective at speeds near or exceeding the speed of sound, so the plane could safely recover from a sonic dive,"

The invention of the flying tailplane, according to some sources, was a British design and first used in the USA on the Bell X-1 rocket plane, flown by Chuck Yeager that first broke the sound barrier. Without the flying tailplane the barrier wouldn't have been achievable since airflow over the conventional elevator, approaching the speed of sound, wasn't smooth and the whole thing shook violently. Consequently, the flying tailplane has been a fixture on supersonic planes ever since.

The flying tailplane looks much like original stab/elevator except that it's one piece and it pivots near the center. The flying tailplane is also smaller since not as much total area is needed to stabilize or move the plane in the pitch axis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tail_plane_flying.svg
Last edited by 19000rpm; Jan 09, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Jan 09, 2014, 01:38 PM
For the most part the model looks pretty nice...but the stabs look horrible. The sabre didnt have a normal flying stab until much later versions. Though the e and f have the movable stab as discused earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGAIR
Yeah, I need schoolin too. Explain "full" stabs. This one looks pretty scale to me
Jan 09, 2014, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
For the most part the model looks pretty nice...but the stabs look horrible. The sabre didnt have a normal flying stab until much later versions. Though the e and f have the movable stab as discused earlier

The FW Jolley Roger is a later model: An F. They started the flying tailplane on the earlier E models.
Jan 09, 2014, 02:27 PM
Yes...but it was used as trim. The a model was the only one with a fixed stab. The first sabre with a traditional flying stab was the h then the d. Doesnt really matter i guess cause it wont change the stab on the fw lol
Jan 09, 2014, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
Yes...but it was used as trim. The a model was the only one with a fixed stab. The first sabre with a traditional flying stab was the h then the d. Doesnt really matter i guess cause it wont change the stab on the fw lol
Yes, you're right. The changeability of nomenclature makes it difficult to communicate. The H was the first with the "Slab Stab" (may as well add that description to the mix) with no elevator involved.
Jan 09, 2014, 08:27 PM
Classic jets rule
the reason the later ones had a flying stab ...is you cant go super sonic with elev. .the shock wave makes the elev. non players. the whole stab has to move to have any pitch control. this free wing version has wider elev. than scale ...which is most likely needed .with scale dims on the elev. you dont have enough pitch control at low speed ....but they changed the whole shape and the tips dont look right either.
Jan 09, 2014, 11:33 PM
Keeping them out of the dirt!!
I really like it and being a little larger is nice. Im going to fly my Venom F-86 to its death and then upgrade to my favorite jet F-4 Phantom!!!! The upgrade might happen before the death...................

Quick Reply