Skywalker X6 - RC Groups

Skywalker X6

The Skywalker legacy continues...

Skywalker X6

New design with built-in D-sub connectors

The Skywalker X6 is a new flying wing designed for FPV and is available through FPVModel.com (amongst other overseas retailers). The X6 has quite a bit of wing area for its 59" wingspan, and should be able to carry a nice payload of batteries and FPV gear. One of the seldom seen features on foam FPV kits are the D-subminiature (D-sub) 9-pin connectors at the root of each wing. The idea is to solder all of your servo and video transmitter wires to each connector for easy wing removal during transport. If you're handy with a soldering iron (which you should be if you're into FPV) then this should be a relatively easy task.

The center fuselage is quite robust for the Skywalker X6's size and features two hatches with plastic locks. The wings feature pre-cut servo wire channels, servo pockets, and a video transmitter bay (one on each side to choose from). We also like the dogtooth leading edge (similar to a wing fence) designed to reduce stall tendencies at higher angle of attack and slow speeds.

Specs:

• Wing span: 1500mm (59")
  • Wing area: 60dm2
  • Weight: 770g empty

Recommended electronics:

• Motor: 2814KV 980
  • ESC :40-60A
  • Propeller 11X7*
  • Battery: 4S 5000mAh

Link to product web page

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM..
Dec 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
Interesting idea with the built-in d-subs. Get one Matt and let us know how it flies.
Dec 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
RCGroups Editor
Heh. I've got too many FPV planes as-is! But if FPVModel wants to send me one I'll give it a proper review...
Dec 22, 2013, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
Interesting idea with the built-in d-subs. Get one Matt and let us know how it flies.
It's nice that they have the connectors in. But Sub-D's were never intended for blind mating, so I'd be nervous about a partial mate. Nice idea though. Good looking plane too.
Dec 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
Sent by Touch Typing
I want to see a spin recovery first. Electrical connectors in the wing is a good idea, I wonder if this wing will flex like an X8, could make life interesting. Err if anyone is looking for a test pilot And a central fin, that will make a difference too.
Dec 22, 2013, 07:31 PM
competition sailplanes have been using this method for close to 20 years now......
Dec 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
RCGroups Editor
With the size of the spar, and it's proximity to the connector, it should be issue free... Should.
Dec 22, 2013, 09:39 PM
The Aero Scout
What about some flight footage please Matt? It looks like you've got a rig setup, so come on mate, show us how she handles.

Have you got her packed into a hard case yet? Would be great to see how well she transports too.
Dec 22, 2013, 09:48 PM
RCGroups Editor
This is a press release/news article on the X6. I don't have one... yet.
Dec 22, 2013, 11:48 PM
Needs More Go Fast....
I was about to question the motor selection. I was thinking "THERE IS NO WAY.. you would run that big of a prop on a 2,814KV motor.... besides why would you want that high of a KV motor? That would be less efficient! " But then I deicded to look at the website and realized it's just the way it's written: 980/1000KV that makes more sense.
Dec 23, 2013, 07:37 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
The RangeVideo PowerPackage sounds tempting for this new X6.....
Dec 25, 2013, 02:39 AM
OK, I need to select between X6,X7 and x8 . What would be the differences ? I need to mount a Sony Nex in it. Any dimensions of the belly ? I think x6 is wider than x7 ?
Jan 07, 2014, 10:33 AM
AGL Aerial Video Solutions
looks tempting. I lost my X7 to a programming issue with my Open Lrs. It flew great. Big hopes for this guy.
Jan 07, 2014, 05:56 PM
Member #1
I may just get one of these as I crashed my original 1680mm SW but its repairable but I think its time to change. I'm just dreading having to re-tune my OSD Pro RTH settings as now in the SW it's tuned perfectly and returns to home without a single problem.

Another thing I'm not real keen on is the bum waggle you get with wings. I set up a wing a while back and I tried everything possible to eliminate the waggle and just gave up in the end as I just couldn't get it to stop!