Dec 20, 2013, 11:04 PM
Build Log

Laser Design Services 72 in. Cessna 170

I started building this plans only plane a couple weeks ago. It's based on an old SIG kit which is based on Berkeley drawings dated 1954 which I just discovered today. I'm wondering if anyone has built it. I've not found any mention of it on any threads.

I've framed the fuselage, built the stabilizer and elevator. I sheeted the horizontal stabilizer but am considering monokote for the elevator to save weight.

This is my first plans build though I've done several kits including a Jenny which was more like from plans than a kit. I'll post a couple build photos.

The threads here are helpful. Suggestions welcome!

Martin
to remove ads between posts
Dec 24, 2013, 10:21 PM
FICKLE FLYER
What is the quality of the LDS kit? Planning on ordering a short kit for a P-39 from them.
Dec 24, 2013, 11:02 PM
This is my first short kit from anyone so can't compare. It's also my first short kit type of project though I've built several kits. It seems okay to me. The plans have been modified from the original to allow for ailerons, flaps & elevator, none of which were included in the original kit years ago. I can tell you more after I've done more building. I finished the basic fuselage stabilizer and rudder Now. Still trying to figure out how best to mount the elevator and rudder.
Dec 26, 2013, 09:07 PM
Progress to date
Dec 31, 2013, 04:55 PM
I've made some more progress. I have ordered some preformed leading edge pieces but the thing about the correct. Guess I'll do some modifications and try to use them anyway. I just needed to warm up in my garage so I can work on it with my sander. Its been 9 degrees last couple days so it may be awhile !
Dec 31, 2013, 05:48 PM
Play that funky music right
I ordered and received a Zlin 526 short kit from LDS. The wing is a mess and the fuse while better is not what I expected from a laser cut kit. I started a build thread in "Balsa builders".

Ken
Jan 13, 2014, 09:22 PM

More progress

I now have all the major components built, fuselage wings and tail feathers. Waiting for the landing gear which I had custom made. Have installed the servos for the tail feathers and the fuel tank. As soon as the landing gear arise and I have it installed I'll sheet the fuselage. Also need to cut in the ailerons and install the servos for them. Then I will join the wings together. It's gone pretty smoothly so far. But still a long way to go. I've pretty well settled on the OS Max AX 55 engine. I'm still contemplating how I will actually found the wings on the airframe.
Last edited by Huyettmeh; Jan 14, 2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added photo
Jan 14, 2014, 02:37 PM

Photo of Berkeley Cessna 170 progress

I now have all the major components completed as framework.
Jan 14, 2014, 07:17 PM
FICKLE FLYER
So, were all the parts from LDS cut correctly, and match the plans?
Jan 14, 2014, 10:12 PM
Most were cut correctly. A couple in the elevator and stabilizer has to be modified but I believe all the rest were pretty close to plan. The plans with you LDS provides are copies of the sig kit plans. They are quite close to the original Berkeley plans but there are variations. There are lots of things to figure out along the way. But for me that has been part of fun. I felt like some of the material from which the parts were cut may not have been the best for that part. Not a biggie but required a little beefing up in a couple places.
Jan 16, 2014, 10:35 PM
Have the wings all sanded down ready to install the servo mounting materials. Look in great detail at how the two wings are connected the center section. Still waiting for the landing gear from TNT landing gear. Can't do much more on the fuselage till I get that.
Jan 19, 2014, 06:25 PM

More Progress

Wings are essentially ready to cover - after I join them, the next big task. Landing gear arrived and is installed. Now I can finalize the fuselage and sheet it.
Last edited by Huyettmeh; Jan 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Add photos
Jan 25, 2014, 07:49 AM
This has turned out to be a major undertaking. I'm glad o am doing it but will also be glad when it flies successfully!
Last edited by Huyettmeh; Jan 25, 2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add photos
Jan 28, 2014, 12:04 PM

Closing in on the wing

Assembled the two sides of the wing and pretty much have the structure ready for the leading edge sheeting.
Feb 07, 2014, 05:36 PM
I'm quite pleased with the way the engine is fitting. I had to remove quite a bit from the extension blocks in order to make the ASP FS52AR engine fit with the prop washer in the correct place relative to the front of the engine cowl and have the prop where it belongs as specified on the plan. Now I need to run the fuel lines into the engine compartment, figure out where to put the refueling valve and remote glow connector, battery switch, etc. Once all those things are done the Fuselage will be on the downhill side.

Oh yes, I think I'll use the plan design and mount the wing with rubber bands. I have spent a lot of time considering other mounting approaches but due to the design of the upper fuselage area I think the rubber bands are the best way to go. Anything else will require significant work on the fuselage and will likely take up space in the cabin. I'd like to keep the windows as clear as possible for aesthetics.

Quick Reply