Thread Tools
Jan 12, 2016, 07:46 PM
Can you fly bobby?
MK1G4V's Avatar
Yes fixed wing and all those commands Is exactly what I have a need to control.

Maybe you could take a look over an unanswered thread on this very subject saves clogging up this thread there are other products involved other than Rlink..

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2563559
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2016, 07:55 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
It's pretty simple.
9XR can be configured to output as many channels as you need. Set it to 12ch and plug it into Rlink Tx. It'll transmit all of them.
Tornado OSD/AP supports S-BUS input, so just set Rlink Rx config to output SBUS (probably
the default), and connect one wire from its S-BUS output to Tornado's S-BUS input,
and then configure the flight controller to use whatever channels it needs.
Let's say you used the first 7 channels for the AP. That leaves ch8-12 for other stuff.
Go back into the Rlink Rx config and set the PWM mapping (PWM Sequence) so that first physical PWM output
comes from ch8, 2nd from ch9 and so forth. Plug your other gear into those channels. Done.
Jan 12, 2016, 07:59 PM
Can you fly bobby?
MK1G4V's Avatar
Right it's kinda how i had imagine it would work for me..It's just I was unsure of using sbus/ppm on a big fixed wing endurance tank. I only ever had a twinstar2 working in the conventional 1-8 ch way PWM I presume and the only other time I touched on a single servo wire was PPM on my little 250 multi...

I think I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Let's say you used the first 7 channels for the AP. That leaves ch8-12 for other stuff.
So presumably those 7 channels will be sent via a one servo wire config via sbus port on my tornado.. leaving all other servo pin input/outputs on my tornado free. Go back to Rlink Rx for my lights and stuff and cam switcher ect?
Last edited by MK1G4V; Jan 12, 2016 at 08:04 PM.
Jan 14, 2016, 08:28 PM
Principal Member
compuatic's Avatar
I did my first long range attempt today after doing the resistor mod on the rlink module. Stock antennas on TX and RX with the RX mounted on the tail section of a mini talon. Suprisingly failsafe kicked in at 8km out. Altitude was pretty high. Switchted to high power and continued on to 10km then turned around and came back. I am surprised at the reduction in range with the resistor mode, especially that it didn't eliminate the interference issue.

The video transmitter sits more than 20inches away at the nose of the plane and is an 800mW 1.3G Vtx.
Jan 14, 2016, 09:33 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK1G4V
So presumably those 7 channels will be sent via a one servo wire config via sbus port on my tornado.. leaving all other servo pin input/outputs on my tornado free. Go back to Rlink Rx for my lights and stuff and cam switcher ect?
Correct.
Jan 14, 2016, 09:36 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic
I did my first long range attempt today after doing the resistor mod on the rlink module. Stock antennas on TX and RX with the RX mounted on the tail section of a mini talon. Suprisingly failsafe kicked in at 8km out. Altitude was pretty high. Switchted to high power and continued on to 10km then turned around and came back. I am surprised at the reduction in range with the resistor mode, especially that it didn't eliminate the interference issue.

The video transmitter sits more than 20inches away at the nose of the plane and is an 800mW 1.3G Vtx.
I've been out over 20km on low power, and my 800mW VTX is probably closer to my Rlink Rx
and than yours. Either you saw a PPM glitch rather than true low signal, or there's something
else onboard the aircraft spewing noise and reducing your range.
Oh, and ditch the stock Rx antennas. They were fine for ground range testing, but
I've found a dipole works much better onboard the aircraft.
Jan 14, 2016, 09:57 PM
Principal Member
compuatic's Avatar
20km on two dipoles, 1 per sma? Would you expect better than 8km with the stock whiskers?
Jan 14, 2016, 10:51 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
20+km in the air on a single dipole.
I would expect more than 8km on the monopoles, based on my ground range testing, but
I had some issues with em in the air on one of my planes, that went away when I
switched to a dipole.
Jan 16, 2016, 06:07 AM
Registered User
Arxangel's Avatar
I've been out to 13kms on the stock antennas, and my RSSI was still around 90%, I turned around because my 5.8 video was crapping out!
Jan 18, 2016, 09:28 PM
Opt
Opt
Registered User
Does Rlink have a micro power mode for range testing? Cant see anything about it :/
Jan 18, 2016, 09:34 PM
Registered User
Daemon's Avatar
It does. Turn on Tx with with the switch in low power mode and button held down.
Will issue a few long beeps and then light blinks at normal fast rate.
That is micro-power mode, but it's still a little too powerful (lik1 mW) so it'll
still reach out a few hundred meters. To be useful (like the micro power mode Rangelink and DLv2 has)
need to find an appropriate sized attenuator to add to it, while in micro-power mode. Want to get range down
to 30-60m.
Jan 19, 2016, 03:09 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic
I did my first long range attempt today after doing the resistor mod on the rlink module. Stock antennas on TX and RX with the RX mounted on the tail section of a mini talon. Suprisingly failsafe kicked in at 8km out. Altitude was pretty high. Switchted to high power and continued on to 10km then turned around and came back. I am surprised at the reduction in range with the resistor mode, especially that it didn't eliminate the interference issue.

The video transmitter sits more than 20inches away at the nose of the plane and is an 800mW 1.3G Vtx.
Adjust the antennas and try again, I have my two rx stock antennas in L shape, vertical and horizontal. It works well, 34km last time,
I am trying to get better video tx & rx to go further.
20160112rec (1 hr 3 min 35 sec)
Jan 21, 2016, 08:04 PM
Opt
Opt
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
It does. Turn on Tx with with the switch in low power mode and button held down.
Will issue a few long beeps and then light blinks at normal fast rate.
That is micro-power mode, but it's still a little too powerful (lik1 mW) so it'll
still reach out a few hundred meters. To be useful (like the micro power mode Rangelink and DLv2 has)
need to find an appropriate sized attenuator to add to it, while in micro-power mode. Want to get range down
to 30-60m.
Great - thanks for the info
Jan 27, 2016, 05:24 AM
Registered User
edwardjohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic
I did my first long range attempt today after doing the resistor mod on the rlink module. Stock antennas on TX and RX with the RX mounted on the tail section of a mini talon. Suprisingly failsafe kicked in at 8km out. Altitude was pretty high. Switchted to high power and continued on to 10km then turned around and came back. I am surprised at the reduction in range with the resistor mode, especially that it didn't eliminate the interference issue.

The video transmitter sits more than 20inches away at the nose of the plane and is an 800mW 1.3G Vtx.
Well Talon has esc and motor at the back, maybe electromagnetic interference from them?
Feb 05, 2016, 09:06 AM
Can you fly bobby?
MK1G4V's Avatar
Finally got my hands on a RLink system as my last one got lost somewhere in the postal service.

Just powering the Tx up I am noticing a buzzing from my 9Xr pro speaker no change in noise switching from low to high but I'm wondering will this be a problem for my 9Xr other than a little buzzing will my Tx perhaps need shielding?

Cheers!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 433MHz LRS MFDLink (RLink) TX/RX diversity Aries321 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Feb 04, 2016 07:36 PM
Sold MyFlyDream MFDLink 433Mhz LRS (RLink) Aries321 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 0 Dec 18, 2015 09:31 PM
Sold Rlink 16 channel UHF LRS with diversity newbielife5 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Oct 05, 2015 09:09 AM
Sold Rlink 16 channel LRS with diversity newbielife5 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 04, 2015 04:48 PM