Utah County Flying Schedule - Page 5 - RC Groups
Jan 18, 2014, 06:38 PM
Tight is Right
Unless you forgot where Art Dye was, you didn't get there by 1:30.

My combat plane flew for a while but a couple of crashes and the thing is not flyable again. I need to get my Herc ready and into combat.

I did get a few flights on my FMS Mustang too.

One awesome story from today. My dad brought his FMS Mustang and I was prepping it for TakeOff when we noticed the Tx battery was dying. I was going to nix the TakeOff, but when I turned the radio off, the ESC turned the Motor on....

FULL POWER..... 15' later the plane is climbing out perfectly with NO CONTROL!!!!

I quickly turned the TX back on and 3 seconds later the TX grabbed the plane, swung it around, and landed safely.

Sheesh what a STUPID ESC. I've never seen one that pegs full power on signal loss. That one will be going in the garbage.

We did have about 6 pilots out today. Great day to fly.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2014, 07:05 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze
Sheesh what a STUPID ESC. I've never seen one that pegs full power on signal loss. That one will be going in the garbage.
That's the receiver not having a failsafe on that channel (ie Orange Receiver). Or if it's a Spektrum, the throttle was up during the initial bind and that set the failsafe position to full throttle. Best to rebind it with the throttle down. It's not the ESC's fault it got a signal to go full throttle when it lost the receiver signal.
Jan 19, 2014, 12:06 AM
More Combat Please!
The good news is I got my combat plane fixed. The bad news is we had a conflict with the times, and I had to choose between flying combat and helping Ryan find his downed plane. When I called Randy at 11:30 to see what was going on at Art Dye he said he was the only one and was heading to Spanish Fork to the FPV event, so we met at a park-and-ride and drove down together.

Didn't find Ryan's plane, but got to fly in a beautiful canyon I've never seen before, so it was a great outing.

So Darren, let me know when you get a combat plane back in the air, I'm ready to dish out some friendly pain!

Seriously though, you should build your Herc and make it an FPV wing so we can fly FPV with them. Build another Reaper for combat.
Jan 19, 2014, 09:36 AM
Hi Guys ! We are getting a little group of us together and fly at Taylorsville flying field at 11:00. Anyone is welcome to come. AMA or Not
Jan 20, 2014, 11:29 AM
Corn-holio
I was at Art Dye from 10:30 to about noon but had to leave before many more people arrived. Had a few hits with Randy and my son. I tried to take off from the "snow" with my float plane but the 'snow' was really ice with frozen footprints everywhere. My plane shook its floats off before it got in the air.

Perfect day to fly though.

Great story Darren!
Jan 20, 2014, 03:30 PM
More Combat Please!
My first film of 2014! Woohoo! Filmed in what I consider one of the coolest places on earth, edited to a new original soundtrack. This is one of my favs so far.

Gardens of Bone - Utah's Fantasy Canyon (3 min 36 sec)
Jan 20, 2014, 06:04 PM
Proud RC Addict
Very cool!
Jan 20, 2014, 07:12 PM
Tight is Right
Fantastic Video Todd.

I think this is your best yet. And that is saying something.
Jan 21, 2014, 10:39 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Amazing video. Music score was also amazing.
Jan 24, 2014, 10:12 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Who is flying tomorrow and at what time? Might I suggest noon at Art Dye?
Jan 25, 2014, 09:12 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Who is flying today?
Jan 26, 2014, 12:26 AM
wheeeeee!
Spent a good chunk of today building...

Anyone here follow the guys at FliteTest much? Or have you seen the Pixar movie Planes? Well, FliteTest put together a scratch build plane to mimic one of the characters from Planes. They called it the FT Slinger. Pretty much the same as the FT Racer. Cool little plane, cheap easy build.

http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-racer-build

So a couple of us built them, but right from the beginning I saw the flaw. FliteTest builds these, and provides the plans, for foam board. If you crash, you're headed home to rebuild, at best. Totaled at worst. Some of these pics (the blue one) are the aftermath of just a failed launch!

I couldn't help but thinking, "man, EPP makes for such better, worry-free flying!" This was the first time I was drawn away from EPP, and it wasn't worth it. So I Frankensteined some EPP I had, sculpted the same design, and moved the electronics over. A couple mods from the FliteTest plans: 6" wider wingspan, larger control surfaces (especially the elevon), ditched the rudder, and best of all... removable wing, held with rubber bands like the Albatross, but fitted up into the bottom.

The all-up-weight is less than my foam board version, so that's a good sign. But this was built entirely by hand, so... we'll see if this thing flies at all. For now, I'm just proud of how my truly-scratch build looks.
Jan 26, 2014, 01:03 AM
AGAIN: (Sunday the 26th) Hi Guys ! We are getting a little group of us together and fly at Taylorsville flying field at 11:00. Anyone is welcome to come. AMA or Not
Jan 26, 2014, 04:31 PM
Faith.Happiness.Believe.3 D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoX
AGAIN: (Sunday the 26th) Hi Guys ! We are getting a little group of us together and fly at Taylorsville flying field at 11:00. Anyone is welcome to come. AMA or Not
Hey DinoX it was nice to meet you and the others out today. I will subscribe to your Facebook soon, just going to download the video from today. Cheers
Jan 26, 2014, 05:02 PM
Sweet it was nice seeing you too Mike