CPO's Officially Unofficial Tricopter Build :: Step by Step Scratch Build How-To - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 22, 2013, 09:28 PM
cpo
cpo
Build Log

CPO's Officially Unofficial Tricopter Build :: Step by Step Scratch Build How-To

NOTE: If you want to just see one video that shows the design and parts associated with this build, then this might be it. This is the complete build of the CPO 135 Tricopter - shorty version. It's been trimmed down and camera/battery tray removed for aerobatics but it still shows the basic concept with much less detail. All of the other video provide the details on every component.

CPO 135 Tricopter : G10 Shorty - The Aerobatic Version! (23 min 59 sec)

Here's how it's behaving with a little more tuning on the KK. Not bad for an FPV/AV convert, eh?

CPO Tricopter G10 Shorty Test Flight (4 min 52 sec)

Well, it's time.

I decided to kick of my multirotor build, and if you have been keeping up, you know I have picked the tricopter as my aircraft of choice (for now). Nothing against the quads...I am sure I'll build one of those too. : )

You can find the templates here: http://everythingcpo.com/cpo-135-tricopter

Here's the index of all videos related to this build:

========== CPO TRICOPTER BUILD VIDEO INDEX =========

CPO Quick Look : Tricopter 3D Modeling to Design Around GoPro FOV
CPO Symmetrical Tricopter and T-Copter Design Theory and Defining Optimum Center of Gravity Location
CPO Tricopter Build : Introduction and Parts Overview (The bottom of this post)
CPO Tricopter Build : DT750 Motor Prep
CPO Tricopter Build : Body Cut-Out
CPO Tricopter Build : Yaw Mechanism (Rear Motor Tilt)
CPO Tricopter Build : Cutting Booms and Mounting Props and Motors
CPO Tricopter Build : Wiring Harness - Battery to ESCs and BEC
CPO Tricopter Build : Extending ESC Motor Wires
CPO Tricopter Build : Prototyping, Assembly, and Vibration Dampening Camera Tray
CPO Tricopter Build : Zip Tie Landing Gear
CPO Tricopter Build : Flashing KK2.1 Firmware in Mac OSX and Windows
CPO Tricopter Build : KK2.1 Install and Wiring the RX ESCs UBEC and Tail Servo
CPO Tricopter Build : In-Depth Look at Prop Blade and Hub Balancing
CPO Tricopter Build : Basic TX Setup, ESC/AAC Calibration, Arming/Disarming
CPO Tricopter Build / Success! Relocated ESCs and Re-Maiden
CPO Tricopter Build : Flying in Self Level on Default KK2.1 Steveis V1.11S2 Firmware
CPO Tricopter Build : First Test of Vibration Dampening Camera Tray with GoPro
CPO Tricopter Build : Center of Gravity and Quick Night Flight
CPO Tricopter Build : Added FPV Gear and Telemetry
==================================================

CPO Tricopter Build : Introduction and Parts Overview

In this video I simply kick off the "official" build and go over the primary parts I have selected. I'll be working hard to keep the videos as concise as I can, because I know I can get long winded sometimes. However, I also plan to keep them as detailed as I can. Hopefully I can strike a good balance there.

I started with a "design" thread, but now I am moving into the actual build. If you are interested in the design parts (specifically body design, and tricopter theory on optimum center of gravity position and rear boom lengths, you can check it out at:

CPO's Modified Tricopter Design Concept : Building Around GoPro FOV

CPO Tricopter Build : Introduction and Parts Overview

CPO Tricopter Build : Introduction and Parts Overview (3 min 21 sec)

Last edited by cpo; Mar 23, 2014 at 06:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2013, 09:47 PM
I'll be watching, Im waiting on parts from HK to show up for my tri build. Im using pretty much the exact set up you show here, except for the base frame, I've got one of David's cut out of G10.
Dec 22, 2013, 09:52 PM
cpo
cpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassSteam
I'll be watching, Im waiting on parts from HK to show up for my tri build. Im using pretty much the exact set up you show here, except for the base frame, I've got one of David's cut out of G10.
Cool. I always enjoy a build partner! : ) I came really close to ordering the G10 pre-cut bodies...but I sometimes like to take the hard way...
Dec 22, 2013, 11:45 PM
cpo
cpo
CPO Tricopter Build : DT750 Motor Prep

In this video, I take you along as I begin prepping the Hextronik DT750 motors that I am using in my tricopter build.

I epoxy the wires and put on the 3.5mm bullet connectors. I still need to cut the shaft shorter, but I want to wait until I know for sure what method I am going to use to mount the props. That step will come later.

