Dec 26, 2013, 06:49 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

CLM-Pro Trotter kit

After seeing all those CLM Pro ads in the FS/W section, my curiosity got the better of me and I took a look at their website. One of the interesting things they have is a small HL glider (not DLG) called the Trotter, in both kit and ARF form. I've always been curious as to how they build those built-up/composite wings, so I thought I'd try it and purchased one of their Trotter kits (total came to just under $200 shipped).

Took about 2 weeks to get here, and I started the build on Christmas eve. Anyway, here goes my first attempt at a composite, built-up wing:
to remove ads between posts
Dec 26, 2013, 08:25 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. How easy or difficult was it to glue the carbon to the ribs? I tried it once and it was a messy superglue (ca) mess and I had a difficult time getting them to adhere. That was 15 years ago.

Curtis
Dec 26, 2013, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Curtis,
Adding the cap strips has been the most tedious part so far. What I did was to cut each strip about 3/4" longer than needed. I then put a thin bead of CA+ on top of the rib and the TE. The strip overlaps the carbon D-box by about 1/4". I would use my finger to press the strip on the D-box, and then lay the rest of it on the rib and TE, being careful not to glue my fingers to the structure. To secure the strip to the D-box, I would put a drop of thin CA on the end of the strip, cover my finger with a piece of plastic, and then press it to the D-box for a few seconds. It's one of those tasks you really have to take your time with.

Jon
Dec 27, 2013, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Built the mid panels this morning. Construction pretty much the same as the center section.
Dec 28, 2013, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Finished the tip panels and started assembling the whole wing. I'm still amazed at the strength of such a light structure.
Dec 28, 2013, 09:40 PM
This kit caught my eye as well, but what do you do nowadays with a non DLG HLG? Light slope soarer? My first thought was how I could straighten the wings out, add ailerons, and add an x-tail.

Build looks good so far.
Dec 29, 2013, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146
This kit caught my eye as well, but what do you do nowadays with a non DLG HLG? Light slope soarer? My first thought was how I could straighten the wings out, add ailerons, and add an x-tail.

Build looks good so far.
Hello dion,

thank you for your interest.
Trotter is made as HLG model, it can't be used for DLG as its fuselage isn't strong enough for that type of launching.
You can install a hook on the fuselage which is then used for bungee start, you get better launching height than throwing it with hand.
Model is perfect for fun flying and has better planning than any other DLG model.
I am afraid you won't be able to add ailerons because there is no space on the tip panel to install the servos.
Trotter has V-Tail because it weight less than X-Tail but you can always mount X-Tail.
ON topic: build log looks great so far. Keep it going.

Regards,
Matija
Dec 29, 2013, 08:15 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
We have quite a few new glider pilots in our area and there is some DLG interest but most have not tried it due to their age and the toll it takes on the body. I've tried, unsuccessfully to get folks to purchase a DLG or a model such as this and use a short hi-start that will get them to 150 feet as they will have limited walking and still have the learning experience everyone needs.

Curtis
Dec 29, 2013, 09:42 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
Curtis,

Our club, the Soaring League of North Texas, runs a monthly contest using HLG's on a short highstart. They usually have around ten contestants. We started using the highstarts for the same reason, aging. I have a TopSky I plan to put together some time this winter.

Mark
Dec 29, 2013, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClmPro
Hello dion,

thank you for your interest.
Trotter is made as HLG model, it can't be used for DLG as its fuselage isn't strong enough for that type of launching.
You can install a hook on the fuselage which is then used for bungee start, you get better launching height than throwing it with hand.
Model is perfect for fun flying and has better planning than any other DLG model.
I am afraid you won't be able to add ailerons because there is no space on the tip panel to install the servos.
Trotter has V-Tail because it weight less than X-Tail but you can always mount X-Tail.
ON topic: build log looks great so far. Keep it going.

Regards,
Matija
Thanks Majita, but I've never been able to leave any plane well enough alone. I've converted full house TD ships into RES, and RES into full house. I've converted the same DLG from a straight wing aileron wing into a poly wing, and back again to ailerons. Believe me, I could do the same to yours, but if you say the fuselage is not strong enough for DLG, I don't want to try to fix that.
Dec 29, 2013, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146

Build looks good so far.
Dion, you do make a valid point there. I bought this kit mostly out of interest for the construction technique, and was planning on using it off a small hi-start. Once I received it, however, I decided to convert it to electric so I could have a fly-anywhere small glider for all the small parks in my neighborhood.

While its not suited as a DLG, I think this kit does have a lot of potential uses. I also think it would be nice if CLM-Pro would introduce a larger version, say 2-3m span.

Jon
Dec 29, 2013, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Couldn't help myself. Had to assemble all the basic parts together so I could start making airplane noises!
Dec 30, 2013, 06:51 PM
It's a very nice kit. I've got a histart rubber from HK for $3 and is way better than my wimpy shoulders.
I ordered a second kit (still in the box waiting it's turn to be built) I think I'll try to cut a 6% set of ribs for the second one and see if there is any difference.
Mine came out at 280gr ready to fly and I thought it was too heavy but on good days I have to add ballast for it not to bounce off the thermals.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 AM
3D Toy Designer
trident58 & ferincr

How do they fly, I'm so dang tempted. I heard back from Matija and it ALL sounds good, but I want to hear how she fly's.

Heck, ... I'm thinking about getting it just because I have never done a build using this method or capping the ribs with CF before.

Bill
who is spinning in a circle while deciding
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
May 14, 2014, 09:03 PM
Thread OP
Sorry for vanishing for a few months. I just got real busy at work and got a bit carried away with another hobby. Anyway, I should be back on this build pretty soon.
I gave up my nutty idea of converting this to electric, as the idea of a thermal duration parkflyer has started to grow on me. Mine's going to be built pretty much stock, and I'll make up a small zip start for use in my local park.

Be back soon....

Quick Reply