Dec 19, 2013, 07:54 PM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
Build Log

robbe Dusseldorf kit

I'm taking on the build of this older "kit" (not sure the vintage?) that robbe used to produce.
I've always wanted to build one with all of the operating functions.

46" long, 10" beam.

This project will probably require a fair amount of time, having never delved into the design and fabrication of all of the functions and their electronics. If all goes as planned, she'll be built with all of the optional electronic bits: the monitors, crane, anchor winch, radar, lights, searchlight, blue light, horn and siren.

I'll need to procure most all of the electronics, minus the water pump and diesel sound board. The twin stick F14 Navy transmitter looks promising, as well as the robbe 3.3:1 twin motors.

robbe still offers the boat, but it is now an ARTR with the option to purchase additional servos & pump to make the fire monitors operational.

So far, I've built the stand.
Next thing to do is to cut down the hulls' excess ABS, followed by rudder(s) installation.

I'll be seeking advice along the way.

Thanks, Paul
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2013, 08:50 PM
That'a a big boat!! NICE!!
Dec 20, 2013, 08:42 AM
The sound board is just an oscillator that will speed up or slow down depending on the driving voltage which is supplied from the connection to the motor. I don't know if you hook the motor in series or in parallel. Measuring the resistance between the two FS connections should point out the proper connection. A low resistance would mean a series connection, the power goes thru the sound board and then the motor. A high resistance would mean parallel, the power lead would go to the sound board and the motor, the ground lead would go to other side of the motor and the other terminal of the sound board. This won't work on both brushed and brushless motors, one or the other. Likely brushed.
Mark
Dec 20, 2013, 12:13 PM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieven
The sound...motors, one or the other. Likely brushed.
Mark
Thanks Mark.
I'll be sure to check out the resistance when installing.

This sound board doesn't show up on the wiring diagram, or was never intended in the first place, perhaps.
Last edited by SF Sloper; Dec 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Dec 20, 2013, 07:35 PM
The sound module has 3 wire sets that connect to 6-12 v battery connect and observe polarity
As in paper. Speaker connects on one end. Input to oscillator connects across motor terminals. The motor has to be brushed DVD voltage.
I have one of these and sound is not very realistic. I don't use it.
You should have room in boat for speaker for siren and horn.
Diesel sound needs space for third
Dec 21, 2013, 08:44 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
Jim is this your Dusseldorf at Kohler? Scott has Paul Littel's old one so I'm not sure which this is.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:44 AM
Have a similar kit - taken awhile to build it. Would like to redo/rebuild the cabin arrangement. Saw a similar rebuild on the Speckles Lake site but not enough photos to see how it was done. Perhaps someone else has some info.
Look forward to seeing this progress - thanks for posting.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prins Willem
Jim is this your Dusseldorf at Kohler? Scott has Paul Littel's old one so I'm not sure which this is.
This is my Dusseldorf. Paul,
I used the vantec radio to reliably control everything and a vantec mixer to allow the boat to rotate on it's own axis without a bow thruster. My siren came from a little toy police car. Ram was source for blue light blinker,bilge pump and the horn. Servocity.com was source for plastic chain and sprocket to move the crane.Small Parts, inc was source for the quick connector to connect water pump to the 2 fire monitors on the cannon.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:02 PM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
Thanks to all expressing interest in the Dusseldorf.
I too have used Vantec speed controls on my other boats. Very nice units.
I've also been researching Action Electronics in the UK who supply a myriad of electronic goodies. Their web site has a wiring diagram for this boat and others.
I have much to do and will be back on the build very soon.
Paul
Dec 28, 2013, 12:25 PM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshander
This is my Dusseldorf. Paul,
I used the vantec radio to reliably control everything and a vantec mixer to allow the boat to rotate on it's own axis without a bow thruster. My siren came from a little toy police car. Ram was source for blue light blinker,bilge pump and the horn. Servocity.com was source for plastic chain and sprocket to move the crane.Small Parts, inc was source for the quick connector to connect water pump to the 2 fire monitors on the cannon.
I placed my order for two robbe Navy Compact motors from Harbor Models per robbe's plans.

Can you tell me which Vantec ESC you used?
The RDFR21 looks like a good choice for the Dusseldorf, but it is pricey.

Thanks, Paul
Last edited by SF Sloper; Jan 25, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Dec 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
I trimmed the ABS hull today.
The boats' profile has taken shape.
Dec 29, 2013, 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Sloper
I placed my order for two robbe Navy Compact motors from Harbor Models per robbe's plans.

Can you tell me which Vantec ESC you used?
The RDFR21 looks like a good choice for the Dusseldorf, but it is pricey.

Thanks, Paul
Paul,
That is the one I
Used. Sometimes that unit is 1/2 price use on eBay
2 good fwd reverse mtroniks speed controls amt to same price

Jim
Dec 29, 2013, 11:46 AM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshander
Paul,
That is the one I
Used. Sometimes that unit is 1/2 price use on eBay
2 good fwd reverse mtroniks speed controls amt to same price

Jim
Thanks Jim.
Jan 03, 2014, 03:42 PM
Which way is it blowing?
Thread OP
The deck has been planed and sanded.
Holes drilled for the shafts, rudders, water intake and anchors.
I've attached the ABS deck support strips and rubbing strips.

I started on the rudders.
The materials list says "Die-cut ply parts".
It turns out they are not cut completely through, but die-cut/scribed, very shallow, something I didn't anticipate.
All of the pieces need to be cut out, preferably with a good scroll saw.
I am now dead in the water, so to speak, until I can get my hands on one.

Any suggestions on how to cut these pieces otherwise, would be appreciated.

Paul
Jan 04, 2014, 01:24 AM
Paul,
I used an electric scroll saw with a fine cut blade. It cuts like butter and leaves edges smooth with very narrow kerf. This is what woodworkers use to cut out jig saw puzzles. Your work looks great!
Jim

Quick Reply