CPO Tricopter Build : DT750 Motor Prep (4 min 37 sec)

Last edited by cpo; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Dec 23, 2013, 08:58 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
CPO,
I'm planning on building David W's Tricopter 2.5 and have all of the parts and pieces on order as per spec.
Everything should be here in the next 3 weeks.
This will be my first MR of any consecequence (the other is Nano Qx) and as such I will be looking over your shoulder as you build yours.

Thanks for documenting the process.

btw... FPV equipment to come later.
This will be my first FPV platform.
Dec 23, 2013, 09:17 AM
cpo
cpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
CPO,
I'm planning on building David W's Tricopter 2.5 and have all of the parts and pieces on order as per spec.
Everything should be here in the next 3 weeks.
This will be my first MR of any consecequence (the other is Nano Qx) and as such I will be looking over your shoulder as you build yours.

Thanks for documenting the process.

btw... FPV equipment to come later.
This will be my first FPV platform.
Nice. It's gonna be fun! This is my first multirotor too. I think this is a great platform.
Dec 23, 2013, 01:38 PM
I've finished building my first tricopter yesterday, and it flies so much better than a quad
Altough I don't have any props in FoV on a 120 setup, I'm really looking closer to yor frame as I lack space on David W's one... Might use this.
Have a nice build !
Dec 23, 2013, 01:51 PM
cpo
cpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by enqz
I've finished building my first tricopter yesterday, and it flies so much better than a quad
Altough I don't have any props in FoV on a 120 setup, I'm really looking closer to yor frame as I lack space on David W's one... Might use this.
Have a nice build !
Cool. Yeah...as I got into the design, I began to appreciate the ability to make room for stuff. : )
Dec 23, 2013, 07:21 PM
Neophyte
Sorry to clutter up your thread with my pics. Can't stop building them with two more in the works. The orange one has DT700 motors and 12 inch props. I like that one the best probably because it is the easiest to see as I'm still learning to fly multirotors.
Dec 24, 2013, 02:21 AM
Just saw the vid picking out the Home Depot wood, I've been in the same exact spot in my HD. doing the same thing! I feel like the crazy lady in the Quickie Mart picking out the perfect dozen eggs. If you need more, try Lowes I've found by me they have some straighter stock.
Dec 24, 2013, 09:05 AM
cpo
cpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregco10
Just saw the vid picking out the Home Depot wood, I've been in the same exact spot in my HD. doing the same thing! I feel like the crazy lady in the Quickie Mart picking out the perfect dozen eggs. If you need more, try Lowes I've found by me they have some straighter stock.
So glad it's not just me! I looked at Lowes...and it was about the same situation...at least there are plenty of places to pick from! : )
Dec 24, 2013, 09:05 AM
cpo
cpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhatsu
Sorry to clutter up your thread with my pics. Can't stop building them with two more in the works. The orange one has DT700 motors and 12 inch props. I like that one the best probably because it is the easiest to see as I'm still learning to fly multirotors.
Super nice...and clean!
Dec 24, 2013, 09:10 AM
cpo
cpo
So, I was tinkering a bit with a traditional 120 degree design...because it really is so simple and configurable. With the 135 degree design, if I want to change the lengths of the booms, I have to do some math to figure out how much to change the front/back because they are different -- and it varies on the amount of change. The simplicity of the 120 degree design is that you can adjust the booms using equal increments.

Here's a quick mock-up of what I have been thinking about... It's for 12.7mm booms, has a 120 spread, and is designed to hold the KK2.x board over the COG location inside of it's protective foam box. I have some mounting ideas that I think will work well for this, and also be protective against flips. For those of you that don't need a wider spread, yet need more room on the body...this might be something to look at.

Dec 27, 2013, 09:48 AM
cpo
cpo
CPO Tricopter Build : Body Cut-Out

In this video, I take you along as I cut out my two body panels (top and bottom) for my tricopter -- starting from printing the plans to the final product. I am building with 1/8 plywood, and using a Dremel for all of the cutting and drilling. There are clearly better ways to do this, but I got what I needed -- a useable tricopter body. I also learned some things for the next time...and that's half the fun! ; -)

CPO Tricopter Build : Body Cut-Out (11 min 1 sec)

Dec 27, 2013, 01:13 PM
Nice build!

Not a big thing but how close will the front arms go to the main frame when folded?
Keep a small gap between the folded arm and the frame to make room for at least a ziptie otherwise you might cut something off when folding the arms.