This thread is privately moderated by Old_Pilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 24, 2013, 03:51 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
Thread OP
Build Log

51" Barovkov D Soviet "Secret" WWII Fighter

Was watching H2 a couple of nights ago..."Secret Russian Aircraft of WWII"
A couple of them stuck with me....one is the AN-40 Flying Tank...easy enough to do....plastic T-60 Russian Tank, a pusher, (2) flat, straight wings, and a twin boom. You could hide everything in the tank.....

But this one is the one I'm going to build after Christmas....just started on the drawings......Borovkov D.....

History: Borovkov D (or BF-D)

This design was started in 1941 by two young Soviet engineers, A.A.Borovkov and I.F.Florov.
It was planned as advanced interceptor powered with one pusher Tumansky M-71 radial engine (2,000hp) assisted
with two Merkulov DM-12 ramjets housed inside the booms. The fixed armament (2x37mm NS-37 and 2x20mm
ShVAK-20 cannon) was installed in the nose of the aircraft. The cockpit featured a pneumatic ejection system
which rotated the seat downwards and fired it clear of the propeller arc. The mockup was almost ready when the
Great Patriotic War interrupted all works on this project.

"D" data:
Span.............14.5m (47.6 ft)
Length..........11.67m (38.29 ft)
Wing area......35m² (377 ft^2)
Top Speed.....837km/h (with ramjets) (520 MPH)
Max. Cruise Speed..600km/h (without ramjets) (372 MPH)

The "D" was designed by A.A.Borovkov and I.F. Florov in 1940/41, it was the most advanced of the USSR's piston engine and combined ramjet designs, the "D" had many advanced features such as 20°swept wings, the ramjets fitted in the twin tail booms and a ingenious design of pneumatic ejection seat.

But it was never to take to the air, because of the German attack on the USSR in 1941 stopped all work on this project, as OKB-7 was in the extreme western USSR.

A.A.Borovkov was killed in an air crash in 1945. I.F.Florov went on to design the Florov 4302 Rocket plane in 1945/46.
Last edited by Old_Pilot; Dec 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added some history
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2013, 05:19 PM
Watt Waster

Barovkov D Soviet Fighter (51")

It does look like a great choice of subject. Following.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Dec 24, 2013, 06:12 PM
Manzano Laser Works
Very interesting choice of subjects! I like the "scale" fin and rudder for the retro look. But either way, it will be pretty cool.

-=Tom=-
Dec 24, 2013, 09:15 PM
Thread OP

51" Barokov

I'll set up a build log and post the link here....plan right now is to build a small chuck glider out of foam (since I've only cut foam once before) to see what her flight characteristics might be, then scale up for BBCC 4 in balsa.

All kinds of problems to solve.......
Dec 25, 2013, 02:27 PM
Foam is where the heart is
I've been considering at this one as the basis for an electric push pull design.
However when trawling through some experimental Russian designs I came across the Grokhovsky G38.
I just have to do it.
Dec 25, 2013, 05:10 PM
Thread OP

Soviet Experimental Aircraft

And we thought the Russians could only design big and clunky.... WRONG... that's a beautiful airplane.....and with twins, should be a handful or two ! If you do a build log, please make sure I know how to get to it....Merry Christmas
Dec 25, 2013, 05:33 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Cheers mate

I'm a bit of a twinoholic (see my blog) so am looking forward to building this one.
The pointed wingtips spell tip stall to me so the first version will be small (800mm) with twin 1700kv blue wonders and probably a kf wing.

If that works out well I will scale it up with a full profile wing.

I'll post a link here.

Looking forward to seeing Barokov take shape. I like unusual planes.
Dec 25, 2013, 09:43 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Think about changing the lift distribution so the tip stays in lift longer....
building some washout into the wing
making the wing root LE fairly sharp
putting a LE droop on the outer third of the wing
adding some little turbolators on the outer third, if not the whole wing (like the recent Visonaire's wing).

Quick Reply