Utah County Flying Schedule - Page 76 - RC Groups
May 26, 2017, 01:03 AM

Ama

I get what you're driving at Lee and I don't totally disagree with it except for a couple of issues. The only one I'm still torqued about is the total lack of spine last year with the Federal encroachment on us with the registration issue. I do not like the way they rolled over and tried to get in on the action, it upset me big time. If I lived closer to Saratoga I might join just for the privilege of flying there, provided I found the dues to be resonable. As it is the only reason I might ever join ama again would be to compete with the DLG crowd. It took a private citizen to stand up to the FAA..... It should have been the AMA, that's just sad . It pretty much tells me that they only care about the dollars, not so much being advocates for us, they were even going to be lap dogs for the Fed with their plan to collect registrations. Do we even know if the ama would actually sanction a combat event with 30 plus guys all over the place? IDK.... Seems likely they wouldn't extended coverage to an event as chaotic as a swarm. Don't even get me started on the shabby job they do of supporting our national teams at international competitions. The SLC field didn't require AMA to fly, bummer that it got torn up for more grass maggot fields.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2017, 01:06 AM
Any way I'll be at every SWARM event you schedule, I'll even come down for a service day to help spruce up the heli field..... I'll even bring my chain saw to help with those trees.
May 26, 2017, 01:31 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
The AMA is the only national representation we have for RC modelers.

This last year there was a law SB111 on the Utah governors desk waiting to be signed that would have made Utah the most restricted state in the USA for RC models. It was the AMA and the local AMA clubs that got it modified or we in Utah would have been sunk. They only found out it existed hours before it was to be signed into law.

At this time there are 206 state level bills and numerous additional municipal bills pending for model aircraft regulation across the country and the AMA is involved and monitoring them all and all new laws that are being proposed.

In September 2017 this year the federal Congress will be reviewing the FAAs authorization and responsibilities and part of that will deal with model aircraft regulation. The AMA is deeply involved and lobbying to protect our rights. The AMA fought the registration by the FAA but the FAA went over their heads and forced the registration which has sense been put on hold for at least the time being.

The AMA used to be an organization for flyers to share information but now it becoming a legal lobby representing the hobby to a wide variety of government officials that usually have no idea of what is going on in the RC hobby. The AMA is offering help educate the local government officials to help them write fair and logical legislation where the officials don't know the hobby.

The AMA is also involved in investigation of near misses or reported sightings that are blamed on model aircraft. They are making sure that the birds and balloons and other things aren't miss identified as model aircraft. They are actively trying to make sure that preliminary reports are not reported as fact until they are investigated because most of the reports are either acceptable legal flying or miss-identification of what the witnesses think they saw. There has not been to date a non military civilian drone collision with a civilian aircraft in spite of all the reports you may see on the news.

The AMA is also involved in flyer education and safety. This education element is part of what is being presented to lawmakers to show we have an active safety program.

The AMA is the organization that takes calls if you have questions or to report legal problems or legislation in your specific area.

The AMA also provides liability insurance along with the legal assistance to members.

I know it is something that is frustrating but we have to look at it from a national and state level where the laws are being written .

How do I know all of this? I am an AMA member and read the monthly action reports.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; May 26, 2017 at 12:28 PM.
May 26, 2017, 01:59 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrguy3
Any way I'll be at every SWARM event you schedule, I'll even come down for a service day to help spruce up the heli field..... I'll even bring my chain saw to help with those trees.
they still haven't decided what they want to do. I offered our help and told them I would help get the word out if they were wanting help.

Since we did our sWARm the weeds have grown more than a foot. The field looks totally different than it did 2 weeks ago.

It would be nice to find some AstroTurf for the East field that was being thrown away to put out like they have in St George or along the side of the runway at Saratoga Field
Jun 27, 2017, 03:14 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
The Utah Valley Aeromodellers had about 150 visitors and 50 flyers at their Saturday the 24th Open house.

Here are a few pictures of some of the planes that were there.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 27, 2017 at 06:52 PM.
Jun 27, 2017, 03:16 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
The Utah Valley Aeromodellers had about 150 visitors and 50 flyers at their Saturday the 24th Open house.

Here are more pictures of some of the planes and people that were there.
Jun 27, 2017, 03:19 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!

Here are a few pictures of some of some of the planes and people who were there.
Jun 27, 2017, 03:21 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!

Here are a few pictures of some of the planes and people who were there.
Jun 27, 2017, 03:24 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
The Heli club has asked if we would like to schedule their field again. They have said except for some Saturday and Sunday mornings and Tuesday nights they do not usually use the field.

We can schedule a Saturday morning again if we contact them in advance.
Last edited by Lee; Jun 27, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Jun 27, 2017, 06:25 PM
swede
Rats! I was going to go to that. I forgot all about it, and didn't see any reminders. I was wondering just last night when this was.
Aug 23, 2017, 12:04 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Saturday is the helicopter fly in at the Saratoga field. Should be fun to watch.
Sep 04, 2017, 07:22 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
The Heli club has given us permission to use their East Saratoga field on the afternoon of the Thursday the 14th, Friday the 15th and the whole day of Saturday the 16th of September.

Are you interested? We need to let them know.

We could have an afternoon / night fly sWARm on the Thursday and or Friday and a morning sWARm on the 16th.

I went flying both Saturday and today at the Saratoga field. Saturday there were 10 flyers flying while I was there and today there 20 or more with more flyers arriving as I left. there was a barbecue set up and food a cooking.

The Saratoga field is a place to go fly with other flyers where you don't have to worry about flying with soccer moms.

This Wednesday they are having a sealing coat put on the runways and up under the pavilion .
Nov 08, 2017, 08:22 PM
I am newish to the area, but i lived here a few years back. i used to watch you guys fly and wish i could join, but i could afford it at the time. I recently moved back and an ready for some combat. do you guys still get together?
Nov 08, 2017, 10:50 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Many of us are still flying but our sod farm flying field is now a housing development so we have had to find other places to fly.

Some of us are flying with the Utah Valley Aeromodellers at their field in Saratoga. This flying field is an AMA field but has flyers at it most days. Frequently there are as many as 10 flyers on weekdays and 20+ on weekends on good weather days.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.3...e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

I also fly at the point of the mountain, Squaw Peak and at a couple of the local schools and at the grass field next to the Orem Cemetary.

Come and fly with us. Invite your friends. There is a club meeting at Hobby Town on 800 S tomorrow at 7 PM.
Nov 20, 2017, 12:36 AM
Jakie fetch plane?!
Ninjas are back up and flying. We've been flying over in an undeveloped part of Lehi right off of Timp Highway. I'll probably end up getting an AMA and start flying over with all ya'all.