to remove ads between posts
Dec 30, 2013, 12:03 PM
Electric Coolhunter
No picture on hand, but I still have an original Astro 05 ferrite motor purchased in 1975. Used in a Goldberg foam Ranger 42 ARF which was my first electric model.
Dec 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
No picture on hand, but I still have an original Astro 05 ferrite motor purchased in 1975.......
I have one around somewhere too. Should be easy to find as it was about the same size and weight of a Chevy 327 starter.
Dec 30, 2013, 02:56 PM
Hobby King Hater

They had a box of stuff at the meeting one night and we brought it
home, most of the stuff is mid 80's to early 90's.
Dec 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I used to race 1/12th electric cars back in the 70's .. 80's ...

I used clockwork timed fast chargers on the 7.2v NiCD packs ... I have two still ... one ran of 12V, other ran of 240V :

I have old 70's Radio chargers from M series radios - still used today.

I have an MFA Battery Backer from my Large Model days in UK .. connects two battery packs to Rx with auto switch-over in the event main pack fails :

I still have my old M Series 6ch Futaba 35Mhz radio from the 70's :

And if you look closely at the photo - you can just still make out the Meon valley Soaring Assoc. sticker bottom left corner ...

I still have and it works - my top of the range in 80's JR Propo 8ch Modular radio - the JR's that started this module lark of that we have today ...

With full back-panel programmability.

Yes I still have even the box, original Rx pack, servos and foam packing ! (At the price I paid !! No way I lose any of it !)

My ex-Wife in UK still has a few of my old models tucked away in the garage .. which I keep meaning to go back and collect !

Nigel
Dec 30, 2013, 05:03 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I still have my Heathkit GD-19 radio from 1970. Came in kit form and you had to build everything except for the TX RF deck. Building it from the kit saved you tons of money over comparable radios. The kit cost was only $219.95 in 1970s dollars...
Dec 30, 2013, 07:07 PM
How many remember this thing?

It REALLY should have been throw out decades ago!
Dec 30, 2013, 07:59 PM

Oldest Piece of

Oops!
Last edited by E-Challenged; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Dec 30, 2013, 08:08 PM

Oldest Piece of Electric Gear

Old!, Here's my Astro 25 brushed geared motor with 211 speed control in my Sig 1/6 scale Sig J-3 Cub that I started over 30 years ago as an IC model and converted to electric in the 80's , lost interest, restarted in late 2012 and finished recently. It's taxi-tested and now ready for maiden flight. Motor runs on two 2200 3S lipos in series. Ols 211 Speed control has no low voltage cutoff or BEC circuit, uses Li-Saver and UBEC add-on devices..

I still have my Ace Pulse Commander single channel stuff somewhere in storage
Dec 30, 2013, 09:54 PM
Closed Account
I've gotten a lot of use out of this; it was installed in a Goldberg Electra in 1988 or so. I've had it installed in a few planes up to a few years ago. It still works well.
Dec 30, 2013, 10:05 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Very Kool thread. +1 to all you guys posting your vintage gear. I enjoy taking note of how the hobby has evolved.

I have nothing to add but 3 year old " FB" helis .. In our arena is almost ancient kinda stuff.

Check out that rotor head on the 600 - - It's crazy high. lol

* subscribed*
Dec 30, 2013, 10:39 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
I am an admitted pack rat so here goes:
-Astro Ferrite 25 in a boat (I bought it new and flew it in an Astro Bushmaster back in 1978)
-Bunch of Johnson 250s and associated gearboxes
-3 or 4 belt drives, one like the first post, one with DeWalt drill motor
-Several Astro cobalt motors (05s, 40s)
-Aveox sensored controllers and motors
Last edited by Mel Duval; Dec 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Dec 30, 2013, 10:45 PM
Flying is Living!
I have this old Kraft Radio... from back in 1975 or close thereabouts.
Dec 31, 2013, 05:05 AM
This thread is titled OLD but not many have anything old.

I have an Avometer Model 9 MkII, mainly because I prefer it to the Model 8 because it uses the 30/100 scale rather than the 25/100 though it appears the last Model 8s had the same scales as the Model 9. Date? Mine is either late 1960s or early 1970s.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/avo_uni...ter_9_mk2.html

Good for current where I might blow a digital meter and also good where AC/RF on top of DC could give a wrong reading on a digital meter.
Dec 31, 2013, 06:18 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L
This thread is titled OLD but not many have anything old.

I have an Avometer Model 9 MkII, mainly because I prefer it to the Model 8 because it uses the 30/100 scale rather than the 25/100 though it appears the last Model 8s had the same scales as the Model 9. Date? Mine is either late 1960s or early 1970s.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/avo_uni...ter_9_mk2.html

Good for current where I might blow a digital meter and also good where AC/RF on top of DC could give a wrong reading on a digital meter.
I think the OP meant in terms of RC gear ... if we step outside of RC ... then I have loads of old Soviet gear .. I mean OLD soviet gear. Example : I was given a Soviet Army box full of spares for Military gear from WW2 ... my Lab Managers father passed away and she didn't know what to do with it ... so gave it to me.
I have Rifle ammo still in clip from the last stand of the German Army in Kurzeme after their retreat from Leningrad ... where Hitler refused to rescue them and told them to stand and fight ... Red Army annihilated them.

I shall stick with RC gear !

Nigel

Quick Reply