Feb 10, 2014, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl8zn
Thanks for the reply. I am interested also to know whether or not this comes with JR style trainer port plug and if ppm signal is strong enough out of trainer port for use with this system. Maybe the Rlink rep can answer. Thanks.
As I said, the vendors decide which cables to supply. Sometimes they include several choices,
sometimes you have to choose at checkout, or pay extra for more options and,
sometimes they only have available a cable with bare ends, and you make your own.

There should be no issue with the ppm signal. If there was, it would probably
be radio dependent, not Rlink dependent. I've fed it from various different PPM
sources without issue.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2014, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundead
Taranis went mental when I first plugged in the Rlink module. Buttons were randomly being switched (i.e. menu buttons). so decided to shield it to solve the interference problem.

So for all of you having issues with your Taranis, here is a quick Taranis Shielding How To
I also have taranis radio and Rlink is mounted just on the back of the radio. No issues without shielding, but there is a trick - you need to keep both antennas, do not remove 2.4ghz antenna or otherwise taranis will randomly play with buttons, create models etc. I have FrSky 2.4G V8 Series 5db module Antenna mounted on DIY SMA port.

2 days ago I forgot to attach 2.4ghz antenna and for some reason taranis didn't go wild immediately, so I took off and then this random hell occured. Fortunately, storm osd managed & circled my plane in RTH mode while I was running to the car and searching for the 2.4 antenna Then I was able to switch back to correct model in taranis and save the plane.
Last edited by MtDmitriy; Feb 11, 2014 at 02:27 AM.
Feb 11, 2014, 02:38 AM
Yea, it's a weird one for sure. I always keep the 2.4g antenna on just in case I'm on the wrong model (dont want to burn out my internal module lol). But it didn't make any difference for me. Problem solved now though after shielding so range tests next

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDmitriy
I also have taranis radio and Rlink is mounted just on the back of the radio. No issues without shielding, but there is a trick - you need to keep both antennas, do not remove 2.4ghz antenna or otherwise taranis will randomly play with buttons, create models etc. I have FrSky 2.4G V8 Series 5db module Antenna mounted on DIY SMA port.

2 days ago I forgot to attach 2.4ghz antenna and for some reason taranis didn't go wild immediately, so I took off and then this random hell occured. Fortunately, storm osd managed & circled my plane in RTH mode while I was running to the car and searching for the 2.4 antenna Then I was able to switch back to correct model in taranis and save the plane.
Feb 11, 2014, 03:14 AM
RTFM
I'm glad you got it sorted thundead, hopefully this can be later fixed in a fw upgrade, I don't think people should need to shield their radios, and worry about switches turning then self on and off lol... I had a problem were I had the ppm from my radio corrupted, in both high and low power, in micro it was OK, but this was easily fixed by adding a toroid on the ppm cable. It's sure is powerful.. Maybe to powerful, a fw to adjust power output on both high and low would be nice.
Feb 11, 2014, 10:49 PM
Ya, I don't need/want output power or battery drain this high. Since micro power
mode was added via firmware, there's no reason that normal low and high power
settings shouldn't be able to be modified the same way.

As for radio shielding. My Taranis doesn't glitch, but the speaker does buzz quite a bit.
Helps to make sure the UHF Tx antenna sticks up well above the top of the radio
(UHF module itself even with, if not a little higher than top of radio).
Feb 12, 2014, 01:18 AM
Quote:
hey Daemon,

I'll be getting a Rlink in the post in the next days and will test current draw on low/high power. What's your current amp draw ?(to have a comparison)

Regards,
Mihai.
You ever get around to measuring your current draw?
I'd like to know if mine is abnormally high. If you do, please also include
the voltage so we can compare wattage.
Feb 12, 2014, 02:31 AM
I can measure it this evening. Then i let you know.
Feb 12, 2014, 02:43 AM
Flying Zayin
Got mine (ecstatic)
Does anyone know a good spell to turn the weather at least a bit better??
Feb 12, 2014, 02:43 AM
Morning Daemon,

Will do a measurement this afternoon.

Mihai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
You ever get around to measuring your current draw?
I'd like to know if mine is abnormally high. If you do, please also include
the voltage so we can compare wattage.
Feb 12, 2014, 04:06 AM
How does Rlink compare to Rangelink? ie performance, range?
Feb 12, 2014, 12:49 PM

Rlink current measurements

Power measurements as follows:

Setting ------ A --------- V -------P(W)
Low ----------0.319-----10.0-----3.19
Hi -------------0.664 ----- 9.8 --- 6.51

So quite consistent with Daemon's results. Don't have a means of measuring RF power unfortunately.

Simon Lee, any ideas on this ? Would it be possible to implement a configurable power setting for low / high modes via config file ?

Kind Regards,
Mihai.
Feb 12, 2014, 01:09 PM
Yep, about the same as what I see. Note that the specs on their website say
"Current:[email protected], low power mode
[email protected], high power mode"

BTW, if you're up for one more test, plug a servo lead into the Ext port, and measure
the voltage between middle and outside pin on low and high power. I get 5.0 and 7.2-7.3V
which is the voltage to the Rf module itself. The 400/800 rating is at
4.5 and 6.8V input respectively but don't think +0.5V should double the output power.
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 12, 2014 at 01:15 PM.
Feb 12, 2014, 10:16 PM
Flying Zayin
Quote:
Low ----------0.319-----10.0-----3.19
Hi -------------0.664 ----- 9.8 --- 6.51
Thanks Mihai, so does it actually mean that we are holding a 6+ W microwave source 20 cm from our bellies?
I don't mind having high power Tx - but well, in some cases I'd prefer moving its antenna a few m away...
Feb 12, 2014, 10:35 PM
No, that's input wattage, not output power.
Feb 13, 2014, 02:22 AM
Hey Daemon, sorry, just saw your post. will check the Ext port when I get back from work and post the results.

Regards,
Mihai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Yep, about the same as what I see. Note that the specs on their website say
"Current:[email protected], low power mode
[email protected], high power mode"

BTW, if you're up for one more test, plug a servo lead into the Ext port, and measure
the voltage between middle and outside pin on low and high power. I get 5.0 and 7.2-7.3V
which is the voltage to the Rf module itself. The 400/800 rating is at
4.5 and 6.8V input respectively but don't think +0.5V should double the output power.

Quick Reply