Nov 26, 2015, 12:08 PM
Endurance, Altitude, and Range
How easy/difficult is it to get the V2 built from the laser kit?

I'm completely new to wood working so consider me to be a beginner going on this endeavor.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2015, 12:43 PM
I'm just about ready to cover mine and I built it up from the laser kit. It's a very high quality kit. Everything fit perfectly. There are some things that were a bit of a challenge for me. The car on cap straps were probably the biggest. After talking to Spike though I think I used the wrong glue. I tried using epoxy and they didn't stay on very good. He recommended medium ca hut it was too late for mine. There's nothing that difficult about the build, just take your time and if you have questions, ask.
Nov 26, 2015, 03:38 PM
I just built a kit version for myself, with some custom mods for a friend in norway, and the kit sure saved a lot of time. I also keep a photo archive of the build for anyone that needs help, and i am available for questions related to Gemini prototype or V-2 anytime.
[email protected]
thanks to everyone for the great feedback, and let me know if anyone has any suggestions for the future!
Spike
Dec 04, 2016, 02:56 AM
sailtails - YouTube
We've now released the "Future Star" rocket plane design for air launch from underneath the Gemini V-2 airframe. We hope you enjoy the design, and flying it! for more information on the concept, and to purchase plans, visit our website:
http://www.bearospaceindustries.com/aircraft.html

ROCKET PLANE - FUTURE STAR Air Lauch and Rocket Flight (3 min 18 sec)
Dec 04, 2016, 03:11 AM
Thanks to everyone who sent pictures of their Gemini V-2 and prototype build! there are lots of them flying around the world now!
Gemini Airframe Projects from Around the World (4 min 8 sec)
Dec 04, 2016, 03:00 PM
Spike,

Curious if you could chime in on the pros and cons of the prototype vs the V2 version?

Really liking this setup and I have been looking towards moving away from foam aircraft. Thanks for the feedback!!
Dec 04, 2016, 07:19 PM
Sure, the prototype was just that, a prototype, and I designed it with the idea to integrate several advanced features, and collect data points for future design reference. I never really meant it to be mass produced, and by the time i was finished, I realized that there were simpler ways to do many things.
Based on the data I got, and hands-on, real-world flight experience, I set about designing the V-2 for scratch building. I had lost a prototype to an autopilot glitch, which had caused it to dive sharply. The speed buildup due to the very clean lines, and low drag led to an in-flight breakup. When i published the plans for the prototype, I included a detail which would have helped the prototype, had it been done at the time of the incident. (wrapping the box spar structure with thread to prevent it being "unzipped" by abnormal loads from the joiner) When i designed the structure of the V-2, especially the wing, I made an attempt to create a structure which could survive a high speed dive, and the G-loads from a sharp pullout. This is demonstrated by a video I published recently, of a V-2 airframe I was flying in Africa, while integrating an autopilot. The autopilot had a similar problem (this time due to an incorrect setting) and this time, the airframe survived a very high speed dive, and sharp full elevator pullout. reference the video:

Gemini V-2 UAV near crash while testing autopilot (1 min 23 sec)

as far as performance, the prototype was optimized for distance, and when i designed the v-2, I decided to optimize for endurance instead. The result was a far more useful aircraft, as it had the added benefits of being able to lift more weight, and land slower. Not only is the wing stringer, but it's harder for the plane to build up speed in a dive, as the airfoil of the V-2 is thicker, and although it performs very well at low airspeeds, when it is pouched to a high airspeed, it actually creates a large amount of drag. In this case it's a good thing, as it prevents overspeed, and thus the stress involved with the event.
I also eliminated several features which had not turned out to provide a large enough benefit, or no benefit at all. The resulting aircraft is much easier to transport, more forgiving to fly, stronger, has the added rear payload bay for large sensors, and actually has better flight performance in most flight regimes that the aircraft is likely to be operated in. The need for air brakes has also been eliminated, by the inherent characteristics of the airfoil.
build time for V-2 is also a fraction of the prototype, and since the design is simpler it was possible to produce a laser cut kit, which has been done by Wayne from flying squirrel models in canada.
Dec 04, 2016, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the reply Spike. Bought the plans, thanks for sending them.

I've been in contact with Wayne about getting the laser cut kit. HUGE advantage for that. Thinking I will pull the trigger in a few weeks
One thing that is so appealing is that the kit seems very straight-forward. This will be my first BALSA kit built, although I've assembled numerous foam kits, balsa arfs, etc.

Thanks for doing what you do and sharing it with those of us who haven't!! Thinking it would be fun to experiment with in-flight recharging as well. That, using the V2 as an airborne repeater, etc. So exciting

Anyways, thank you again!!
Dec 17, 2016, 04:22 AM
PLEASE were can I buy the Kit, I type it in nothing
Cheer's
Dec 17, 2016, 10:13 AM
You have to email Wayne at [email protected]. He sees the laser cut kit, and you have to buy the plans from the bearospace website.
Dec 18, 2016, 02:41 AM
Wayne McNab, Owner of Flying Squirrel Models, on Pender Island Canada, produces the high quality laser cut kits for V-2.
The fuselage kit, Short wing kit, and tail feathers kit are available separately, or can all be shipped together. This is so that you can decide which major assemblies you would rather have the kit for, and which parts you may not mind building from scratch. There is also an option available for a supplemental parts package which reduces the amount of dihedral in the wings. A modified motor nacelle (lower thrust height) is supplied to match. This is a useful mod, when the aircraft will be used in gusty wind conditions, and/or flown mostly with autopilot.
Hardware, such as landing gear, control horns, hinges, carbon fiber parts, etc., are not supplied with the kit. You will need some supplemental materials. The materials you will have to source separately are not included in the kit, as their size would greatly increase the cost of shipping. An info package With all pertinent information about the kit, including pricing, and a supplemental parts list is available free of charge by contacting: [email protected]
You can also use the same email contact for Wayne, if you have questions specifically regarding the kit version during the build process.
The Kit Does not include the plans for V-2, as those are sold separately here on the website.

Wayne has a special right now for a limited time on the Future Star rocket Hybrid plane laser cut kits!

happy winter vacations to everyone from Bearospace Industries, and thanks to everyone for your support and valuable feedback!
Aug 12, 2018, 10:26 AM
RCaviator2010
Hello Spike,
Can i build miniature version (1.2m - 1.5m) foam Gemini V-2 from your plan. Will the measurement be correct if printed lower than 100% ?
Nov 27, 2018, 09:59 PM

Currently working on a 50% build

I am currently scratch building a Gemini off of the plans I bought from spike. I scaled them to 50%. Iíll post pictures soon.

Quick Reply