This thread is privately moderated by Steveis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 23, 2013, 10:19 AM
iMultirotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmrpm
So on 1.8S1 I got a stick scaling number of 15 for a roll rate that I liked.
But on 1.9S1 I had to go up to 22 to get the same result.
also 1.8 P&I were a little low for my frame, but 1.9 was a little high.

From what I understand, Should that have happened? Not that it was bad, just a observation and I was wondering why.
That's a little odd. Like you said, no big deal, just odd.

I'm using the same settings on 1.8 that I did on 1.7 and it flew the same.
I have 1.9S2 on there now but yet to fly it.
Will be interesting to see if I get the same results.

As far as I'm aware, Stevis only added new features from 1.7 to 1.9.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2013, 03:29 PM
AVR Dude
Thread OP
Quote:
So on 1.8S1 I got a stick scaling number of 15 for a roll rate that I liked.
But on 1.9S1 I had to go up to 22 to get the same result.
also 1.8 P&I were a little low for my frame, but 1.9 was a little high.

From what I understand, Should that have happened? Not that it was bad, just a observation and I was wondering why.
A little odd. Did you change the MPU6050 Settings from the default of 2000deg/sec and 8g?

The only other change I made was to normalise the gyro and acc centre around 512 (you see slightly different values displayed in Sensor Test. But I don't think that would have changed the P&I / SS values you need.
Dec 23, 2013, 04:28 PM
@Steveis,
Loaded 1.9S2 late yesterday......it's now magic. Spoke to Senator315 on the phone about it and I used some of his P&I and SS settings and its all good. Ten minutes of tuning and it flies as good if not better than the old KK2.0, I don't fly self level much these days but I flicked the switch and it seems a lot smoother/refined with the 6050 onboard.
Well done Sir.
Your work is appreciated.
Dec 23, 2013, 05:39 PM
I'm going flying..........
No MPU6050 Settings changed in 1.8 or 1.9. Both were tested on 600mm A-tail frame and both had same changes to motor mix 3&4 rudder to adjust from stock v-tail load. I'll watch for Senator315 1.9 flight report and also retest mine on 1.8 to confirm it's not a Machine/frame issue that developed post crash (video posted in 1.8 blog thread)
Dec 23, 2013, 06:13 PM
AVR Dude
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencardigan
My two KK2.1 running 1.9S2 are reading the battery voltage low by 0.3 and 0.4 volts.
I have adjusted the voltage so it reads the same as the KK2.0. This is included in 1.9S3. A few other cosmetic changes also made.
Dec 23, 2013, 11:23 PM
iMultirotors
Quote:
No MPU6050 Settings changed in 1.8 or 1.9. Both were tested on 600mm A-tail frame and both had same changes to motor mix 3&4 rudder to adjust from stock v-tail load. I'll watch for Senator315 1.9 flight report and also retest mine on 1.8 to confirm it's not a Machine/frame issue that developed post crash (video posted in 1.8 blog thread)
Just flew 1.9S2 and it's as you said.
I had to lower PG from 270 to 200 and IG from 430 to 280 and raise SS from 16 to 31.
It still doesn't feel as nice as 1.8. So what changed?
Dec 24, 2013, 01:49 AM
That makes me feel better, I gave it a good go but could not get it as good as 1.8 was right from the go.
I've got video of the process, but it was getting dark.
Last edited by rpmrpm; Dec 24, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Dec 24, 2013, 01:52 AM
AVR Dude
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator315
It still doesn't feel as nice as 1.8. So what changed?
It's probably due to this:

Corrected code to get an extra 1 bit of resolution on gyro and acc.

Can you go to mpu settings and change gyro to 1000 deg per second to see if it fly's the same as V1.8 (V1.8 P&I settings, SS and the flying feeling).

The lower the gyro deg/sec, the more accuracy for the fc corrections but if you exceed the deg/sec when flying, we all know what happens! You can check sensor max min after flying to check if you are getting close to the limit but put it into SL before arming and before landing and disarming to only capture max min results when in the sky with SL off.

Also try acc +/-4g but that should only make SL the same as V1.8.
Last edited by Steveis; Dec 24, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Dec 24, 2013, 01:58 AM
iMultirotors
Spent some more time tuning 1.9S2.

Using the same settings from 1.8 didn't work well at all.
Motors were getting hot, flight time reduced by ~50%.

Final settings it flies nice, about the same as 1.8 but not quite as crisp.

Both 1.8 and 1.9 settings for comparison

Limits on both are at default.

1.8S1
P/R
P Gain 270
I Gain 430
Yaw
P Gain 215
I Gain 215
Stick Scaling 16

1.9S2
P/R
P Gain 122
I Gain 109
Yaw
P Gain 168
I Gain 114
Stick Scaling 32

Steveis, is it possible for you to compare 1.8 to 1.9 FW to see what changed apart from the added features.
1.7 and 1.8 both fly the same with same settings.
Dec 24, 2013, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis

Can you go to mpu settings and change gyro to 1000 deg per second to see if it fly's the same as V1.8 (V1.8 P&I settings, SS and the flying feeling).

The lower the gyro deg/sec, the more accuracy for the fc corrections but if you exceed the deg/sec when flying, we all know what happens! You can check sensor max min after flying to check if you are getting close to the limit but put it into SL before arming and before landing and disarming to only capture max min results when in the sky with SL off.

Just did quick garage "hop flight test" 1.9
P&I back to stock 250
SS at 16 ( where I liked it on 1.8)
6050 gryo set to 1000
no change to acc, 8

Had a nervous feel w/SL ON or OFF like 1.9 still, I will try to get a proper full flight on the way to work tomorrow.
Dec 24, 2013, 02:16 AM
iMultirotors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveis

I tried +/-4g, made no difference.

I will try it at 1000d/s and let you know.

I put SL on after some acro and it was way off level, and that's at 2000d/s.
Then I tried arming with SL on, flew a bit, not going past 30 and it lost it's level quickly.

I checked the sensor limit after acro.
Rotation was around 870 on one axis, the other two lower.
Acc was at 7.9g on two, the other lower.

If I may, can I suggest you remove that 1 bit of resolution?
I don't know how all this works and how all these things relate to each other, all I can tell you is how it flies.
1.8 is easier to tune and flies nicer without that extra bit.

Hope I'm not coming across as ungrateful, as I really appreciate the work you've put into this.
Dec 24, 2013, 03:07 AM
iMultirotors
Tried 1000d/s, it just made it slower, like if I lowered the SS but PI needed to go lower again.

I will test 1.9S3 asap.

Quick Reply