Mar 03, 2004, 10:42 PM
Thread OP

Audio tape to CD ??

I just bought my wife a new car and found that the audio cassette tape player has gone the way of the 8 track. She had her collection of audio tapes that she liked to listen to (Old school) ! Now I am faced with either buying a bunch of CDs, sending the tapes out to be copied, or (best choice) copying them to CDs. I have everything that I need to do this (Hardware wise) but I guess that I will need a software package to capture the tapes to the computer. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend much (anything) as it will be a one-time use. Thanks for any help here.
Mar 03, 2004, 11:52 PM
Pedal Power!
A sound recorder is built into windows at:

start/programs/accessories/multimedia/sound recorder (95)

or:

start/all programs/accessories/entertainment/sound recorder (XP)
Last edited by lakedude; Mar 04, 2004 at 12:11 AM.
Mar 03, 2004, 11:56 PM
Pedal Power!
Your burning software normally has options to convert various formats. If this is not sufficient see cdex at http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ to convert sound formats.
Mar 04, 2004, 12:01 AM
Pedal Power!
pic=1000 words
Mar 04, 2004, 03:45 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
IIRC Windows inbuilt Sound Recorder (at least on W98) is limited to 60 seconds of recording time.

Check out whether your soundcard has any built in packages that can do this. If it's a Soundblaster -type then Creative Labs have bundled Creative Recorder with the card and that is perfectly useable.

There are also inexpensive music recording software packages available that will do what you want and allow some manipulation of the audio files to clean them up to a quality that is listenable. It's fairly simple stuff for any of the audio capture and editing packages. I use a cheapy multitrack program called n-track for getting audio into the PC, mixing and outputting mixed audio .wav files, it's more than you need for what you intend to do but there are several freebie software tools that are simpler and do the same thing.

Some of them are listed here together with a simple explanation of the method

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/ho...458726,00.html

If you have a CD burner then most likely you already have software that can arrange your tracks on the CD and handle the indexing and labelling up.

The software is easy to use, the hardest part is getting an acceptable quality from the tape- which means plenty of head cleaning, good quality non crackly connections and properly monitored record levels.

Good luck

Brian
Mar 04, 2004, 06:01 AM
Pedal Power!
Quote:
IIRC Windows inbuilt Sound Recorder (at least on W98) is limited to 60 seconds of recording time.
It is indeed, sorry I guess I never recorded anything over 60sec.....No way, my old laptop did it somehow....Well anyway it doesn't matter cause I can't figure out how to duplicate the feat.

Please disregard my suggestion.....

EDIT:

Well I found a way to make the sound recorder work for longer then 60 seconds but it looks like a pain in the butt.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...kb;en-us;82215
Last edited by lakedude; Mar 04, 2004 at 06:15 AM.
Mar 04, 2004, 06:43 AM
There are plenty of shareware tools available that will do this. I've done this several times..
..a
Mar 04, 2004, 06:59 AM
Takka-Takka-Takka
Another thing to watch out for is not to record the whole side of a tape as a single .wav file, because then you won't be able to use arguably the most useful feature of the CD- the capability to go straight to a track.

Brian
Mar 04, 2004, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
WOW! Thanks for the response. I also found the 60 second limit. FYI I am running MS W2000 pro. I think the tape noise that we used to accept may be the killer, but I will explore some of the other options. Thanks again.
Mar 04, 2004, 11:15 AM
RC Pilot Extraordinaire
Although this probably isn't the best thing to do, make sure taht you have a good connection and a good virusscan then go to grokster or any ther peer to peer application and try to locate the song titles that someone else has already digitized then just download them intoa folder and then you can sort or whatever to make the CDs that you want.
Mar 04, 2004, 11:41 AM
EDF Head
Its legal to copy your own purchased music for backup purposes so I see no problem in going online and find the tracks there on peer-to-peer networks and burn CD's from that. In most cases these files are from original CD's so background noise is a non issue.

The one who share the files though are not allowed to do so.
Mar 04, 2004, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haldor
Its legal to copy your own purchased music for backup purposes so I see no problem in going online and find the tracks there on peer-to-peer networks and burn CD's from that. In most cases these files are from original CD's so background noise is a non issue.

The one who share the files though are not allowed to do so.
So, this would make the downloader an accessory to a crime?

By your own words, it's legal to copy >your own purchased music< as a backup. That is different than downloading someone ELSE'S copy of that same material, is it not? And therefore illegal?

Rick
Mar 04, 2004, 03:39 PM
RC Pilot Extraordinaire
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectRick
So, this would make the downloader an accessory to a crime?

By your own words, it's legal to copy >your own purchased music< as a backup. That is different than downloading someone ELSE'S copy of that same material, is it not? And therefore illegal?

Rick
I think the way this one works is if ytou download the music then share that music with others on the peer to peer network. I thik what Halkdor is saying that is since he owns the originals that he couldn't get in trouble for the downloads anyway because he has proof of purchase, the original tapes.

I've downloaded millions of files but haven't been sued yet... once while surfing though I did hear a knock on my cyber door and it was the cyber police so I went on a cyber run to get away from them, they caught me and tried to put me in cyber jail but I outsmarted them by turning the power to my computer off. hehehehahahaha
Mar 04, 2004, 04:08 PM
Pedal Power!
Someone know a good simple FREEWARE recorder? I looked last night and most had way too many options and cost money at some point.
Last edited by lakedude; Mar 04, 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Mar 04, 2004, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gastronom <snip>I've downloaded millions of files but haven't been sued yet... <snip> hehehehahahaha
I'm betting it will only take getting caught once to change your mind.

Is the potential risk really worth the small gain? How about having to explain to your wife/boss/mother that you are in jail and now have a criminal record because you stole a few buck's worth of software off the Internet...

Not to me.

Rick

Quick Reply