This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 29, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

F-106 Delta Dart

I've always wanted to do a dart, but there have been a lot of them and so I never got around to it till now. This takes a single sheet of 6mm 26.5x39" depron. I used one piece of tubular 1/8" carbon rod to do the wing spar, pushrod reinforcements, and nose reinforcement. No other carbon needed.

You simply print out the plans making sure they are not scaled and you are using borderless printing. Then cut out the templates and mark the depron. Once you have marked the right and left fuse sides, you can cut out the intake doublers and make a left and right of those as well. Only half the wing is shown, simple flip over and trace the other side. Cut out the depron. I grooved and inserted a piece of 1/8" carbon rod in the nose running to about 3" aft and below the wing leading edge to reinforce the nose. I used 3M77 spray to joint the right and left sides. I then sanded the rounded portions of the nose and fuse/vertical stab. Once that is done you can slot for the wing. I then rounded the left and right intake doublers and glued them with 3m77 spray just above the wing slot. You can cut out for the motor tube if you are makiing a rocket glider, or cut out to fit your motor. If you are mounting the motor on a plate you should put a small piece of carbon rod in the middle of the motor plate and drill and glue that into the tail to give it some strength. Make sure to leave clearance for the prop to clear the speed brake extension.

I then did all the markings, panel lines with sharpie, and painted the nose. While that was drying, i sanded the wing leading and trailing edges, and installed the spar and taped it with dubro hinge tape. I then did all the panel lines and markings. Once done I cut out the control surfaces. I trimmed the inboard and outboard edges about 1/32" to give some clearance and cut a 45 degree bevel on the bottom leading edge. I taped the control surfaces in place and installed and glued in the wing.

I used dubro micro control horns for the surfaces and .047 music wire for the pushrods. I glued some of the 1/8" carbon tube on the pushrods to give them some stiffness and allow me to put the servos just ahead of the CG.

Mount your motor and electronics and figure out the battery location for CG, mine is just behind the black nose portion.

I inserted two of the dubro tail/wing bumpers that are made from nylon along the bottom of the airframe to protect the servo horns and receiver wires from getting any landing damage when landing on our conveyer belt matting since there isn't a lot of ground clearance.

I set my control throws about 1/2" up/down for aileron and 3/4" for elevator and used about 3/16" up trim for level flight.

Toss level at about 1/2 throttle and watch for torque roll till you get a bit of airspeed. Landings are easy power off once you are over the threshold and it will flare quite nose high.

Once you round the airframe it looks pretty realistic and once in the air is a nice representation that will fly fast or quite slow with no bad tendencies.

On mine I fit it with a 24mm rocket pod, suitable for an aerotech E-6 RC rocket motor, and I can insert the grayson microjet V-3 motor with 6x4 apc prop into the rocket tube and click it in place and fly it as a pusher as well.

Plans are on my main plans page now.

I was extremely lucky, as I had forgotten to glue in my control horns, and they stayed in place during two flights, yikes....make sure you do something when you are thinking about it....otherwise you may forget.

I'm getting at least six minutes of aggressive flying on a battery.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Nov 19, 2015 at 02:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2016, 08:05 PM
Flew the F-106 twice tonight, flies great. Fast roll rate to say the least, and just about perfectly axial. At high rate it rolls so fast it has no other choice but to be perfectly axial. It handles exactly the way I thought it would throughout the flight envelop. It slows down nice for landing.

RTF 12.5oz, Stickers provided by Mark at Stickershock

Quick Reply